Mystik Syn-Blend Multi-Vehicle ATF vs. Honda DW1

Status
Not open for further replies.

e40

I'm tooling up for an ATF change on my 2002 Honda Odyssey that has had dealer ATF Z1,DW1 every 30k since new. (I'm at 221k now)

Blain's carries the Synthetic Blend Mystik Multi-Vehicle ATF for $4.29/qt. I did a complete exchange using 12 quarts on my 2005 Sienna 1 year/22000 miles ago using this fluid without issue.

Just curious to know if this will hold up just as well, or better than the Honda DW1 fluid which costs almost twice as much..

Here is the product information:
http://docs.mystiklubes.com/msds_pi/M20081.pdf

Says it is compatible for vehicles that call for "Honda/Acura ATF-Z1 (except in CVTs)"

Viscosity, cSt at 40°C=35
Viscosity, cSt at 100°C=7.2
Viscosity Index=178
Specific Gravity @ 60 °F=0.851
Pour Point, ASTM D 97, °F (°C)=-60(-51)
Brookfield Viscosity @ -40 °C, cP=9600
Appearance=Red

it's thicker than dw-1, closer to z-1 spec @ 100, thicker than z-1 @ 40. looks a touch thick if it doesn't shear but it may not be a big deal. at least it's semi syn. i dunno, is maxlife not an option? lots of people with ody's from that era use it with success.

anyway, i guess at 221k the van really doesn't owe you anything. if i can get half that out of our 03 i'd be happy.

Last edited:
It does not have the trans cooler, thought about getting one though. There is no hitch on it, so it's never towed. I think I'd go with an aftermarket cooler instead of dropping a couple hundred on the factory cooler which is not much larger than the power steering loop.

Just a side note. Check the local auto parts scrap yards. Oil coolers can be had for $15 or less (yards near where I live). I got a large trans cooler off of a ford truck and hooked it up to my Toyota Tacoma. Cooler - transmission hose and clamps cost a total of $25.00. Far less than a factory Toyota cooler ($290.00) and just as good or better.

I had my 2000 accord automatic fail not that long ago.

With Maxlife in there it worked fine, shortly after switching to dw1 , the d4 light came on and I had to replace the tranny.

Honda engineers know their stuff, but an old [censored] tanny and max life ussualy go well together, regardless of the car.

I would get a dedicated cooler if you can, the job you can do yourself actually. Bad radiator can clogg things up and there goes your tranny, turns out mine was clogged for sometime I was told the fluid was not moving AT ALL in my tranny.

Only ATf i would use id redline , amsoil , honda, maxlife. Everything else is hit or miss.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back