2015 F-150 at Detroit Auto Show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: VNTS
Do you guys think the insurance will be higher on these 2015 Beercan F150's since the body shops will have to learn different procedures to repair which may be very high.

I was reading the rivet system is structural and they bond with special adhesives.

I think what you will see in the future is Ford will have certified body shops, whether it is a Ford dealer or independent shop just as BMW and other makes do. The cost of the equipment to work on aluminum structures will make a correct repair impossible at many small-to-medium sized shops. I attended a seminar on repairing aluminum structure for BMWs that was put on by BMW and it blew my mind how involved the repair was and I can say that very few shops would be equipped to handle it. They have coated rivets for areas where aluminum and steel touch each other as well as a host of other jigs and clamps that are model specific.

Many vehicles have aluminum hoods but the CAFE regulations and crash safety are going to make aluminum structures more commonplace which will have an impact on the price of car insurance.

Around here it seems like most farmers drive GMC/Chevy trucks, Ford F-250 and F-350 are most popular with contractors, and F-150 is popular in the oil fields (welding rigs excluded). Weekend enthusiasts driver every make/model truck/suv you can buy a lift kit for, there is no favorite but I do see a lot of Ford Super Duty trucks prepped for the dunes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back