Radio Reception Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH installed in my 04 F150. It was a proff install but the guy is now outa business. My factory radio always got, well good reception you would expect with a new car. This new unit is horrible not getting any stations that I always am able to get not only with the factory 150 radio but any other car radio I've have in past years.

Anyone else run into an issue like this? What was the fix? I'm going to check the ground first and go from there -- just not sure where to go next!!

Check the wiring going to the antenna. I've seen them get loose and make a bad connection, causing poor reception. Has the radio always been this way, or did it suddenly start doing this?

that vehicle should have a full mast (non amplified) antenna, yes? not a short stubby(amplified), or in glass?

if it was a stubby, it sounds like they may not have retained power to the (antenna)amplifier.

(going to sound like a stupid question, but i must ask)

are we talking AM, or FM reception? Pioneer units have had excellent FM tuners, in my experience, but most aftermarkets have had rather [censored] AM reception. (again in my experience)

since the shop is now out of business, i take it this was not a recent install?
check to make sure the antenna adapter is still plugged in to both the radio, and the antenna feed.

Aren't you having problems with a loose speaker too? It sounds like it's no wonder the guy's out of business.

As said, you might want to check some of the wiring and especially the antenna lead but it also might prove worthwhile to run by a shop that installs car stereos and have them hook up their meter to the antenna to see if you have a good signal...if you do then it may be a defective unit. If you have the antenna lead where they can get to it easily, one of them might do it for a couple of bucks.

A 2004 Ford would require an antenna adapter cable to plug the factory antenna into an aftermarket radio. Starting about 2003 Ford did not use a standard Motorola jack on their antennas. They switched to a round European style antenna connector. If the installer used one it may be disconnected or defective. The installer could have also cut off the oem antenna plug and put his own Motorola jack on the antenna cable. He could also have spliced in an antenna cable on the oem coax cable.

If the FM works but AM does not, the antenna is probably bad. If the AM works but the FM does not then the FM tuner is bad. No matter what the cause, OP needs to remove the radio and see what is going on with the antenna.

Ford did not use stubby or amplified antennas in 2004. They did not use windshield antennas either. I am guessing OP just has a bad antenna adapter behind the radio but the antenna itself needs to be checked out too.

Yes I'm the one with loose speaker 2! Thanks for the good advice on where to look and what to check. Otherwise I really like the sound (I-Pod of course ;)) and the Pioneer unit is killer with DVD performance. Nav is pretty solid as well.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Is reception bad on both AM & FM ?

I never tried AM. Will do so and report back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back