Best oil for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a question that has been asked many times here on BITOG, but never by me...I have came to the conclusion that TGMO 0w20 is the best oil for me at this point. I love the high moly, high calcium, high zinc, pretty much the add pack all together. The main reason I like it though is the VI, which allows it to be very light on start up. As many of you know I do lots of short trip driving, so any way to minimize the wear that results from that driving would be great! and I feel that TGMO is helping in that regard due to the lightness on start up and the great add pack. As well as the fact that its synthetic which Im sure contribute to the resistance of breakdown from fuel/contamination from short tripping. I have considered going to PYB 5w20 but I dont like the fact thats in not synthetic, I do love the add pack, but again its conventional. Not sure if more wear would result from the thickness on start up vs TGMO, also not sure how it would handle the fuel and contaminants from short tripping. Anyway, what are your thoughts? Any other suggestions? or is sticking with TGMO a good idea. All I really want from an oil is great wear protection, be it from high flow on start up, or great anti wear additives.

Last edited:
Whatever helps you sleep at night man.

I always just buy what is convenient or on sale... No engine blows yet.

I do like trying different types of oil but it's probably just placebo when you think any of them actually make any difference.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig

I do like trying different types of oil but it's probably just placebo when you think any of them actually make any difference.

Its not about not blowing the engine, I could run 10w40 its entire life and now blow the engine, its about having the least wear possible. I like trying different oils too, thought I had a good match with PP but TGMO has been my favorite thus far. Its the only oil that has significantly quieted piston slap as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SLCraig

+1

We've had eight Hondas and they never much cared about the oil used.
I have a K24 and it gets HGMO 0W-20 only because it's under warranty and I was able to buy forty quarts of this oil from another member for a reasonable price. We also get the kind of cold here that would only be a bad dream in Florida, with our coldest morning this winter clocking in at -12F.
You have a robust engine. There would be no harm in using TGMO, but there might not be much good either.
Using a synthetic oil will do nothing to reduce fuel contamination and with most modern cars, fuel contamination isn't much of a worry anyway, even with fairly short trip use.
You could use PYB 5W-20 in your climate with no worries and no problems.
I probably could as well.
Don't stress over wear.
Engines are made to wear and will do so harmlessly for many thousands of miles.
Wear stabilzes at a very low level after break-in, unless something is radically wrong, in which case the oil selected won't make any difference.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Best oil for you greg? Supertech conventional 5w20 since you dump everything so early.

lol

I don't want to confuse you but looking at some of the UAOs for TGMO, it does not seem to have that much Moly. If you are looking for high Moly, you may want to consider Mazda 0W-20 GF5 with moly oil. It has very high Moly and about the same VI as HGMO (I think). I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

There are several threads here. Two examples are:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...oly#Post3249042
and
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...dem#Post2781625

Frankly, I don't think it will make too much difference between the TGMO and the Mazda GF5 with Moly oil. I look at this as a hobby and I picked the Mazda oil because of the Moly and recommendations form others on this forum.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
All I really want from an oil is great wear protection, be it from high flow on start up, or great anti wear additives.

There is more to start up wear than oil flow.

Ain't nothing wrong with finding something you like (and works) and sticking with it.

TGMO seems to be equated to liquid gold around here; I'd love to try some one of these days.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back