used car price so high

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the reasoning behind 15 year old cars being 4000-5000 toyota camrys come to mind. Whats up with these used prices? Am I crazy or are the prices going up?

Where have you been for the past 6 years?

The economy is in the tank, the average age of a car is 12 years old, the oldest it has ever been in 50 years of statistics, and everything has skyrocketed.

Please notice how a BMW 325i and a Ford Taurus now cost the the same amount?

There are no economy cars left. Just used with a crazy price, and new for your first born.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
Where have you been for the past 6 years?

The economy is in the tank, the average age of a car is 12 years old, the oldest it has ever been in 50 years of statistics, and everything has skyrocketed.

Please notice how a BMW 325i and a Ford Taurus now cost the the same amount?

There are no economy cars left. Just used with a crazy price, and new for your first born.

Pretty much!

That's just the way it is at this point. You have to hunt to find anything under 5k that is worth it.

When I was car shopping back in 2012, just for kicks, I looked to see what my 95 buick park avenue would cost compared to when I bought it in 2006, which was around $3000. It was the same price as it was in 2006.This car had the same features and same mileage at which I had bought my car. Food for thought. At that moment I accepted the fact that used cars are not the same value as the once were. On the bright side you should be able to get 200k from just about any car now days and they're a safer than the past.

Well I knew it has gone up but it has progressively gotten worse and worse......

The Main Street economy is still pretty much just treading water at this point, versus the Wall Street economy which has improved considerably the last few years. Once the Main St. gets going and maintains it for a few years the average consumer will be more confident and new car sales will take off like a rocket. Then we'll see a return of "normal" used car prices relative to new car. I hope.

Has it gotten worse and worse, or are cars all fancier and more appointed now, so they command higher prices. They cost more to begin with, so they cost more in the secondary market. Its not like you can find many manual, crank window loss leader cars anymore...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Has it gotten worse and worse, or are cars all fancier and more appointed now, so they command higher prices. They cost more to begin with, so they cost more in the secondary market. Its not like you can find many manual, crank window loss leader cars anymore...

thats a good perspective but in 2009I bought a 97 protege base model 155,000 miles for 1250 today that same car is 1600-1800 in clean shape. Thats crazy.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Well I knew it has gone up but it has progressively gotten worse and worse......

The Cash for Clunkers program started it...

You have to be willing to travel.

Bought mine one state away...bought the wife's 1200 miles away.

If you know how to hunt searchtempest and spot the vehicles that are priced well below their value you can get deals.

Honestly, you can buy newer used cars for cheaper. Depreciation is insane on new cars. A loaded two year old Lexus for the price of a new corolla. Or an 80k $ luxury car with 20k miles on it for 25 grand.

I've got my next three car purchases already mapped outnumber. All used... all priced at a third of retail.

ID never buy a regular vehicle from carmax...but their high end luxury models are ridiculously cheap.

Its all in what you're after.

Hmmm. Not sure where you're looking but I got a pretty clean 16 year old Toyota Camry 2 months ago for $1,700. Most are at the low $2000 range but I talked the guy down a little bit
2lnxowx.jpg

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Hmmm. Not sure where you're looking but I got a pretty clean 16 year old Toyota Camry 2 months ago for $1,700. Most are at the low $2000 range but I talked the guy down a little bit
2lnxowx.jpg

this body style only it was a 2000 144,000 for 4950.

2lnxowx.jpg

Probably a dealership? They tend to be really proud with the prices they have, but hey they gotta make a buck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

Why do people blame cash for clunkers as the cause of the price rise in the used car market. I would say the top ten cars traded in on cash for clunkers were not cars that were purchased in huge numbers in the used car market. I would say it has more to do with the economy and reliability of cars now. 100k in not high mileage anymore. A new car will cost 25-30k financed. They can charge 15k for a car that should be 12k in reality. People will buy because they can't afford the cost of a new car but need something halfway reliable. For the most par America is a very car dependent country. You just can do to well without one.

I feel sorry for the people that are in bad financial situations now because the are stuck in positions were the have to pick their poison and are forced to make not so great financial decisions. Do I purchase a car I can barely afford but it reliable or do I buy a beater. I don't have the money to purchase a car for cash, let alone have the time to save for it because I really need a car. If I choose a beater, will I have to: throw money at it, play 'when are you going to screw me', possibly miss work, loose money, put my job in jeopardy and be back were I started.

2lnxowx.jpg

Probably a dealership? They tend to be really proud with the prices they have, but hey they gotta make a buck.

no private party

Originally Posted By: DC44

Why do people blame cash for clunkers as the cause of the price rise in the used car market. I would say the top ten cars traded in on cash for clunkers were not cars that were purchased in huge numbers in the used car market. I would say it has more to do with the economy and reliability of cars now. 100k in not high mileage anymore. A new car will cost 25-30k financed. They can charge 15k for a car that should be 12k in reality. People will buy because they can't afford the cost of a new car but need something halfway reliable. For the most par America is a very car dependent country. You just can do to well without one.

I feel sorry for the people that are in bad financial situations now because the are stuck in positions were the have to pick their poison and are forced to make not so great financial decisions. Do I purchase a car I can barely afford but it reliable or do I buy a beater. I don't have the money to purchase a car for cash, let alone have the time to save for it because I really need a car. If I choose a beater, will I have to: throw money at it, play 'when are you going to screw me', possibly miss work, loose money, put my job in jeopardy and be back were I started.

Many people seem to think cash for clunkers lead to an increase in the price of used cars. There's no real reports out there that really support that position. In reality when you go from making 17 million cars a year down to 11 or 12 million cars a year. Basically in 2005, 17.4 million cars were sold in the US, in 2006 - 17, 2007 - 16.4, 2008 - 13.5, 2009 - 10.6, 2010 - 11.8, 2011 - 13. So from 2007-2011, about 19.1 million less cars were sold. Versus 680k cars that were crushed in cash for clunkers. That decrease is probably 96% of the reason why the price of used cars are high, not that much supply. And also why market prices for good used cars are high, they just didn't make that many of them. Also with a value up to $4500, those were NOT good used cars. Don't forget that Hurricane Sandy alone destroyed 250k cars, and that was all types.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Many people seem to think cash for clunkers lead to an increase in the price of used cars. There's no real reports out there that really support that position. In reality when you go from making 17 million cars a year down to 11 or 12 million cars a year. Basically in 2005, 17.4 million cars were sold in the US, in 2006 - 17, 2007 - 16.4, 2008 - 13.5, 2009 - 10.6, 2010 - 11.8, 2011 - 13. So from 2007-2011, about 19.1 million less cars were sold. Versus 680k cars that were crushed in cash for clunkers. That decrease is probably 96% of the reason why the price of used cars are high, not that much supply. And also why market prices for good used cars are high, they just didn't make that many of them. Also with a value up to $4500, those were NOT good used cars. Don't forget that Hurricane Sandy alone destroyed 250k cars, and that was all types.

A significant portion of the cars that were part of the cash-for-clunkers program were just a few thousand miles away from the junkyard, so they would have been off the road, and unavailable for sale, anyhow. Another chunk of those cars were old, big, heavy beaters, cars and trucks, with lousy gas mileage that still had life in them, but the owners took advantage of the clunker program to get more value for them than they were worth while the takin' was good, and typically they were spare vehicles or were kept for 16 y.o. drivers. In other words there wasn't that many saleable vehicles scooped up in the clunker program.

Wolf makes a great point regarding hurricane cars. The incidence of tornados, hurricanes, floods and the like is way up from what it used to be. That's claiming a fair number of cars, too, and at a time when fewer used cars are coming onto the market.

There are many small factors that when added up have impacted the prices on used cars.

So in a bloated market how do you guys decide what to pay for a car. Since kbb seems to be consistently pretty low.

Originally Posted By: KB2008X
Originally Posted By: Wolf359

A significant portion of the cars that were part of the cash-for-clunkers program were just a few thousand miles away from the junkyard, so they would have been off the road, and unavailable for sale, anyhow. Another chunk of those cars were old, big, heavy beaters, cars and trucks, with lousy gas mileage that still had life in them, but the owners took advantage of the clunker program to get more value for them than they were worth while the takin' was good, and typically they were spare vehicles or were kept for 16 y.o. drivers. In other words there wasn't that many saleable vehicles scooped up in the clunker program.

Wolf makes a great point regarding hurricane cars. The incidence of tornados, hurricanes, floods and the like is way up from what it used to be. That's claiming a fair number of cars, too, and at a time when fewer used cars are coming onto the market.

There are many small factors that when added up have impacted the prices on used cars.

I agree with both you and wolf. It's also interesting on how cars move around the country. When I look at the carfax report for cars on line in my area many of them come from the northern states. In fact my camry was originally sold in Pennsylvania and made its way down south.Our local economies are a lot more intertwined than the average person may think. I really hadn't thought about the hurricane sandy angle. I really din't follow it much other than knowing that, an area that has a high concentration of the US population was hit by the storm.

I get tired of hearing that cash for clunkers is a major cause for the price of used cars now. As stated most of the cars traded in for cash for clunkers were not cars that would have did well or the used car market anyway for the majority of buyers and there are many other factors including inflation that have caused the increase price in cars.

Truthfully though,buying and owning a car is still cheap in america retaliative to other countries.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back