23psi bpv oil filter for WRX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
BEFORE any migration from original (Tokyo Roki) filter into Wix (57712 for EJ only, 57830 for FB only) the main question is:
What is filtration efficiency of original filter?

This question can be settled relatively easily.

Someone needs to install a DP gauge setup and measure DP with several filters. You could make a simple one by finding an adapter to go under the filter that has a port on each side of the filter oil flow (an aftermarket adapter for a cooler might work). Install a DP gauge or a single gauge on each side and read off the difference in pressures at various temps, loads and rpms. If the factory filter has significantly lower DP than the rest, you know it's a higher flow unit. If the others are equal, nearly equal or better, then you know "flow" is not an issue.

I think you guys are trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist. The filter manufacturers have access to data that we don't. Even it they don't physically test each part number of a vehicle, it logical to assume they check the data to make sure the part number meets the necessary specifications on paper at least.

Bypass pressure is as much based on the filter media as anything. A better flowing media (either via the amount of media or the type) might have a lower bypass setting. Sometimes the bypass setting is based on how much DP the media can accept. DP is also very dependent on the oil viscosity, as I have learned via the DP setup I have on my Ford 5.4L. With 30 grade oil, I was much closer to bypass, or bypassing more, than with the spec'ed 5W20 which basically never reaches bypass DP unless I rev to 5,000 rpm with the oil at 0F.

In any case, if someone wants to be a Subie Superhero and answer this question, it's a relatively simple process.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tenderloin
It appears the TR filter that is for the S2 RX8 is N3R1-14-302. y Pass rating is 20.3—26.1 PSI About $10+ ea. with crush washers (pack of 6) delivered (2 places I checked) Filter is longer

I tried the Wix 57055/NAPA Gold 7055 in my FXT and had oil seeping through the gasket into the cup around the filter. Tried tightening the filter a bit more and still had seepage, switched back to a blue Subie filter tightened normally and had no oil escaping. I was warned about the square (and apparently solid) gaskets on the Wix filter and didn't listen, seems like there is a real issue with these sealing properly (assume it would vary from one example to another).
I do not like the thin case on the blue filters as I can feel it flexing in my hand when I tighten it (and I do not go all gorilla on the things), so I ordered a couple of the Mazda filters mentioned above on Amazon...$10 each with free shipping. If I like them, I will look into what the price would be at the Mazda dealer a couple of miles from my work.

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Mazda-N3R1-14-302-Filter-Cartridge/dp/B00HG7G3VA/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Subaru%7C13&Model=Forester%7C57&Year=2014%7C2014&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&newVehicle=1&s=automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive

(I bought from Avondale Mazda instead of Amazon itself)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back