Nearly Two Years Since Last Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KitaCam
Why a 2-year OCI?
A once-a-year change @ $50-60 seems cheap to pass over....it would also give the mechanic a view of the underbelly you don't otherwise see, an opportunity to inspect the rest of the car...the car is 7 years old and "things" happen....7 years and few OCs isn't the worst problem a car would experience...

A car sitting that long over so few miles would result in OTHER more serious issues with OTHER fluids (brake, power steering, coolant, AT) and rubber components that degrade with neglect over TIME and not just miles....

Stretching an OCI has always seemed to me to be the most expensive/worst possible maintenance policy in the long run...but as said, if you're not in it for the long run it shouldn't matter...to YOU...but to the next owner, well, that would be a shame if the next owner had problems as a result...

I agree I think its a good idea to change the oil once a year regardless of mileage. Having said that some of the stuff posted on this site seems to suggest otherwise.

A year is fine if done like in the spring since cold weather locations get cold damage to viscosity.

We have stuff that goes a few years around the farm.

18 years was max and that was on a 18 hp back up generator.

Originally Posted By: Bamaro
Originally Posted By: widman
the problem I see with it is the time it sat was at the latter part of the mileage. I would bet you that a UOA would show higher lead than normal, as that is typically what happens if used oil is left sitting for a few months. I see it all the time in harvesters and tractors and recommend that they sit between harvests with clean oil.

Just curious why that would be? Where does the lead come from?
confused2.gif

Bearings. Used oil has particles that cause corrosion of the lead (final layer of bearing material) when just sitting.

I have gone to 2 year changes on my 81 LTD. It only gets about 500 miles/year. I was changing the oil every year and filter every 2, but at the last oil/filter change I decided I'd leave the oil in 2 years as well.

I try to run it every 6 months and get it out for a long drive (at least 1/2 hour) to burn off any condensation.

We have found by just changing out the oil filter every year or two can clear up the oil and the new added may help refresh the additive package.

As you noted getting the oil hot for a while will cool the water out of it.

I've used engines off the junkyard shelf that sat for years and the last UOA I did on one had normal Pb. The UOA's on my Wrangler, which typically sits all winter, also had normal Pb.

I'm not as worried about time after being on here for a while...I just try to keep the one that sees lower milage from sitting too long. I try to put some miles on it, even if it means only putting on 10-20 miles at a time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back