PP & PU being combined into a new oil.... PUP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked about "Pennzoil Ultra Platinum" on Pennzoil's Facebook page a few days ago. So far no comment. They are being tight lipped.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Wonder why they published the MSDS then?

It wouldn't be the first time for SOPUS to publish some spec sheets in advance of any marketing activity. They have also published documents for products which were never released. Example: Pennzoil Ultra Euro 0w-40. TDS and MSDS for it were published more than a year ago. The product is nowhere to be found.

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
Pennzoil Ultimate Titanium Durability with MaxLife Super Technology 5000

That would have a great acronym, PUTD/W MST5K, or PUTDMST5K for short.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I asked about "Pennzoil Ultra Platinum" on Pennzoil's Facebook page a few days ago. So far no comment. They are being tight lipped.

Maybe this isn't to consolidate the PP and PU lines at all to remove confusion. Maybe they're introducing an intermediate between PP and PU.
wink.gif
We could be getting it now, but just don't know it. Shell doesn't like to waste old labels and bottles, either.

I sent them an email for product/technical questions asking about it. We will see if I ever get a response back.

Hi everyone – We are currently working through the details of a big launch and announcement to be revealed this spring. The new offering from Pennzoil is one that will be sure to change the motor oil landscape as we know it and we hope it will excite everyone in the industry. Thanks for all the words of encouragement and support thus far. The BITOG community will be one of the first groups to know the details as we anticipate to officially launch this spring. - The Pennzoil Team

Originally Posted By: SuzanneClerkin
Hi everyone – We are currently working through the details of a big launch and announcement to be revealed this spring. The new offering from Pennzoil is one that will be sure to change the motor oil landscape as we know it and we hope it will excite everyone in the industry. Thanks for all the words of encouragement and support thus far. The BITOG community will be one of the first groups to know the details as we anticipate to officially launch this spring. - The Pennzoil Team

Thank you very much for your response Suzanne
thumbsup2.gif

It's funny, because these just showed up on the shelf at my AAP:

IMG_0563.jpg

IMG_0561.jpg

Guess they are holding the retail shelf space and reducing stocks? Before this month, I had never seen either of these oils here.

So there we have it straight from the horse's mouth... the PUP is officially confirmed.
smile.gif

Can't wait to see/hear more details as they become available.

Originally Posted By: 05LGTLtd
It's funny, because these just showed up on the shelf at my AAP:

Yup. AZ is also carrying it now, too.

Interesting that the 0W-20 Pour point is Typical -42C / -44F
While the 5W-20 and 5W-30 are Typical -51C / -60 °F

Last edited:
They're probably changing the name so we would stop referring to them as PU and PP.
lol.gif

Is the PUE showing up in AAP's and AZ's SM or SN?

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: bluesubie

The labels still say "SM" from what I've read. What's actually inside the bottle, who knows?

They're probably changing the name so we would stop referring to them as PU and PP.
lol.gif

-Dennis

IMG_0562.jpg

IMG_0564.jpg

The 5w-40 was SM, but the 0w-40 was SN.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Trav
Two questions come to mind. How many domestic and Asian manufacturers spec 0w30? In the US anyway is 0w30 really necessary when 5w30 is spec?

I think that's why Mobil goes out of their way to point out that it's acceptable for 5w-30 applications (not to mention pushing the fuel economy issue). Otherwise, it might not move that well.

Off the top of my head Volvo is the only make I know of that specs a Resource Conserving 0w30 in their cars (ACEA A5/B5), so basically no, nobody specs it. It's great in 5w30 applications for those of us that live in cold places.

IMHO this change was overdue. Too many product lines. Maybe now I'll be able to buy SOPUS's top line product locally again.

Thanks Pete and 05. I live near PQIA so maybe I'll drop by with a bottle PU 5W-40 and ask them to check the NOACK.
laugh.gif

-Dennis

I live near PQIA so maybe I'll drop by with a bottle PU 5W-40 and ask them to check the NOACK.
laugh.gif

That would be awesome. I've seen labs asking $450 to do this test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back