What did your Autozone put in place of NextGen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re my opinion above about ILSAC driving the lowering of Noack specifications, I may have over simplified. I understand it was much more complicated, and that the EPA played a major role in a drive to improve fuel economy and protect catalytic converters, as lower volatility allows oils to stay in grade longer and deliver less phosphorus vapors. There were also some oil company interests involved.

Tom NJ

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Here is the best proof of the quality of Nextgen Maxlife:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2710907/BMW_318i,_4K_oil,_132K_car,_Ne#Post2710907

I've never seen any oil provide better results in any BMW UOA.

I don't think a UOA proves anything quite frankly and many would agree with me.

That said, if somebody ran the product for a very long time and did a tear down that showed a clean engine with minimal wear, then that would speak volumes as to the quality of the product.

Of course a UOA proves nothing.
Empirical evidence has no value, right?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Here is the best proof of the quality of Nextgen Maxlife:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2710907/BMW_318i,_4K_oil,_132K_car,_Ne#Post2710907

I've never seen any oil provide better results in any BMW UOA.

I don't think a UOA proves anything quite frankly and many would agree with me.

That said, if somebody ran the product for a very long time and did a tear down that showed a clean engine with minimal wear, then that would speak volumes as to the quality of the product.

Of course a UOA proves nothing.
Empirical evidence has no value, right?

How is a UOA empirical evidence? You've read Doug's article on UOA's, you know their value relative to measuring actual engine wear (they don't). They are not a precision instrument, nor is their PURPOSE to measure engine wear. The tool is designed to be used to monitor lubricant health and indicate evidence of possible contamination like silicon, coolant....etc. They can also be useful to possibly showing evidence of impending mechanical failure or issues by large spikes in metals measured.

Using a UOA to evaluate wear is like trying to hit a target at 2 miles with a 12-gauge. Precision is not the forte of either instrument.

Your UOA shows the oil held up well and there are no obvious issues with your engine. To KNOW how the oil's performance is relative to wear you'd have to have initial measurements for a variety of components in your engine then run the oil for a duration and then perform a tear-down and measure those components again to measure actual wear. That's the only way to KNOW how your engine is wearing. Any other inference from something like a UOA on an engine that isn't showing any obvious signs of mechanical failure you might as well call up Ms. Cleo and have her read your fortune. The information will be about as valuable.

Maxlife Nexgen performed very well in my use of my old BMW.
Therefore, there should be no question of the quality of this oil in the 10W-40 that I used.
That was my point and it had nothing to do with either Doug or a shotgun.
Whether UOAs are a valid measurement of engine wear is another matter.
I think that they are, but that's another discussion.
UOAs can also predict some impending failures, as another member found with his BMW.

Maxlife Nexgen performed very well in my use of my old BMW.
Therefore, there should be no question of the quality of this oil in the 10W-40 that I used.
That was my point and it had nothing to do with either Doug or a shotgun.
Whether UOAs are a valid measurement of engine wear is another matter.
I think that they are, but that's another discussion.
UOAs can also predict some impending failures, as another member found with his BMW.

They certainly can be used for potentially predicting an impending failure, no argument there. And yes, the oil held up well, again, no argument, as TBN retention was good and there was nothing obviously wrong in the UOA (I believe I indicated all of this above).

However I think the UOA speaks more to the health of your engine, not the quality of Nextgen Maxlife, which is likely on-par with most other PCMO's in its category. Perhaps I came across a bit crass, and that was not my intention. The point I was trying to make was simply that the information we can glean from a UOA is limited. Therefore, arguing the merits or detractors of a product based on one isn't the best approach. There is quite a lot a UOA doesn't tell us about lubricant performance that something like a tear-down does.

Put another way, I don't think there is any evidence that would show us that NextGen is NOT an excellent product; a product as good as any other oil in its target market on the shelf.

We are not at odds here as to our view on the product, we simply don't agree on the weight of the data presented by a UOA, which in the big scheme of things is irrelevant to this thread for the most part
smile.gif

I apologize if I came across rudely
cheers3.gif

I was really, really interested when I heard of this product until I saw it was priced exactly the same as the equivalent crude product. I thought to myself, sorry, no way. I've always given you my free oil, now you sell it back to me at full price?

In a few years almost all motors oils will have recycled in them, and as usual, they won't tell us.

Gotcha!
My only point was that the recycled basestock content of the oil doesn't seem to hurt it's performance in service.
Nothing wrong with it, despite what some have posted and others assume.

Gotcha!
My only point was that the recycled basestock content of the oil doesn't seem to hurt it's performance in service.
Nothing wrong with it, despite what some have posted and others assume.

And on that I agree wholeheartedly
smile.gif

Someone said NextGen and VWB were the same price but I never saw it locally that way... it was always a bit more expensive.

I had to go to WallyWorld for a while (non-walmart tire shop was re-balancing the MR2 tires and WM was across the street and I had 40 minutes to kill). Anyway I went to look for Nextgen and it was not there. Oh well.

However, the 5qt VML was $0.30 cheaper than the 5qt VWB jug! (16.27 vs 16.57 or something like that) I double checked the serial numbers too. the quart bottles and VWB was $0.15 less expensive than VML. Good lord. If NextGen was on the shelf, it would be a mess.

I bought ten five quart jugs of the stuff on closeout last year. Running the last jug now in the wife's car. With 120k on the motor, and 5k on the oil, it came out beautiful.

Did I buy it because it was cheap? Na, I bought it because it was cheap and it's a darned good oil.

Hoping to find some more maxlife nextgen for cheap...but I still have six jugs of Mobil super 5w30 HM as well as a couple of jugs of PYB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back