AC Delco vs Mopar vs Motorcraft parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thought I'd throw this question out there for fun. Out of the three, who has the higher quality parts? Interested in seeing the answers
smile.gif

Motorcraft is the only one who hasn't used junk e cores at some point in their oil filters.

Not sure if you can compare oem to oem since most parts are vehicle specific but I've had good experience with Motorcraft so far.

I'm a UPS diesel semi mechanic but started off as a car mechanic at a dealer eons ago.
It seemed many AC Delco parts were designed to have a limited lifespan. It's as if GM didn't want a bunch of 1996 Cavaliers still on the road in 2014 unlike a 96' Civic which many are still running around.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Just thought I'd throw this question out there for fun. Out of the three, who has the higher quality parts? Interested in seeing the answers
smile.gif

No one brand makes only good parts.

Folks 'know what they know', so there are a lot of anecdotal favorites, but it really depends on which part for what platform.

I stick with vintage Mopar NOS parts for my K car.This modern stuff is junk.Its not ther brand of the parts (Mopar/MC/Delco) its who made them and to what spec.The best company in the world could make a part but if the OEM spec'd a lousy grade thats what you get.Like Ford demanding that the supplier of the TeleTouch shift motor for the 58 Edsel make it unable to withstand heat and water and make it a weakling that couldnt force the trans out of park when the pawl is jammed on an incline.Thats bad engineering,not a bad brand or maker....

I have had great luck with Motorcraft parts: USA made, reasonably priced, high quality, and long lived. They remind me of what an OEM part should be - somebody else put in the time and effort to find the best part at the right price.

AC Delco, on the other hand, has been a constant let down. Chinese spark plug wires that become brittle, crack and last barely a year, a hub assembly without a threaded stud. I used to replace my pitman arm and idler arm every 20k miles with AC Delco parts. Right now, I have 35k on my American made Moog.

Mopar is being replaced with Magneti Marelli. It will be interesting to see how this affects the quality.

I'd rate Motorcraft above ACDelco, and probably Delphi too.

However, I trust Denso more than any of them.

I generally like to stick with OEM parts on my vehicles, unless they are cost prohibitive.
I have owned more Ford products than any other make and in the 70's and 80's, I would go out of my way to find and purchase Delco Freedom batteries because they were that good. Any more, there is no difference, so I buy whatever has the best warranty and has the most convenient locations to access it if it becomes necessary.
I have no preference on MOPAR brand because of my limited experiences with Chrysler products. No comments beyond that.
However, I have never had any issue with anything Motorcraft. There have been several times that I have had to basically mandate use of Motorcraft parts to my mechanic (3.0 Cam Synchros for an example.)

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
There have been several times that I have had to basically mandate use of Motorcraft parts to my mechanic (3.0 Cam Synchros for an example.)

X2. Sometimes, ONLY Motorcraft will do. In the case of Vulcan cam synchros, you really should only use either Motorcraft, or A1 Cardone which rebuilds Motorcraft synchros. The Motorcraft synchros will at least get 60K miles. Dormans are usually done by 15K miles.

I like Motorcraft parts. Quality seems to be consistently good, and many parts really are OEM quality and not just a cheap substitute with the right name stamped on it. You get a real silicone ADBV on filters with an "S" in the part number, most direct replacement parts are full OEM quality (for example, something like an idle air control valve), and fit/finish tends to be real good. I have a new Motorcraft water neck for my truck sitting on my desk for whenever I feel like dealing with the slightly leaky and porous OEM one. It looks like a showpiece...very nicely finished. From the markings and stuff it looks like it could have been intended for assembly line use. It has "FoMoCo" stamped in it and some sort of quality control marking on it. It looks like a true OEM part.

On the other hand, I feel like a lot of AC Delco stuff is just rebranded run of the mill aftermarket parts. The IAC they had for my truck looked like a BWD IAC, and why is AC Delco even offering an IAC for my truck? I feel like AC Delco is much more likely to slap their name on a random China part and call it good

With Mopar, I really don't know. I imagine ordering something like a Mopar gasket or Mopar hose would be a good bet, but an oil filter might just be a rebranded something else. Mopar doesn't seem to crank out a lot of parts for vehicles they didn't make though. For example, there is no Mopar IAC for my truck. Only AC Delco seems to be into supplying aftermarket parts for brands outside their parent company.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Mopar is being replaced with Magneti Marelli. It will be interesting to see how this affects the quality.

I'm surprised I hadn't heard that before. I just checked the new labeling and branding, too. A couple Mopar fans I know will likely have strokes.

Many times OEM has certain updates that are not widely known.

For instance, when a motor mount was needed after a track session I discovered that the aftermarket had not yet brought out the NEW and IMPROVED replacement part.

That's why no one maker ever makes ALL the best parts. Sometimes the aftermarket is ahead of OEM, like when Dex Cool issues started years ago...

Last edited:
Just because a part is OEM doesnt automatically make it superior. Many aftermarket parts are now as good or better than the OEM , example Beck/Arnley makes very good import stuff. I have never had a premature failure with a BWD part , warranty comebacks are rare as well. I have noticed with at least Motorcraft a slide in the build quality. Example my mothers 01 Windstar needed a new ignition coil , Motorcraft was $120 or so and made in China , while BWD was made in USA for $60 . Guess which one I chose. Many times Aftermarket is a great alternative , however go for top quality Aftermarket. Most white box house brand stuff is terrible i.e most Duralast and Masterpro engine management parts.
Suspension and brakes are usually a little different as OEM is not always available at a reasonable price and sometimes not as good as aftermarket. Its hard to go wrong with MOOG suspension parts or any well known brake parts manufacturer. Federal Mogul makes good stuff as well as Raybestos , Bendix and Centric. In short OEM is great but many times there is a better alternative both in terms or quality and price.

Since the mid 1990's when GM spun off "Delco-Remy" and Delphi, "ACDelco" has been more of a brand management company that sources other people's parts or parts built to their specification than an actual maker of their own parts or sourcing from original OEM's.

Quality is going to vary from part to part and from part number to part number.

That being said, I have a preference for Motorcraft branded parts when applicable and have a choice.

Last edited:
Motorcraft oil and filter on my Toyota Matrix for $20 with coupon no appointment needed at Ford dealer. After I inquired what oil they used at the toyo dealer and was told whatever the SM could order for the lowest amount. Not too confidence inspiring. Now they use Toyo/Mobil bulk oil.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn

I have experience with Magneti Marelli quality over the years on Fiat products and its not good, to say its lousy would be charitable.

I service a lot of marine injectors, Mercury Marine used Magneti Marelli in a few engines, the Bosch which Chrysler also used are very good with a very low actual failure rate that requires replacement.
The Magneti Marelli failure rate is atrocious. 3 or 4 out of 8 is very common. It got so bad i decided to keep the yellow band Marelli in stock just for these applications.

Magneti Marelli ignitions are notorious, if Chrysler goes with all Magneti Marelli it wont take long before the problems begin.

AC Delco doesn't make many, if any parts anymore. They're a reboxer & marketer.
People associate AC Delco with GM, and that's somewhat true, AC Delco makes parts for GM, as factory GM parts, but not everything.
Like the AC Delco shocks & struts.. they're made by Monroe.
their plugs are Denso or NGK, or whomever's cheapest.. their oil filters, whoever's the lowest bid.
their motor oil: Exxon/Mobil.
it's the same assumption that napa & carquest have.. people believe they're getting a quality napa parts, you're getting whatever they decided to buy from whomever and you're just gambling it's gonna be a long term part.

Motorcraft primarily makes parts for Ford. sometimes I'll see a motorcraft air or oil filter for a non-Ford car. sometimes I see MC ignition stuff for the older Jeep's.

I haven't really dealt with Mopar parts, but from the ones I"ve seen, the quality seems top notch, as is their pricing.

Originally Posted By: Trav

Magneti Marelli ignitions are notorious, if Chrysler goes with all Magneti Marelli it wont take long before the problems begin.

So Lucas Electrics shared their knowledge with their Italian cousins? I'd thought we'd exorcized the Prince of Darkness once and for all...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back