Discount Tire's Conti ControlContact Sport A/S

Status
Not open for further replies.
IF they made them in my OEM size (245/50-16), I would try them.

Since they do not, and I would have to go to a 225/55-16 anyway, I would rather have the MUCH better winter/cold weather performance of the Nokian WRG2/3s in that size.
wink.gif

It could be an exclusive tire to them, just like the Yokohama YK-whatever number it was, that was exclusive to them previously

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
It could be an exclusive tire to them, just like the Yokohama YK-whatever number it was, that was exclusive to them previously

Yep. And re-badged tires are ones that should usually be avoided.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

If it's a "re-badge", then it is a re-badge of what?

Technically, General Altimax Arctic is a re-badge, but nonetheless it is still a solid tire.

Technically, General Altimax Arctic is a re-badge, but nonetheless it is still a solid tire.

Not sure, but it is unlikely that Continental is using their most cutting-edge technology in a private label tire.

Not sure, but it is unlikely that Continental is using their most cutting-edge technology in a private label tire.

Still a bold assumption. Continental doesn't have an ultra cheap tire brand to go to for a mere rebadge. Nothing from General Tire, nor nothing from Gislaved.

The natural comparison is the ExtremeContact DWS. It does have the traction grooves (which it a "cutting edge" technology from Continental) which the DWS has also. It wouldn't surprise me if they used the same rubber compound to cut down costs. But, yes, the DWS should be better in the packed snow/ice, since it looks like the DWS as lower tread to void ratio and more siping. (but that doesn't bother me since I run dedicated snows anyway)

Continental does have a budget brand, Barum. DTD has been stocking their tires for almost 10 years now.

yeah, you're right...

The Passenger and Light Truck (PLT) Tires Division consists of the Continental, Uniroyal (Europe Only), Semperit, Barum, General Tire, Euzkadi, Viking, Gislaved and Mabor brands

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back