Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 or Mobil 1 0W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still cant decide which one to go for!
The Mobil 1 runs for around $13 a QUART while the Shell Helix Ultra is being sold for around $11 a QUART.

Isn't Mobil 1 about $25 at Walmart for a 5 quart jug and a little under $8 a quart?

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Isn't Mobil 1 about $25 at Walmart for a 5 quart jug and a little under $8 a quart?

The fact that he referred to Shell Helix Ultra means he's not in the United States.

I would run whichever of the two is cheaper. Both are excellent oils.

Originally Posted By: dparm
The fact that he referred to Shell Helix Ultra means he's not in the United States.

I would run whichever of the two is cheaper. Both are excellent oils.

Yup, what ever is cheaper since he/she is not in US

Hi,
Noobie - I have used both of these excellent lubricants in a variety of vehicles over many years

Either will perform at the very highest levels, that said, I prefer M1 0W-40

As stated above, Shell products tend to be excellent.

But these days most oils are far better than actually needed and thus are severely under-utilized...

My subjective experience in a Mercedes 5.5 is that Shell Ultra Euro is quieter and smoother while M1 seems to redline with more gusto.

Yeah, there are not many option here where i live. (Euro approved oils such as BMW LL-01, MB, etc)

The options i have are:
GC $12
Shell Helix Ultra $11
Mobil 1 $13

Those are the best prices i could find, most stores have the Helix Ultra for $14 and the Mobil 1 for $16!!

Last edited:
Your Everclear isn't the same as our Everclear, is it?

http://www.pqiamerica.com/Everclear7-2011.htm

Originally Posted By: Noobie
The Mobil 1 runs for around $13 a QUART while the Shell Helix Ultra is being sold for around $11 a QUART.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Car still runs great. Quieter and smoother than synths! /sarcasm

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Why are you assuming the OP isn't in the US or Canada?

Just because he or she has used Shell Ultra.

Does it matter where they are from

Is their opinion somehow inferior if they are not from US or Canada?

Hmm i forgot i asked the same thing like a year ago. Hahahaha
That time i went with M1 0W-40 but im leaning towards Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 this time due to costs.

Another thing i've noticed is that PU 5W-40 does not seems to be the same as Shell Helix Ultra. In fact i think it's probably better. I've looked at dozens of MSDS and TDS from Shell and all of the Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 have old stats, even MSDS and TDS that were updated at the end of 2013 but when i see the TDS of the PU 5W-40 it has the specs of the newer formulation. [censored]!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: bigjl
Why are you assuming the OP isn't in the US or Canada?

Because we've read his prior posts.

Should have thought of that!

Still don't know why that is an issue though.

Originally Posted By: bigjl
Still don't know why that is an issue though.

You're the one making it an issue. I don't see what the problem is. The subject of location is important because it dictates availability and pricing of certain products, such as the M1 for $25/jug mentioned by one of the previous posters.

Nobody said that their opinion is "somehow inferior."

Was going to go Mobil 1 NewLife 0w40 again after considering 5w30 for winter. Specced for later Clio with FAP/DPF.

But have now found Shell Ultra 5w40 for just over £22 for 5litres at EuroCarParts.

Shell C1 5w30 seemed to work fine in the Jag for the 3000 miles or so it was in there till the 95k service.

I have really taken my eye off the ball with the Clio due to two sudden family bereavements and a house move.

I think the oil has been in there 12k or 13k so it needs to come out as 90% of the miles now are short local miles.

Though it now does half or less a year.

Went with the Helix Ultra mainly because of price.
Lowest price i could get for the Mobil 1 0W-40 was $13.60 so i decided to go for the Helix Ultra which i managed to get for $10!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back