0w-20 oil, Mazda GF5 with Moly or PP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have notice not as many posts about the Mazda 0w20 GF5 with Moly oil recently. Has the Mazda oil gown out of favor?

Anyway, cost is not a major factor as this is a hobby and it looks like my 2013 Accord's intelligent OLM will have me change the oil between 10 and 12 mounts around 6000 miles. UOA of factory oil here:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2845363

Comments and recommendations on which of the two oils to use?

No the Mazda high moly 0W-20 hasn't fallen out of favour.
It's a superb oil but is generally more expensive than TGMO and is less available. PP being about the heaviest on start-up OTC 0W-20 would be about the last oil I'd use.

The Mazda 0W-20 would be an excellent oil choice for your Accord.
How about trying it and having a UOA done with a KV40 test.
You'd be the first to do so!

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
No the Mazda high moly 0W-20 hasn't fallen out of favour.
It's a superb oil but is generally more expensive than TGMO and is less available. PP being about the heaviest on start-up OTC 0W-20 would be about the last oil I'd use.

The Mazda 0W-20 would be an excellent oil choice for your Accord.
How about trying it and having a UOA done with a KV40 test.
You'd be the first to do so!

But if you had to you an OTC 0w-20 which one would you use?

Thanks for the reply. The Mazda dealer near me seem to always have it in stock and gives a 15% discount off list when you ask them if they have a better price. I don't drive as much as I use to so it takes longer for the Accord's intelligent OLM to go to 15%. So price of the oil is not a big factor.

I have the Mazda oil in it now. The OLM just turn to 40% with about 4,640 miles and 7 months on the oil so it will be a while before the OLM hits 15% but I do plan to do a UAO.

Please tell me about the KV40 test. I think it will help get VI, correct?

I put the wrong link for the FF UOA above, it should have been: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb..._Ac#Post3053153
The FF oil had about 5850 miles and 8 months when the OLM hit 15%. Long story why I had 3 labs for the FF UOA.

I consider all OEM oils as OTC products.
They're as close as your nearest dealer.
In my case both a Toyota and Mazda dealer are closer to me than a big box store like Walmart.

No dealers close to me or even stock the Mazda oil that I'd like to use. Right now I've got QSUD in our 3 cars. What would be your big box 0w-20 oil recommendation?
Thanks

Originally Posted By: MikeySoft

Please tell me about the KV40 test. I think it will help get VI, correct?

Yes it enables you to calculate the VI.
We know the virgin VI is 221 so it would be nice to know how that attribute holds up in service as well.

Originally Posted By: wymi516
In my case both a Toyota and Mazda dealer are closer to me than a big box store like Walmart.

No dealers close to me or even stock the Mazda oil that I'd like to use. Right now I've got QSUD in our 3 cars. What would be your big box 0w-20 oil recommendation?
Thanks

If your closest Mazda dealer doesn't stock it you can of course have then order it in.

So aside from OEM oils, I like RP's 0W-20 but that's not exactly an OTC oil either.
From the big box stores, whatever's cheapest; they are all relatively close.

We know the virgin VI is 221 so it would be nice to know how that attribute holds up in service as well.

OK, I'll do it but I think my driving is harder on the oil as I have less miles on the oil at 15% OLM while other 2013 Accorder owners appear to get a lot more miles using the OLM. I also had 0.8% fuel according to Blackstone on the factory oil.

It will be a few months before I change the oil. I assuming someone here will compute the VI when I get it?
smile.gif

I'll contact Blackstone but do you and anyone know about what the additional cost is?

OK, I'll do it but I think my driving is harder on the oil as I have less miles on the oil at 15% OLM while other 2013 Accorder owners appear to get a lot more miles using the OLM. I also had 0.8% fuel according to Blackstone on the factory oil.

It will be a few months before I change the oil. I assuming someone here will compute the VI when I get it?
smile.gif

I'll contact Blackstone but do you and anyone know about what the additional cost is?

Why do you feel your driving habits are harder on oil than most? Is it time in service?
I saw a used oil analysis posted either today or yesterday where Blackstone had written that oil has no shelf life and I take that to mean change the oil as per the oil life monitor or total miles,no matter how long in the sump.
As far as easy to find off the shelf oils although I cringe to write it M1 0w-20 afe is always a prudent choice,and we've got a member here who just ran that oil 22000 miles in a ford 5.4,which is double mobils advertised oci,which shows just what it's capable of in an engine that's well maintained.
I do like tgmo on paper although I've yet to find it in real life and the Mazda stuff looks really good too.
I like pennzoil products so that would be my first choice and only because it's easy for me to find it on sale,same with qsud.
Maybe I'll email my local Mazda and see what a case costs locally.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
OK, I'll do it but I think my driving is harder on the oil as I have less miles on the oil at 15% OLM while other 2013 Accorder owners appear to get a lot more miles using the OLM. ...

Why do you feel your driving habits are harder on oil than most? Is it time in service? ...

No. It is because I have a lot less miles on the oil compared to other 9gen Accords owners on the forums when the intelligent OLM hits 15%. I also do a lot of short trips.

smile.gif

While any fuel present in the oil isn't good, 0.8% certainly isn't anything to be concerned about.
While short trips particularly in the winter aren't good for your
engine or the oil, it should be some consolation that a light high VI oil like the Mazda 0W-20 is one of the best oils you could be using under the circumstances.

Blackstone I believe charges $10 for the KV40 test.

Maybe I'll email my local Mazda and see what a case costs locally.

The Idemitsu made Mazda High Moly 0W-20 we're taking about in this thread is only available to Mazda dealers in the States.
Mazda dealers in Canada are using the Petro-Canada made 168 VI 0W-20, and entirely different product.
Honda/Acura Canada are using an Idemitsu made high moly 0W-20 but the last time I checked it is still GF-4 with a 197 VI. Cost is in the 7 buck range per litre.
The best Canadian 0W-20 deal is TGMO.

Originally Posted By: wymi516

Thanks

I've wondered the same thing. The only big box oils in 0W-20 I can find in the DC area are M1 AFE, and Castrol Edge w/ Titanium. I've been pretty curious which of the two would fare better in my Subaru. I'm running Subaru synthetic for now.

MikeySoft,
I just put the Mazda 0w-20 with Moly in my '11 Accord. Have been running it
in my '11 Mazda 6 for a while. Happy with the oil and will continue using it.

I think the bottles used to say "High Moly". They've changed the label to "with Moly". The back of the bottle still states "includes high levels of (Moly)", so
hopefully it's just a label change with no drop in Moly.

OK, I'll do it but I think my driving is harder on the oil as I have less miles on the oil at 15% OLM while other 2013 Accorder owners appear to get a lot more miles using the OLM. ...

Why do you feel your driving habits are harder on oil than most? Is it time in service? ...

No. It is because I have a lot less miles on the oil compared to other 9gen Accords owners on the forums when the intelligent OLM hits 15%. I also do a lot of short trips.

Here is an example why I feel my driving is harder on oil then many others:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...TGM#Post3249913

I had thought that back when it was GF-4 it was called "High Moly", but I can't find any images to back that up. Maybe we just tagged it High Moly here on bitog. Regardless, the VOA on the thread you posted above shows 664 ppm of moly, so I'm content it's still loaded. Thanks for posting that, btw.

I'm considering doing several UOA's on the '11 Accord, simply because I bought it with 40k miles on the engine and I'd like to see what it would show. I'm also curious about how well the Mazda oil holds up. The engine does run like it just left the factory. With the Mazda oil in there it is extremely smooth and quiet.

72te27, looking forward to your UOA. I have not found any yet with the Mazda oil other than a Mazda FF. This may or may not have been the Mazda w/Moly oil. I'm a few months away so I'm not sure you or I will be first.
smile.gif
Maybe post a link in this thread when you post the UAO so I’ll get notified and not miss it.

To me, My 2013 Accord sound about the same with the FF and Mazda oil. It sounds a little like a quite diesel. I think because of the DI.

PS
It feels a little strange going to a Mazda dealership buying something for a Honda car.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back