Tdi gelatinous sludge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently picked up another project car, anyone want to chime in on causes of this amount of sludge. 2003 Tdi Vw with 148k miles, turbo failed due to clogged supply line go figure! Previouse owner swears he did 10k oil change full synth. The car was only driven in the summer, parked each winter. No information on brand or diesel specific oil, or if it was changed before parking for the winter.

Thanks!

Matt

Last edited:
wow that looks real nasty. nice name btw that is mine also :O)

What are you plans for the car ?

Thanks for the pics

Originally Posted By: Chugchug
anyone want to chime in on causes of this amount of sludge.

He certainly could have been using synthetic, just the wrong oil for the application. This is what happens what you use gas engine oil in a TDI.

Ask him, specifically, what oil he was using.

By chance was this a WVO car?

That was my first inclination as well gas oil in diesel. Soot was not suspended in oil, settled out in winter, Previous owner is no longer returning phone calls.

Matt

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the technology. We have the capability to rebuild the world's first super-sludged engine. Matt will be that man. Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster.
48.gif

Originally Posted By: 05ChevyI5
Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the technology. We have the capability to rebuild the world's first super-sludged engine. Matt will be that man. Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster.
48.gif

This. I like this enthusiasm.

Previouse owner swears he did 10k oil change full synth.

Yeah sure he did.....
29.gif

Originally Posted By: CHARLIEBRONSON21
48.gif

This. I like this enthusiasm.

Agreed keep us updated with some pics of the process.

48.gif

Yes, don't forget the $6,000,000

Ten years of wrong oil, no soot suspension, and long intervals of sitting in the cold for the collection of goo at the bottom of the pan? I'm a believer.
If you rebuild, '03s had a poor alternator history. Be advised.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
By chance was this a WVO car?

This was my thought as well.

Usually just using gasser oil on 2003 and earlier TDIs leads to faster cam and crank bearing wear... plenty of those were dis-serviced as the stealership with gasser Syntec 5w30 for many, many years.

10k oci with synth oil?

I am another person in the "not very likely" camp.

Time for a low mileage second hand engine.

You will need to spends massive amounts of money getting that engine back up and running reliably.

The only situation i can see when the previous owner was telling the about the oil changes is if there was significant diesel contamination of the oil which can cause the oil to turn into a thick black vaseline like substance.

But i have only ever seen it in dpf equipped vehicles that have had repeated failed regens and the oil and filter was not changed at the same time as a forced regen.

Only a small number of Citreon and Peugeot vehicles had dpf back in 03 and i don't think many would have got to the US as they were hardly sold in the UK.

Perhaps it was overfueling in some way.

UOA would confirm if it was caused by diesel in the sump.

Which would also mean it will need fuel system problems fixed also.

Good luck with this project

Originally Posted By: 285south

Previous owner is a LIAR!! He never changed the oil like in 3 years.

I should know, I drove my car's dino oil 8000 miles averaged, sometimes 10K, and one time to like 11.4K

My link to pix of what mine looked like:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3132705#Post3132705

Was your car petrol or a turbodiesel like the OP?

This motor is still putting up good compression in all cylinders, Cam shows no excessive wear, will update.

Its obvious that the owner didn't use properly spec'd oil and very likely shot tripped the vehicle which never got the oil up to operating temp and didn't adjust the interval to compensate for "severe service".
So pure and simple it was neglect.

OP. Even if compression is good you still have to tear the engine apart to inspect everything.
Or risk a weak link taking out the entire engine and all your effort wasted.
At this point is a few more hours really a big deal.
I personally wouldn't risk it. I'd hot tank everything and get everything tested for micro-cracks,because with that kind of sludge we can expect the engine when it was running would have had numerous hot spots the oil was failing to properly cool not to mention an overheat or 2.
Why risk it,you've got it apart anyways.
And yes please update your thread. In interested in your progress.
Good luck breathing new life into it. Got a bigger turbo for it yet?
More boost equals more fun.

Originally Posted By: bigjl
Originally Posted By: 285south

Previous owner is a LIAR!! He never changed the oil like in 3 years.

I should know, I drove my car's dino oil 8000 miles averaged, sometimes 10K, and one time to like 11.4K

My link to pix of what mine looked like:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3132705#Post3132705

Was your car petrol or a turbodiesel like the OP?

I don't mean to speak for 285south, but you can tell pretty easily from the pictures that he has a 4-cylinder spark ignition turbodiesel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back