My new "tracks"

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad had a 1987 Ford E150 with that 4.9L motor. Not sure if that helps much.
Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
That's a Ford engine, distributor cap gives it away. That would be awesome for plowing a driveway!

So if I went to NAPA to get wires, dist. cap, what should they look up? I assume they cannot look up a Bombadier SW48?

Last edited:
Does this help?

sw48.1.gif
sw48.2.gif

Wow, a 300 backed by a C6, that's an absolutely bomb-proof combo
crazy2.gif

Same setup I had in my F-250 (but with the newer injected I6).

That's a Ford engine, distributor cap gives it away. That would be awesome for plowing a driveway!

So if I went to NAPA to get wires, dist. cap, what should they look up? I assume they cannot look up a Bombadier SW48?

You never know.
laugh.gif

A NAPA might enjoy the challenge if you go in when things are slow. It could be listed as a Ford industrial or marine engine. Probably only come into play for emissions parts; this'll have a "dumb" carburetor for example.

Feel free to bring your old cap & wires.

PS, governed to 2800 RPM? Are you gonna stand for that?
28.gif

I use to drive one of those back in the early '80's with the pointed blade to remove snow from sidewalks. Be careful and wear your seat belt in case you hit something. I wacked my head on the windshield once.

The NAPA guy was not a lot of help trying to find things by engine.

Its got points rather than electronic ignition. But I should be able to get the same wires regardless of points/electronic.

That's definitely a Ford 300. I can tell by the distributor cap, and the removable panel, just below the spark plugs. That engine and transmission is about as bullet proof as you can get!

Dave

Originally Posted By: eljefino

You never know.
laugh.gif

A NAPA might enjoy the challenge if you go in when things are slow. It could be listed as a Ford industrial or marine engine. Probably only come into play for emissions parts; this'll have a "dumb" carburetor for example.

Feel free to bring your old cap & wires.

28.gif

I know that my FI 300 doesn't do anything but get louder above 3k rpm. All the power is down low.

I just went to napaonline.com and looked up ignition parts for a 1977 F150 with the 300, and came up with part # CS753 for points # FA99 for the condenser, FA136 for the cap, and FA159 for the rotor.

However, these are all Echlin part numbers, and as someone who works for Napa, I recommend you stay away from Echlin parts. I have bought many Echlin parts and just about every one of them has been garbage. But you should at least be able to take these part numbers and have another store cross-reference them. Or have them look up parts for a 77 F150.

28.gif

Haw, that Ford six has a table flat torque curve. There is certainly no sense in winding it up!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
28.gif

Haw, that Ford six has a table flat torque curve. There is certainly no sense in winding it up!

That's 100% bang-on. Mine didn't really make any power past a hair over 3K. Unfortunately it wanted to shift higher than 3K. So there was a period if it doing not much other than making noise before it grabbed the next gear and began to pull again, LOL!

We had dozens of those in Econoline 150's-250's with three on the tree.

What a joy. Dirt simple, not all of them even had power steering!

Nice ride...

20 something years ago I got to drive an Haglund that work had for snow conditions...was a blast.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
However, these are all Echlin part numbers, and as someone who works for Napa, I recommend you stay away from Echlin parts. I have bought many Echlin parts and just about every one of them has been garbage.

Are you serious? I work part-time for NAPA. I've found Echlin to be high-quality parts.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I'd say maybe an '86 F-150 with the 300?

'86 MAY be EFI on the 300 I6, but I might be wrong. With a carb and heater pipe from the exhaust, I'd probably look up parts for about an '80-'85. I know the 302 V8 went EFI in '85 in the F-150 and the 351 was the last F-Series holdout to have an available carb until '91 or so.

Convert it over to electronic ignition using all factory Ford parts. Schematic to do it can be found all over the web. Then you won't have to worry about ignition parts that may be sub-standard and your ignition will not be the weakest link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back