Front brakes at 5mm

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took my 2007 A6 in for bad telephone module. Dealer said front brakes at 5mm. I will do this myself. Car has 55k miles. Approx how many miles will I go before I need to to them?

Probably quite a bit more. Do the pads have wear sensors? If so, even after the wear sensors trigger, you can typically still go a few thousand miles. Of course, how hard you work the brakes will determine how far you can actually go.

I would also plan on putting in new rotors at the same time you replace the pads.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Probably quite a bit more. Do the pads have wear sensors? If so, even after the wear sensors trigger, you can typically still go a few thousand miles. Of course, how hard you work the brakes will determine how far you can actually go.

I would also plan on putting in new rotors at the same time you replace the pads.

Yes it has wear sensors. I typically drive middle lane keep up with the flow. I dont drive agressively. Yes I will get new rotors. I see 2 sizes on rockauto site 347 & 321 mm diameters. Not sure how to know what I have short of taking wheel off and measuring

Last edited:
Anyone that gives you a mileage estimate is blowing smoke. There is no way to tell with any certainty. It is all dependant on pad and rotor material, and driving style. Also pads don't wear in a linear fashion.

That being said, I replace pads on my own car when they get to the 4-5mm range.

Plan on doing them now. Do not replace the rotors or turn them. Just clean them well with brake cleaner. No need to replace rotors unless you are having a pulsation and/or they are worn out of spec - which is doubtful at 55k miles.

I change my pads at the recommended > 0.1 inch (5mm) thickness and have never needed new rotors on my Porsches, Subaru, or Mazdas.

Last edited:
5mm is ~~.2inch right?

Also ALOT of shady dealers keep a bad/miscalibrated set of calipers for brake work.

they told my step-mom her brakes were at 5mm ITS DANGEROUS TO DRIVE HOME THEY CANT LET HER LEAVE UNTIL HER BRAKES ARE REPLACED... she calls my dad up.

He went in there with a set of mitutoyo Calipers and micrometer (hes a machinist) and they had 8mm left.

they were like oops and disappeared the bad calipers.

NEXT TIME SHE CAME IN.. they tried the same exact scam AGAIN.

Last edited:
I run my down to 3mm (1/8") of friction material. If the pads are taper-wearing, 3mm is the minimum, even though the other end of the pad may be thicker. The only way to be sure is to take the pads off and measure them. Visual inspection with the caliper installed is not good enough.

5mm? That's a ton. 2mm is replacement time usually.

Replacing pads at 5mm does not save you from having to replace rotors. That's a load of baloney. Rotor replacement is dictated by the minimum thickness, amount of runout measured, surface condition and amount of disc thickness variation.

I was thinking that too; if the rotors are chewed up, and getting close to min thickness, why not go until rivets hit?

I screwed up in my previous statement. I change out my pads at ~ 2-3mm and not 5. I also agree with Critic on the reasons to decide on whether to replace rotors or not. Ed

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Rotor replacement is dictated by the minimum thickness, amount of runout measured, surface condition and amount of disc thickness variation.

Not sure about his Audi, but on most BMWs the rotor material is so thin that it won't last through two sets of pads, and you don't want to be replacing rotors half way through the life of your pads, so that's why BMW recommends to have the rotors replaced at the same time as the pads.

Typical on Mercedes you get two sets of pads per rotor, also if they lasted 55k miles your doing well! Audi is probably similar, German brakes are German brakes.

If the lips are not terrible I'd just pad slap it.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Typical on Mercedes you get two sets of pads per rotor, also if they lasted 55k miles your doing well! Audi is probably similar, German brakes are German brakes.

If the lips are not terrible I'd just pad slap it.

I am going to change rotors as the lip around the edge is pretty large. I will wait to sensor comes on since I am doing the rotors. Thanks for all replies

Don't forget to change the brake fluid while your at it. Should be done at least every two years on German cars.

Last edited:
For reference, Mercedes specifies replacement at 2.5 mm. New pads are 11 mm. With 5 mm, you have about 25% left on the pads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back