This man is 60 years old

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm speaking of Billy Sheehan, the bass player in the following clip. Everyone in the clip is amazing, but I used to think of 60 as "old". I'm 55 now, so I'm getting close, and to see these old rockers tearing it up really means a lot to me. Billy, is, of course, a phenom, being known for his work with Mr. Big, Talas, David Lee Roth's "Skyscraper" album, and many other projects. I've also met him, and he's a heckuva nice guy.

I am also a bass player, but Billy is orders of magnitude more talented than I am. I particularly like his work with Niacin, which is sort of a fusion band, but doesn't sound like anything else.

Too bad the guitar screams too much to be able to discern enough of the bass. At least that's how it seems on cursory glance of the video. Once he was playing himself at around 2:00, it was pretty awesome.

Good playing, reminds me of Metallica a bit.

I like Rocco Prestia myself.

I wish our bass player could do that. Personally, I don't think 60 is old. It's all in how you feel.

That's a cool video though, thanks for sharing. I've always been a DT fan and enjoy watching Portnoy play (I've been playing drums for over 30 years). Refreshing to hear real talent, especially with my kid home from college playing that junk doo dee.

I used to believe that awesome playing or fast paced music was strictly limited to the younger players. After watching old timers really play and get into their music, I've definitely changed my mind. I used to work with this one old cat... 67 years old and still rocking out. Loved everything from CSN&Y to Jimi, Stevie, Vai, Bonamassa to Metallica and on and on. He too is a bass player, and I love to watch him play. At one of the gigs that him and the band he is in, (a music festival) there was a group right before them- I thought for sure their drummer should be in a wheel chair or at the least, a walker... But man o man, could he bang those drums with the best of em! And for dang near 2 hours! Never once missed a beat.

No sir, music doesn't know age.

edit: thanks for the video, I will have to send the link to my old co-worker, I guarantee he will dig it.

Last edited:
Chris Squire is 65, Bootsie Collins is 62, Geddy Lee is 60.

Flea and Les Claypool are young pups at 51 and 50.

Are there any great bass players that aren't over 50?
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Too bad the guitar screams too much to be able to discern enough of the bass. At least that's how it seems on cursory glance of the video. Once he was playing himself at around 2:00, it was pretty awesome.

Good playing, reminds me of Metallica a bit.

I like Rocco Prestia myself.

Rocco Prestia is a groove monster.

Thanks for that!!! Holy cow batman....in the 40 plus years I've been playing drums, I've NEVER come across a bass player even close to that. Had no idea that Billy was that good, but his solo demonstrates his imagination as well. I really didn't know a bass could actually do that!!!! Geddy Lee has been one of my all time favorite bass players, now I'm adding Billy Sheenam to that list!!!!.. Great vid!!!!

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

crackmeup2.gif

Cliff Burton because he caught a serious case of the dead when the tour bus landed on him
frown.gif

Speaking of old guys...

Saw Robin Trower at the House of Blues a couple of years ago, maybe 2011. He and Davey Pattison are in their late 60's, and Glenn Letsch would have been in his early 60's. Trower gives nothing away to the youngsters, and while we all miss James Dewar, Davey Pattison can still belt it out. Not sure who the drummer was, but obviously not Bill Lordan.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Cliff Burton because he caught a serious case of the dead when the tour bus landed on him
frown.gif

I remember when that happened, I had tickets to a Metallica show in Toronto and it had to be rescheduled while they looked for a new bassist. I often wonder what kind of direction Metallica would have taken if Cliff had not died. He was an awesome bassist, but I'm not sure if he would have allowed Metallica to make some of the changes they did over the years. (changes for the better, IMO, but not quite the direction I could have seen Cliff accepting)

Originally Posted By: Stelth
Speaking of old guys...

Saw Robin Trower at the House of Blues a couple of years ago, maybe 2011. He and Davey Pattison are in their late 60's, and Glenn Letsch would have been in his early 60's. Trower gives nothing away to the youngsters, and while we all miss James Dewar, Davey Pattison can still belt it out. Not sure who the drummer was, but obviously not Bill Lordan.

Stelth, thank you for posting that, Robin Trower is one of my favorites ! I'm envious of you for getting to see him- no doubt I will never get the chance...

Dude. 60 really isn't old.

I'm almost 56 and fit as a fiddle. No my bass playing skills are not even close.

My parents are 80 and 82 and walk to the gym every other day to lift weights and my mom does a 1 hour aerobic class. There is no reason a good (bass) musicians can't play tough riffs at 65+.

I agree though he looks an old 60. Drugs? Bad make-up? The outfit?

Originally Posted By: Pablo

+1 When I was in my 20's 60 was old, now as I get closer to 60 it really ins't old at all. My parents are in their 80's and looking at them you'd never know it.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

crackmeup2.gif

Geddy Lee is no slouch when it comes to pickin the bass!

Originally Posted By: Pablo

I'm almost 56 and fit as a fiddle. No my bass playing skills are not even close.

My parents are 80 and 82 and walk to the gym every other day to lift weights and my mom does a 1 hour aerobic class. There is no reason a good (bass) musicians can't play tough riffs at 65+.

I agree though he looks an old 60. Drugs? Bad make-up? The outfit?

Oh. I don't think Billy looks particularly old, but he's always been skinny as a rail, and looks somewhat skeletal as a result. I'm pretty sure he's not a druggie. He works way too hard for that. He said that when he was in high school, he got high on pot once, and was playing some stuff that he thought was awesome, and fortunately he recorded it. He listened to it when he was sober, and realized how destructive drugs could be. I know he drinks beer, but I think he's otherwise clean.

And here's a clip of my favorite Billy Sheehan band, Niacin, featuring the mighty Dennis Chambers on drums, and John Novello on B-3.

BTW, I, too will be 56 this year, and I'm looking forward to continuing to improve my bass playing, and other skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back