Is Service Pro oil Junk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My local Mazda dealership that I purchased my 2014 3 from offers free oil changes but once all was said and done. I inquired as to what the oil is. They said Service Pro 0W20. I have yet to find much information about this oil. I have only found that it's made by some company called Craft Oil. Sounds like a fly by night company
mad.gif
I guess I'll be doing all the changes myself from here onward.

Does anyone here have any experience with this particular oil?

Are there any UOA or VOA posted?

I don't understand why Mazda isn't using its formulation by Idemitsu. Most dealers have a drum of Castrol OE 0w20 which is a great oil, it's high in moly.

Craft oil is a distributor it does not blend service pro. Service Pro pcmo's meet or exceed OEM specs and API SN/GF-5 and 0w20 is a full synthetic so in a round about answer it is far from "junk oil".

As far as dealerships oil preference dealerships are a franchise and can use any pcmo of their choosing.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Craft oil is a distributor it does not blend service pro. Service Pro pcmo's meet or exceed OEM specs and API SN/GF-5 and 0w20 is a full synthetic so in a round about answer it is far from "junk oil".

As far as dealerships oil preference dealerships are a franchise and can use any pcmo of their choosing.

Thanks for the information Dave. Are there any VOA or UOA out there? I've searched and my searches only yield Service Pro Oil Filters.

Quote:
Service Pro pcmo's meet or exceed OEM specs and API SN/GF-5 and 0w20 is a full synthetic so in a round about answer it is far from "junk oil".
Well...they say it is. Keep in mind that even a big outfit like Warren Distributing mis-mixed some gear oil for Walmart and had to recall it. That Service Pro oil is in the dealership only because it is the cheapest stuff they could find, cheaper than an name brand even at tank-truck rates.

I remember that thread, because the poster has the same car as I do. Just as an FYI, the UOA on page 1 is incorrect, and the correct one is posted at the end of the thread.

The Service Pro 0W20 probably gets used in bulk by a lot of places looking to meet the 0W20 requirement. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it, but I certainly wouldn't be afraid to use it either. It's not one of those "City Star" oils...

Originally Posted By: SkyActivG
My local Mazda dealership that I purchased my 2014 3 from offers free oil changes......
I don't understand why Mazda isn't using its formulation by Idemitsu.

You kinda answered your own question there...

It's one of the least expensive 0W20 oil out there--but it's still a good oil.

What are the conditions of the free oil changes?
Is it part of the deal from Mazda directly when you buy a new car or is it something the dealership is offering?

I would study your purchase agreement closely to see if you cannot "pleasantly" insist the the Madza brand 0W-20 be used instead.

Originally Posted By: stchman
If the OP has a certain preference, then when you take the car for its free oil change, bring your own oil.

This is not just about an oil preference but rather requesting the dealer use the actual OEM oil and not an aftermarket oil.
It would seem entirely reasonable to insist that the dealer use the OEM Mazda oil and the Mazda owner not pay a penny more.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
If the OP has a certain preference, then when you take the car for its free oil change, bring your own oil.

This is not just about an oil preference but rather requesting the dealer use the actual OEM oil and not an aftermarket oil.
It would seem entirely reasonable to insist that the dealer use the OEM Mazda oil and the Mazda owner not pay a penny more.

If I owned the said dealership you would have to come armed with something more substantial then this statement for me to make a change.

My mother in law bought a 2008 Toyota Camry new and has been getting it serviced at the Toyota dealer every 5K miles since new. Now has about 80K miles on it. She asked me to check the oil and I was shocked to find sludge in the oil fill hole. This car gets an oil change every 5K miles and there should not be sludge in it!

I wonder what cheap junk oil the dealership has been using? The car calls for 0W20 but the window sticker always says 5W30 was used. I have offered to change her oil from now on with a good quality oil and filter for the cost of the parts.

Nothing wrong with Service Pro...

My Cav didn't like it....but I'm sure it was just the car anyways..still have a jug or two left...

haven't seen their syn in a while though....wanted to try it.....

Originally Posted By: SS1970chrysler
I drive to work every day with SP oils in my engine. They're just as good as anything else I've used. IMO

Your NEWEST car is 26 years old. You could use extra virgin olive oil and would be fine.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

Why would it seem reasonable ?

Reasonable is delivering a service consistent with the requirements of the service manual...

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Isn't everything "Service Pro" brand something that's re-branded?

For the most part. I work for one of the largest Service Pro distributors, so I could get in trouble for telling you who makes their stuff, but let me assure you that it is made by quality companies, and no, not all of it comes from one place. Their antifreeze comes from several manufacturers, but it might surprise you to find out who. They are big names.

Most of the car dealers and quick lubes here use Service Pro as their basic oil. I would venture to say that around half of all of the cars in Montana that get their oil changed at quick lubes or dealers that opt for the basic change are running Service Pro.

There's nothing wrong with the oil - nothing that will harm your engine, with proper oil change intervals. If you desire to waste your money on another brand, that is your choice. It's just not a wise choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back