White headlight bulbs & exterior & interior?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I am not a fan of the blue tint everyone drives around with. NO HID's for me.
What headlight, interior and exterior bulbs put out a true bright white light?

I've went LED but still get the blue hue. Went back to new OEM's still to yellow.

I was driving in Dallas the other night and an 08-13 GMC truck passed me with some of the brightest white lights I've ever seen. Headlights, tag lights and interiors were on and you could see them when he passed me.

Thanks

I can appreciate that you don't like blue tinted lights, but not "everyone" has them and not all HID's are blue.
HIDS bulbs come in various specs with OEM being 4200-4300k and that's not blue, but more whitish yellow. The new CBI bulb from Osram is a 5000k bulb and starts out with very slight blue in it for about 15-20hrs of use, then it color shifts to pure white. So if you did consider HID they'd be what you are looking for. For more info on this check out
HidPlanet.com
For halogen lights Philips has the 3rd gen 9012LL (HIR2) bulb that can be adjusted to fit a 9006 housing. It's rated at 1875L and isn't pure white but is whiter than stock halogens. It also uses stock wattage so no wiring adjustments are necessary.
Not sure about the interior lighting but the site above will definitely cover it.

One can have a "white" LED but still dislike it if it has bad "Color rendition Index" (CRI). I'm not up on HIDs but if one got a prism into that light beam they could see what it's "made of".

An old school overdriven halogen light would have near perfect CRI and be a pleasure to be behind.

HID's to me are blinding for others unless you do them right. A friend put them in his 09 Silverado and they looked good but the light was scattered and when he drives in the rain you can't see [censored]. Almost like driving in a heavy fog using a flashlight. LOL

When reading on LED's one site will say 6000K is a bright white and other say 4500K.
Too confusing for me.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Philips Xtreme Power bulbs and a headlight harness to get the best bang for the buck with halogens.

Why a headlight harness?

What about GE NightHawks?

One other issue is finding matching bulbs for the FOG lights.

Originally Posted By: dksram
Originally Posted By: sciphi
Philips Xtreme Power bulbs and a headlight harness to get the best bang for the buck with halogens.

Why a headlight harness?

What about GE NightHawks?

Simple physics. More current to halogen bulbs = filaments burn hotter = whiter light. The brighter bulbs also "fill out" the beam pattern better, especially downrange and to the sides. Not only does it look cool, it improves nighttime vision. It's also 100% legal since it does not modify the OEM headlights or bulbs.

Nighthawks will do just fine. Do upgrade the headlight harness with those bulbs too.

What type of bulbs does your vehicle take?

When done properly, HID's are not going to blind other drivers. I would say that they are far more valuable forssomeone who does mostly back road driving as opposed to city, but I have a hard time going back to Halogens anymore.

Regarding the other bulbs, I switched to LED for my 328, 325, and M3, for interior, exterior indicators (minus front corners), Plate light, and puddle lamps.

One thing I love about BMW is their use of a red/orange light for instrument panel, as well as a very dim but noticeable light that is always on and shines down onto the center of the interior, illuminating the console, shifter, etc.
The color makes it so night vision is retained yet all interior controls are immediately visible.

It surprised me, somewhat, to find that the total alternator output was down a fair bit after converting to LED's, even with underdrive pulleys.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
What do you mean by "matching"? Those fog lights are not fashion accessories!

Who wants white headlights and yellow looking FOGs? I don't and I prefer all the bulbs be the same color.

5K headlights and 5K fogs is what I'm trying to say. If I did 6K headlights and 4K fogs the light emitted would not look good to me.

Originally Posted By: dksram
Originally Posted By: Vikas
What do you mean by "matching"? Those fog lights are not fashion accessories!

Who wants white headlights and yellow looking FOGs? I don't and I prefer all the bulbs be the same color.

Me, for one. Yellow cuts through fog better than a more blue light. There's not as much blue light present to be refracted through the water molecules. I run either clear-lens or yellow-tinted fogs on both cars. Our Fit's OEM H11 fogs have a yellow film over the lens, and they are great for spotting the sides of the road in inclement weather.

The lights are there so that you can see better (without annoying or blinding the incoming traffic). Yellow fogs are the best to cut through fog.

Most BITOGer don't bother matching their lipstick color with their attire :)

OEM headlight systems often leaves a lot to be desired. They use 18 or 20 gauge wire to feed the bulbs, and then use long-life/low-light bulbs on top of it. So, a bulb that starts dim gets dimmer when the amount of power reaching it is reduced. Even a half-volt drop makes a noticeable difference in light output. That's great for bulb life since the bulb isn't burning as bright, and horrible for seeing anything.

My Cruze's headlights look white from outside the car, look white on the road, and have good throw on both low and high beam. Better bulbs along with a headlight harness to get those bulbs more power made a noticeable difference over stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back