Mystik 15-50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need your thoughts on this oil in a 2012 H-D Heritage Softail twin cam 103.

Could a person use this oil in all three holes and have the life expectancy one would get out of a dedicated MC oil.

Last edited:
Subject of Mystic 15w50 comes up from time to time. I did a VOA on it several years ago and was disappointed..a very "plain jane" engine oil, except the viscosity range.

Mystik has told me that it is not wet clutch friendly so you could use it in the transmission and the engine, but not the primary.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Now according to Mystik, the 15w40 is wet clutch compatible as it carries the Allison C4 rating.

Good news to hear. Ever used Mystik 15-50 in a motorcycle application?
I'm not really sure about using it for the transmission or primary as I feel dedicated fluids would probably be better for them BUT it would be nice to have just one oil for all my applications including my H-D.

Originally Posted By: DB_Cooper
Subject of Mystic 15w50 comes up from time to time. I did a VOA on it several years ago and was disappointed..a very "plain jane" engine oil, except the viscosity range.

I also want to include in my question earlier about posting a report. What year and API certification was the sample? I only ask because some people have a problem with where this oil comes from and a blanket statement such as "plain jane" really doesn't say much about the oil just someones opinion.

If you google around you can find the zinc and phosphorus numbers for it. Current ones show they are not as high as Rotella, but the rating on it is still CI4+.

I have actually not used it in my bike since I have a shared sump unit. But I have used it in my flat tappet small block chevy LT1 in the summer and its been quite good.

Been a long winter and there's a blizzard outside right now so I had a few minutes to kill. Just thought I would strike up a conversation on a product that works really well for it's intended purpose but could also serve well in others. I have googled, searched this site, and really not much mention about Mystik.

Thanks for your time.

Originally Posted By: pwr2tow
Do you have the report and could you post it up?

Found The VOA Mystic 15w50 report and like I said..not much there:

Blackstone report 6/19/2008

No elements Aluminum through Sodium.

Calcium 1100

Magnesium 964

Phosphorus 865

Zinc 1063

SUS Viscosity@ 210f = 89.4

cST Viscosity@ 100c = 17.83

Flashpoint F = 425

TBN = 10.0

Found some numbers from a sample in 2012

Mystik JT-8 15W-50;
Phosphorus 1050 ppm
Zinc 1280 ppm
Magnesium 1060 ppm
Calcium 1220 ppm.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Found some numbers from a sample in 2012

Mystik JT-8 15W-50;
Phosphorus 1050 ppm
Zinc 1280 ppm
Magnesium 1060 ppm
Calcium 1220 ppm.

Interesting, looks like it should perform satisfactory. Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back