Luggage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that several BITOGers are frequent flyers, so I thought this would be as good of a place as any to ask for luggage purchasing advice.

I fly an average of twice per month, with most trips being same day turnaround or one night, so my small carry-on duffle-style bag has served me well over the years. However, I will be traveling from SoCal to CT the first week of February, will be there for four nights, dress code is business casual, I will be busy from sunup until well after sundown, and I will be meeting with the same group of people the entire time (so no laundering and re-wearing one or two outfits), so I need something that can hold four days' worth of slacks, shirts, undershirts, underwear, toiletries, a sweater or two, etc. I have a large suitcase, but it is a bit beat up and the handle is broken, so it is a bear to haul around.

I am not picky about luggage and do not have any "must haves" or "must have nots" (although a zipper, wheels, and a handle would be nice). The only really limiting factors are that I do not want to spend a lot (I have no idea what luggage costs, so I don't really know what that means) and I need to buy local (can't fit it into the budget until 1/31 and am leaving the morning of 2/2). All that being said, Louis Vuitton steamer trunks are out, but I am pretty open to anything else. A set that comes with a small carry-on roller bag would be nice, but is not a necessity at this time.

My questions are:
-Which brands are good and which should I avoid?
-Are there any features I should look for or avoid?
-Where should I buy?
-What should I budget for a good single large suitcase or set?

You can find an inexpensive rollaboard at many places (including thrift stores) for under $20 if price is an issue.

However if you want a quality bag that will last many many years, I would suggest checking out luggageworks.com. You will invest a bit more but it will be worth it.

Last edited:
200 night a year traveler for over 15 years....

Questions...
You want to carry on or check your luggage? (sounds like you'd check this one but I thought I'd ask)
You going to use this as your regular luggage from now on?

A 22" roller (two wheels, not four) will hold a bunch and fit in many airlines overhead bins if you choose to go this way.

You can spend anywhere from $40 to $600 for this type of bag. One thing to consider if you travel regularly and are checking your bag... even the best bag is only going to last about 18 months, a cheap one might not make it two trips. The other thing that is important, especially if you are carrying on is balance. Some bags will fall over on their own, some are sensitive to how they are packed, and some just are well balanced by design no matter what you do to them.

ebags.com has lots of choices and plenty of reviews from the once a year traveler to the every day flight attendant or pilot.

I have bought quality in the past, only to see it looking Beat-Up after a year or two.
Now I buy cheap, but surprisingly fair quality, from Canadian Tire $65 for a set, and I use what I need
(made overseas of course)
They last about 8 trips, often switching flights on a trip.
When they start looking tatty, they go to Goodwill.

I do use a strap around my larger cases, as a safeguard. Plus it helps me identify MY case on the carousel.
Nothing worse that leaving with the wrong bag, or having someone leave with yours.

Save money and time/go to Costco and buy their Kirkland brand. It will last you years.If you don^t like it after 5 years of use ,return it with bill of sale and get your money back!

Originally Posted By: oilmutt
Save money and time/go to Costco and buy their Kirkland brand. It will last you years.If you don^t like it after 5 years of use ,return it with bill of sale and get your money back!

This...
Also try to avoid United....
united-airlines-fail1.jpg

The "United breaks guitars" video is almost 10 years old now...so, I wouldn't say that it's relevant any more. Latest DOT stats have United leading the airlines in baggage (fewest mishandled bags), but the point is this: all airlines are rough on checked bags. Look at the rampers working in the sun, snow, and rain, moving thousands of bags every day in a rush to get the jets out on time. It's back-breaking work and sometimes they drop stuff...it happens

Carry-on gets you out of that.

My Luggage Works bag is 15 years old. I travel, on average, 200 days/year. Granted, the bag has been in for rebuild/repair twice, but there is no more durable bag on the market. Runs about $350 for the 22" rollaboard pilot bag. It's heavy, but it fits and it lasts.

Travelpro makes a quality bag. I've got one of those too and have bought them for family members. Discounts can be had on line.

Don't be a tool and get a "carryon" bag that doesn't fit in the overhead. 9x14x22...that's it...no cheating and depriving everyone else in your row use of the overhead space....

I have a Samsonite carry-on that I got at Ross (discount store that buys up stuff). I've had it for a few years now and it has held up great. I do not check unless absolutely necessary because of time, I even went to London last year on a Mon through Fri trip with it. I have a backpack that goes under the seat and my carry-on goes in the bin. It does take some careful packing and folding and rolling to make everything fit for a M-F trip.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Don't be a tool and get a "carryon" bag that doesn't fit in the overhead. 9x14x22...that's it...no cheating and depriving everyone else in your row use of the overhead space....

This times 1,000,000. Nothing erks me more than people turning their bag sideways to make it fit, especially on Southwest where checking is free. Get a back that will fit handle in, wheels out and that's your space. Nearly every flight I've been on for the last several months has been full. That bin space is precious.

I'm not a frequent flyer, but here's my 2¢. I have carry on size soft sided bag that I got for a graduation gift. It is made of heavy ballistic nylon. It has medium duty zippers, and has flown half a dozen times. Obviously it has seen a lot more use besides that since it is 22 years old now. I'd look for something like this bag, heavy ballistic nylon, heavy duty zippers if you can find them. I think mine is a "member's only" brand my mom got at JC Penny. I doubt they are made any more. I'd also get a folder garment bag to carry on and then check the other bag.

I added a garment bag ten years ago, and these two bags can get me anywhere. My garment bag has a few pockets too, so you can pack a couple days in it if it's a short trip, or if you checked bag gets delayed you're not sunk.

Neither of my bags are rollers, which is bonus for durability in my book. I can keep the shoulder strap to the square bag in the garment bag and use it if I need a hand free. I find I move faster than those with rollers in an airport, and don't mind carrying a bag, or two. Wheels and handles break.

Another option I would consider would be firehose cloth luggage from Duluth.

I have an American Gold card for life. One million freq. flyer miles. In the early 1990s I bought a Samsonite roller piece of luggage with a small cut in the handle for cheap at Marshalls. The cut in the handle is still there (was always going to get it fixed) and the bag is dusty but works fine.

You need to figure out how to pack so your bag fits in carry-on. Guys can get away with 2 pairs of slacks and some shirts. Its worse for women who cannot (or will not) wear items twice on a trip.

We have one large roller bag of the no-name brand Stratus that has held up very well.
I'm pretty sure we bought it at Kohls on sale and then with 30% off. The cashiers will usually give you 30% off if a percent off promo is going and you have a Kohls card and since something is bound to be on sale with something else on clearance, Kohls is a decent place to walk in and buy a bag without spending a whole lot, which seems to be your goal.
Checked bags suffer from handling and from being stuffed into the pits, since pit space can be a real problem on some flights with some aircraft, especially the CRJs or ERJs we usually enjoy our first and last leg on departing and returning to either of our home airports. These trips involve the wear and tear of double handling, since we've forgotten that there is such a thing as a nonstop flight.
A checked bag is going to be okay for maybe 8-10 trips.
A good carryon bag will last quite a bit longer.

Thanks for all of the advice. As a point of clarification, I am looking for a bag to check. I definitely do not do oversized carry-ons and my carry-on duffle ends up being undersized, which is helpful when I am not in one of the first boarding groups and have to squeeze it between two oversized bags.

I have three Skyway brand bags, all from eBags.com. I am not a frequent flyer, but they've held up well over the 10 or so years I've had them. One is a small duffel, great to fly with on small commuter jets for 1-night trips. Another is a garment bag, and the other is a small roller that works well for carry on.

Do something to the bag to identify it as yours. All those black nylon bags on the carousel look the same. Webbing, shoelaces, paracord... tie a short length of something in a unique color to make your bag easier to find.

We own Travelpro, Samsonite soft-side and Briggs-Riley. They all work well and have lasted well. The issue is inside arrangement preferences and warranty. The Briggs-Riley has a lifetime warranty and we are near an authorized repair shop. We have purchased most of our luggage on line from the lowest price vendor at the time. Mail order service was prompt each time.

The Samsonite bags lasted a full ten years, with two to five trips per year. Jury is still out on Travelpro and Briggs-Riley longevity, but we expect a good or better results.

I travel 3-4x/yr on average with my family overseas for vacation to various continents except Antarctica and these two luggage companies I can recommend without hesitation: Red Oxx & Eagle Creek. Domestic baggage handlers are generally easy on luggage compared to what your luggage will encounter overseas.

Their Lifetime Warranty is legitimate(as long as they stay in business) as I have had repairs and replacements under warranty honored by both companies.

I can vouch for the quality of Eagle Creek. I took one of their bags on a 3 year round the world venture. Only thing I ever did was take a lighter and burn the loose strands on the inside, mostly so they would not get caught in the zippers.

It was too big to ever carry on, and I've flown it cross country a couple dozen time too.

I like the looks of their new offerings too, but cheap they are not.

But now that I know how to travel light, I find it is too big and have downsized to a travelpro wheeled unit for my X country jaunts. Which is a pretty tight fit in the overheads. On Some Delta Flight I had to prove my bag would fit in the container before boarding, and needed to remove my laptop for it to do so. It would not fit in wheels first on my recent SW flights, and had to be turned sideways. Sorry.

I hate waiting at the bag carousel, and having to wait in line to check bags. So much nicer to print up boarding passes online and head right to the gate or to security bypassing those lines to check bags.

Originally Posted By: GenSan
Eagle Creek.

I forgot about my Eagle Creek purchases. I have a large, metal-framed backpack that I use about 6 times a year from 2000. It was purchased to go to Italy and it literally still looks/performs like new. Best $150 I may have ever spent.

I also have one of their golf club bags for flying. It's only been used once but the wheel was broken off when I got it back from baggage check. They sent me a new one AND a shoe back for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back