"Belgian" Castrol Edge Syntec 0W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw it yesterday at Autozone here. It looks like Castrol is now making two flavors of 0W-30, one for Euro (SPT "A3" German made Castrol) and one for U.S. cars meeting the SN rating...

Are you saying you saw Castrol 0w-30 with API SN rating on the label? Pics please.
smile.gif

You know, I was in a hurry and didn't check. But I will take pic's today of what I saw. It may well not be "SN" rated, it said "U.S." on front of the bottle though. "Made in Belgium" was on the back...

Last edited:
Okay, have some pics. bottle of 0W-30 Euro formula Syntec has an orange on black color scheme, is SL rated, and states it meets the ACEA A3 spec. It is made in Belgium...

I could have sworn there was another version of 0W-30 with a yellow trim scheme that said "U.S." on the front. But I can find no evidence of it.
frown.gif

Not sure about the 5W-50, but the previous "German" version had high levels of zinc (over 1000 ppm) and used magnesium as the primary detergent over calcium...

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Not sure about the 5W-50, but the previous "German" version had high levels of zinc (over 1000 ppm) and used magnesium as the primary detergent over calcium...

I think the 5W50's claim to fame is high zinc as well. Wonder if the 5W50 and 0W30 use the same add pack,with viscosity the only differing factor?

I imagine this version is also high in zddp as I noticed its still SL rated. No idea on the rest though.

I dunno if the formula is very similar or this is the result of Castrol simply consolidating their suppliers to a single European production facility in Belgium. But I'm guessing it's identical to the German made stuff judging by the nice look of the 0W-40.

I also suspect there is a possibility they may be gradually phasing out the SL-rated 0W-30 and simply replacing the Euro flavor with the 0W-40 as it can still be high in zinc and meet the SN classification --while possibly updating the 0W-30 to SN after some time. But that's merely speculation...

Incidentally, it depends on what your putting it in of course, but for anything newer I'd go with the Belgian Castrol 0W-40 over the 5W-50. I think the base oils are beyond just group III and it is also high in zinc...

LINK to VOA's.

I also suspect there is a possibility they may be gradually phasing out the SL-rated 0W-30 and simply replacing the Euro flavor with the 0W-40 as it can still be high in zinc and meet the SN classification

Yeah, that's what I've been saying, too. The 0w-40 already meets all the same stringent euro mfg specs, so the 0w-30 is now redundant.

Not true, calcium is dominant over magnesium. See the UOA for my BMW.

Scott

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3222757/'03_BMW_330Ci_M54,_German_Cast#Post3222757

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I also suspect there is a possibility they may be gradually phasing out the SL-rated 0W-30 and simply replacing the Euro flavor with the 0W-40 as it can still be high in zinc and meet the SN classification

Yeah, that's what I've been saying, too. The 0w-40 already meets all the same stringent euro mfg specs, so the 0w-30 is now redundant.

Perhaps. But if that were true, why would Castrol move production to Belgium and create brand new packaging. If they are going to discontinue it, it sure seems like a lot of work for nothing.

Scott

I'm guessing the production switch-around has to do with Porsche specs and Castrol wanting to compete directly with M1 0w-40 for the owners of those cars.

Okay, have some pics. bottle of 0W-30 Euro formula Syntec has an orange on black color scheme, is SL rated, and states it meets the ACEA A3 spec. It is made in Belgium...

Is it still LL-01 approved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back