Automatic transmission question

Status
Not open for further replies.
If my car's been sitting overnight and is cold in the morning, when I start the car (and let the oil circulate for a minute or two) and then engage the AT, it sort of lurches a bit, doesn't matter if it's being put in drive or reverse.

The gear engages immediately and there is no hesitation. Once the car has been driven for a few minutes and is semi/fully warmed up, the transmission shifts from park to drive/reverse seamlessly - no lurching at all. It's just that first initial shift whilst cold. There are no other signs of transmission problems like slipping or burnt ATF.

Something to be concerned about or not?

When the cold start condition occurs, the ECM is programed to increase the idle rpms. Once the engine warm to operating temp, the idle drops back to a lower rpm. I believe this is the condition you are experiencing. The shift from park to drive is much smoother at the lower rpm. FWIW

Oldtommy

Originally Posted By: mannyhs
If my car's been sitting overnight and is cold in the morning, when I start the car (and let the oil circulate for a minute or two) and then engage the AT, it sort of lurches a bit, doesn't matter if it's being put in drive or reverse. ..... It's just that first initial shift whilst cold. There are no other signs of transmission problems like slipping or burnt ATF.

If it is your '05 Hyundai, it has not done this before, and it still has the original ATF in it, your problem may be nothing more than a need for a fluid change.

Originally Posted By: 2oldtommy
When the cold start condition occurs, the ECM is programed to increase the idle rpms. Once the engine warm to operating temp, the idle drops back to a lower rpm. I believe this is the condition you are experiencing. The shift from park to drive is much smoother at the lower rpm. FWIW

Oldtommy

That may well be what's happening ... it's my first AT, my previous cars were manuals. I'm terrified that the transmission will begin to have trouble as I know how expensive they are to repair should something go wrong.

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D
Originally Posted By: mannyhs
If my car's been sitting overnight and is cold in the morning, when I start the car (and let the oil circulate for a minute or two) and then engage the AT, it sort of lurches a bit, doesn't matter if it's being put in drive or reverse. ..... It's just that first initial shift whilst cold. There are no other signs of transmission problems like slipping or burnt ATF.

If it is your '05 Hyundai, it has not done this before, and it still has the original ATF in it, your problem may be nothing more than a need for a fluid change.

The car is new to me (since August 2013) and it has done this since I bought it although more so since the cold weather arrived. I changed the fluid in November to MaxLife ATF and it still does it although it does shift more smoothly once it has warmed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back