Oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been using Amsoil in my 2011 Kia Soul since new. It has 105,000 miles on it, and I need a cheaper yet equally effective alternative. I drive 40 miles one way to work 5 days a week. Not stop and go. I drive an average of 500 miles a week. Currently I have been changing oil and filter at 10k with no issues. Any suggestions?

I would give Pennzoil Ultra a try, Walmart usually sells it for around $28 (5 quart jug).

Originally Posted By: Swift101
I would give Pennzoil Ultra a try, Walmart usually sells it for around $28 (5 quart jug).

Thanks for the suggestion, but thats more expensive than what I pay for amsoil....

You're getting a great price for Amsoil, you might want to consider QSUD, Kia/Hyundai recommend it. It meets all manufacture specs and from what I remember costs around 21 bucks at Walmart. I'll be using it once my PU stash runs dry.

Last edited:
You're getting a great price for Amsoil, you might want to consider QSUD, Kia/Hyundai recommend it. It meets all manufacture specs and from what I remember costs around 21 bucks at Walmart. I'll be using it once my PU stash runs dry.

Yeah, I pay $53.00 a case for the OE version of Amsoil.

So, you're getting it that cheap and you are looking for an equally effective alternative, but want something less expensive? Not going to happen.

Go longer than 10,000 miles if that is the box you've put yourself in. I know its not recommended for OE but you don't have a lot of alternatives.

Originally Posted By: HAWG4LIFE

Thanks for the suggestion, but thats more expensive than what I pay for amsoil....

Presumably a case = 12 quarts? If so, I'd probably just stick with Amsoil then.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Presumably a case = 12 quarts? If so, I'd probably just stick with Amsoil then.

Thats what I was afraid of. I guess its fair to assume that it would be difficult to keep the same level of protection for less $$$?

I guess its fair to assume that it would be difficult to keep the same level of protection for less $$$?

Yup.

Have you done a UOA to see how things are doing at 10K miles? Since you rack up a lot of easy miles quickly, possibly you could extend your OCI past 10K if your goal is to save money.

Thinking more about it, did you calculate the cost of using (Walmart bought) M1 EP out to 15,000 miles? That would be a 50% mileage extension for not a lot more money.

Does your warranty stipulate a max OCI of 10k miles for your situation? Do you care about meeting the specs to avoid any potential warranty problems?

If you care about staying with a speced oil for warranty, you probably won't beat your Amsoil price unless you watch the Rebates section for closeout oil.

Otherwise, I agree with kschachn about seeing if M1 EP would come out to be cheaper at 15k miles on a per mile basis.

Ive run amsoil in pretty much every vehicle, bike, car, truck Ive owned over the last 10 years. Im out of warranty now, so thats not an issue. I know you guys will bust my balls for my "Amateur analysis" but I figured at 10k oci I have very little change in color of the oil from new. I know, that really doesnt mean much.

I guess its fair to assume that it would be difficult to keep the same level of protection for less $$$?

Yup.

Have you done a UOA to see how things are doing at 10K miles? Since you rack up a lot of easy miles quickly, possibly you could extend your OCI past 10K if your goal is to save money.
Protection? Thats amsoil OE, not Signature - The QSUD or ultra should be easily as good or better with a normal factory OCI interval. No difference in "protection" here, whatever you feel "protection" is. No use "cheaping out" on oil for 2 GALLONS WORTH OF GAS COST. NOT GOOD ECONOMICS ANY WHAY YOU LOOK AT IT. CUT YOUR BUDGET SOMEWHERE ELSE, NOT ON CAR MAINTENENCE. Good luck with the car and sorry for the caps lock.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Yup.

Protection? Thats amsoil OE, not Signature - The QSUD or ultra should be easily as good or better with a normal factory OCI interval. No difference in "protection" here, whatever you feel "protection" is. No use "cheaping out" on oil for 2 GALLONS WORTH OF GAS COST. NOT GOOD ECONOMICS ANY WHAY YOU LOOK AT IT. CUT YOUR BUDGET SOMEWHERE ELSE, NOT ON CAR MAINTENENCE. Good luck with the car and sorry for the caps lock.

i totally agree, on paper from my understanding PU is better then QSUD and way better then Amsoil OE.

Amsoil OE $4.41 per quart
PU $5.59 per quart Walmart
QSUD $4,39 per quart Walmart

if your running 10k OCI on Amsoil OE.
i don't see why you wouldn't run QSUD longer and PU even longer then that, going by what's paper.

Best way to know is UOA.

The QSUD or ultra should be easily as good or better with a normal factory OCI interval.

Sure, but is QSUD or Ultra going to cost him less than what he's currently paying for Amsoil OE?

The QSUD or ultra should be easily as good or better with a normal factory OCI interval.

Sure, but is QSUD or Ultra going to cost him less than what he's currently paying for Amsoil OE?

PP $5.03 per quart Walmart
QSUD $4.39 per quart Walmart

and that is PP & QSUD without the oil change specials that AAP & AZ run once in a while with a mobil 1 filter.

Last edited:
If you have a really good source for Amsoil, switch to signature and extend your OCI. It should extend it enough to bring your cost per mile down over the long term.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt

PP $5.03 per quart Walmart
QSUD $4.39 per quart Walmart

and that is PP & QSUD without the oil change specials that AAP & AZ run once in a while with a mobil 1 filter.

Right, that's what I meant. Doesn't seem like much of a saving unless you feel like hunting for deals, which of course many BITOGers do.

Originally Posted By: SF0059
If you have a really good source for Amsoil, switch to signature and extend your OCI. It should extend it enough to bring your cost per mile down over the long term.

I realize that without an analysis, Im guessing at best, but 10k is the limit of my comfort zone for running oil. It might be perfectly fine, but it starts looking pretty bad after that, and I dont like to run a filter longer than that for sure. Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I should just stick with what Im doing now....

Originally Posted By: SF0059

I realize that without an analysis, Im guessing at best, but 10k is the limit of my comfort zone for running oil. It might be perfectly fine, but it starts looking pretty bad after that, and I dont like to run a filter longer than that for sure. Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I should just stick with what Im doing now....

If I was you I would use Amsoil Signature Series with Fram Ultra filter and do 25k/12mo OCI. But your "comfort zone" is at 10k so Amsoil OE is perfect for you.

My LS400 OCI with name brand synthetic and low-end/mid-range filter is 12 mo, mileage can be as high as 18-19k, 1/2 quarts top off every 4-5k miles. The car has more than 350k miles without engine related problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back