PP & PU being combined into a new oil.... PUP

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is good news. Hopefully, they will offer a 5W-40 or 0W-40 Euro blend locally to me, as well as a 0W-20. I would like to try both in my cars.

Originally Posted By: gpshumway
IMHO this change was overdue. Too many product lines. Maybe now I'll be able to buy SOPUS's top line product locally again.

Absolutely. Of course, the risk here is that Walmart and Canadian Tire will take it as an opportunity to raise their prices.

Originally Posted By: novadude
Does this mean that this forum will start calling the Pennzoil faithful "Puppies"?
Sweet...everyone loves puppies!
Originally Posted By: dparm
I sure hope they don't introduce another oil that is above "Ultra-Platinum". What's next...Diamond? Ultra-Ultra?
"Über-Platinum"

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: 05LGTLtd
It's funny, because these just showed up on the shelf at my AAP:

Yup. AZ is also carrying it now, too.

You are right Autozone was where I was seeing the PU Xw-40's; my brain got stuck there for a moment while typing.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: bluesubie
I live near PQIA so maybe I'll drop by with a bottle PU 5W-40 and ask them to check the NOACK.
laugh.gif

That would be awesome. I've seen labs asking $450 to do this test.

They would probably just laugh at me.
lol.gif

Their mailing address is just a small office building so I presume the lab is elsewhere. Unless they cram a lot of test equipment into a little office. It's down the street from a pub so maybe PU testing and a pint of Guinness!

Hmmm. Tom NJ?!
grin2.gif
11.gif

-Dennis

Last edited:
Their mailing address is just a small office building so I presume the lab is elsewhere.

I'm pretty sure PQIA doesn't own a lab. They contract with some company to do all the analysis work, but maybe Tom can confirm.

Originally Posted By: Garak
IMHO this change was overdue. Too many product lines. Maybe now I'll be able to buy SOPUS's top line product locally again.

Absolutely. Of course, the risk here is that Walmart and Canadian Tire will take it as an opportunity to raise their prices.

Always a risk, but I kind of doubt WM would price it out of line with other top-line synthetics like M1 EP and Castrol Extended. I've been wrong before of course.

Woohoo.
This means my local napa is going to have to dump all the ultra they've got in stock to make room for this new flagship product.
I think I'll head down there tomorrow and ask if they can email/call me when the old ultra needs to be cleared. I'll buy it all if the price is right.

So is this new ultra the same as the old ultra or exactly what is the difference other than basically dump/combining the platinum badge.
This is definitely a game changer.
No matter what pennzoil does there will always be diehard fanboys for whatever brand out there,no matter how much data you provide,my only concern is price,which means I'm buying whatever quality syn is fantastically priced no matter the brand.
So yeah sopus is my go to producer,redline is my favorite but depending on what it costs I may be forced to buy something else.
Not that I need to worry about oil for the next few years anyways. Gives me lots of time to shop.

Always a risk, but I kind of doubt WM would price it out of line with other top-line synthetics like M1 EP and Castrol Extended.

They'll increase everything else at the same time, too.
wink.gif

can someone explain in simpler terms...

does this mean- PP is going away?
Or a new 'better' oil will be out?

Im just asking- since Ive started 'looking' for PP to be on sale etc.
I currently have about 7- (5 qt) jugs of PP for my DI 3.6 Equinox.

Should I be looking for any leftover PU or PP?

Originally Posted By: rbarrios
can someone explain in simpler terms...

does this mean- PP is going away?
Or a new 'better' oil will be out?

I would assume that something is in fact going away, but don't know if it's PP or some other Pennzoil product. I hope SOPUS is not planning on keeping them all and maintaining the existing product naming, as that would result in some of the most confusing marketing ever known to man...

Pennzoil Platinum
Pennzoil Ultra
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum

I think that is a reasonable guess, but what we see on some Autozone shelves is Pennzoil Ultra European (PUE), and Pennzoil Ultra SRT (PUS).
grin.gif

....confusing marketing..... Amen. Not to mention that retailers (especially WalMart) will make a shelf space decision and bump something else off the shelf to make room. Like they did with NextGen.

I have to believe there is a higher price in the end if they can get away with it.

Originally Posted By: Swift101
My theory is PU will go away or both PU and PP will be replaced by PUP.

Yes.....

Their mailing address is just a small office building so I presume the lab is elsewhere. Unless they cram a lot of test equipment into a little office. It's down the street from a pub so maybe PU testing and a pint of Guinness!

Hmmm. Tom NJ?!
grin2.gif
11.gif

-Dennis

PQIA utilizes highly reputable ISO accredited laboratories for its analyses.

Happy to meet you at the pub anytime for a beer!

Tom NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back