2000 Honda Civic Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a used 2000 civic about a year ago. I am currently using 5 30 Maxlife and a Quaker State Menard oil filter. It appears to burn about a quart of oil every 3,000 miles. Is this normal? I change my oil every 4,000 due to my frequent 10 minute trips. Is the oil & filter I use good enough? Thanx

If its a VTEC motor and ran hard, thats very normal. If you do lots of frequent 10 min trips, I'd either shorten your OCI to 3000 or use a syn oil.

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
If its a VTEC motor and ran hard, thats very normal. If you do lots of frequent 10 min trips, I'd either shorten your OCI to 3000 or use a syn oil.

Unless that engine is prone to sludge, it's difficult to imagine that dyno can't do 4K ocis even with short trips.

My d16y7 used to burn a quart every 800 miles and still got me 30mpg... I would not worry.

You're in good shape. I'd probably run it to 5,000 miles with a PureONE filter. Burning a quart every 3k is no big deal.

I would run Pennzoil Platinum or Maxlife Synthetic and a Honda filter and change every 4000 miles for 2 changes then every 5000. You will notice the cleaning and it may reduce the consumption.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: racin4ds

1st Car: 2000 Honda Civic VP, same engine as yours.
I got the car at 60k and got rid of it at 320k
i did no maintenance other then random oil changes, if i ever remembered it.
@ 310k head gasket went bad and got a JDM ZC motor which was a directly replacement(great idea btw if your engine [censored] out on you)

3rd & Current Car: 1996 Honda Civic LX, same engine as before.
i started doing my own car maintenance, and at one point was burning 1 quart every 500 miles. My oil burning is very random, since i started to top of my oil the moment it would drop from the full dot. The oil sump is only 3.6 quart with filter...I just drove 350 miles to Chicago two days ago @ 90 mph cruising speeds and it didn't burn any oil. I have no idea why it's so random. I actually have a mix of Super-Tech FS 5w30, Super-Tech FS 5w20, and QSUD 5w20 because of the random quarts i had laying around. I have been topping off with the 5w20 FS mix of the two brands.

My suggestion would be to top off your oil constantly with the cheapest oil you can find, and probably a thicker oil (5w40 and 10w40 in cold temperature) and (15w40 in hot temperature).

OCI, since you will be constantly topping off your oil & getting fresh oil in there, i wouldn't change oil until 7500 miles and filter every other oil change. I would use Fram Ultra for it's filtering efficiency & high dirt holding capacity.

Honda suggested Oil Change Interval for this engine in 1996 on the dino oil of that decade was:
Normal Driving Condition: 7500 miles & oil filter every other oil change
Severe Driving Condition: 3750 miles & oil filter every other oil change

Walmart has the cheapest prices daily
Sam's Club has really cheap dino oil currently, depending on your location, even cheaper then Walmart and these are in 1 quart bottles rather then the big 5.1 quart bottles at Walmart.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/valvoline-premium-5w30-12-1-qt/157309.ip?navAction=
12 1-quart bottles for 25.88

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/pennzoil-10...8.ip?navAction=
12 1-quart bottles for 21.78

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/trop-artic-5w-30-syn-blend-motor-oil-1-qt/160474.ip?navAction=
12 1-quart bottles for 20.32

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/certified-1...0.ip?navAction=
12 1-quart bottles for 17.48

Currently in the family is a '93, 1998 and 2005 Civic. I take care of them all. None burn any oil. I did have a '78 Civic that burned some but ended up putting high mileage 10W40 in it and it lasted to 320 000 km when I sold it. I also had a 2003 Civic Hybrid for about five years. Sold it with 280 000 km. It did not burn a drop of oil. I was worried about the battery. Either try a high mileage oil or put something thick and inexpensive in it. If you are adding a quart as often as you say, they you are constantly getting fresh oil. Don't change the oil for 10 000 miles. Just my two cents worth...

Originally Posted By: cb450sc
Currently in the family is a '93, 1998 and 2005 Civic. I take care of them all. None burn any oil. I did have a '78 Civic that burned some but ended up putting high mileage 10W40 in it and it lasted to 320 000 km when I sold it. I also had a 2003 Civic Hybrid for about five years. Sold it with 280 000 km. It did not burn a drop of oil. I was worried about the battery. Either try a high mileage oil or put something thick and inexpensive in it. If you are adding a quart as often as you say, they you are constantly getting fresh oil. Don't change the oil for 10 000 miles. Just my two cents worth...

Yes 10k good idea, what OCI for your 1998 civic? And what engine? I will be rebuilding mine come summer that's why I'm wondering if I can get mine to burn no oil like my 1ZZ-FED & 2ZZ-GE after their respective rebuilds

Thanks everyone. I change my oil myself. I asked the counter guy at Honda dealership if you can really change oil filter EVERY OTHER oil change and he told me no. However, as someone stated the Honda manual says to do just that. Would a Purelator Pure One hold up for 8,000 miles for TWO oil changes??? I drive big city Chicago type driving.

Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
Thanks everyone. I change my oil myself. I asked the counter guy at Honda dealership if you can really change oil filter EVERY OTHER oil change and he told me no. However, as someone stated the Honda manual says to do just that. Would a Purelator Pure One hold up for 8,000 miles for TWO oil changes??? I drive big city Chicago type driving.

Did he engineer your engine? & write your car manual? Big fat No. He is clueless, that's like going to parts store, they always say every 3000 mil oil & filter change. It's just a way to make money and not be liable for any damage to your engine.

If your engine is not sludged up, 8000k easily on two OCI.
I have a autozone STP on 96 civic that will be run for 10k on one OCI
DNewton ran a motorcraft (4 dollar n change @ Walmart) for 15k on 1 OCI on Dino supertech Walmart oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back