Post Cold Start Videos

Status
Not open for further replies.
The title is pretty self explanatory. I did this a week or two ago, when it was really cold, and meant to post it then, but got lazy and forgot till tonight.

The first one is the focus after sitting outside at work all day, less than 10 degrees, 3 degrees at the time of the cold start. Running synpower 0W-20 and a FRAM Ultra filter.

This one is after I drove home and got gas. It starts so quiet here you can barely hear it in the video.

Last edited:
I cant hear the engine is that cabin noise insulation good.. or your recording instrument not so good?

Originally Posted By: Rand
I cant hear the engine is that cabin noise insulation good.. or your recording instrument not so good?

Well the microphone in my camera is decent, but it still sounds pretty quiet even in the car, and it's pretty much inaudible while idling warm.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Note how quick the oil pressure goes out on my home brewed 10W(ish) light 40.

Just because the oil pressure light goes out doesn't mean everything is being lubricated.

^^^haha, oh so true!

The oil light goes out in many of our vehicles at around 6-8 psi, hardly what you would call optimal oil pressure!

Is it ok to start the engine on a cold start in that temperature range and then shut it down like the OP did in the very first video???

Wouldn't you want it to at least run a minute or two before shutting it down?

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Just because the oil pressure light goes out doesn't mean everything is being lubricated.

touche...

That's correct, as most of the wear occurs when everything is flowing, and the oil is warming...thus my target of 1.2% ash in my blend, and a dash of MoS2

Originally Posted By: accent2012
Is it ok to start the engine on a cold start in that temperature range and then shut it down like the OP did in the very first video???

Wouldn't you want it to at least run a minute or two before shutting it down?

In reciprocating engine I doubt it matters.

In Wankel(rotary) it would be a certain engine flood.

My '04 CVLX after work this morning. It was 21F outside at the time and it had been sitting about 10 hours.

Some noise from a pulley bearing you can hear.

Then I came home and ran the '02 CVPI

Last edited:
You guys gotta be kiddin'...

When it's cold, I'm gonna run out, start it and dive back into the house till it warms up a bit... Video ain't happnin'...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back