Nearly Two Years Since Last Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to get everyone's opinion on this. I last changed the oil in my 2.2L Ecotec Malibu 1/28/12 with Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 at 24,446 miles. It is now at 29,555 miles and the OLM is at 24%. The car sat mostly unused (about 150 miles put on it total) from April to December 2013. The filter has not been changed. Is it safe to assume this oil has still been good on the engine all this time? I plan on changing it very soon...

In my old Mercedes ML, I also didn't change the oil for about 2 years. It started having mechanical issues and we barely drove it up until it was sold. In typical German car fashion, this thing had a nearly 9 qt oil sump so it could do long OCIs without a problem.

Last edited:
the problem I see with it is the time it sat was at the latter part of the mileage. I would bet you that a UOA would show higher lead than normal, as that is typically what happens if used oil is left sitting for a few months. I see it all the time in harvesters and tractors and recommend that they sit between harvests with clean oil.

The question that comes to mind is, how long do you plan on keeping the car? If it will get replaced by the age of 10 then don't bother changing the oil and run it until the oil life monitor tells you that it's time for an oil change.

If you plan on keeping the car until the wheels fall off, I'd change the oil now as it's been long enough, IMO.

I changed oil in a seldomly used car annually.

That made me feel good and kept it in compliance with warranty requirements.

I'm sure two years would work equally as well.

Without warranty concerns, I'd change it when I felt like it.

What's the difference between oil sitting in an oil pan and oil sitting in a 55 gallon bulk barrel for two years?

2 years is way past my comfort zone, no more than 6 months for me. I think 1 year should be the absolute MAX.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
I changed oil in a seldomly used car annually.

That made me feel good and kept it in compliance with warranty requirements.

I'm sure two years would work equally as well.

Without warranty concerns, I'd change it when I felt like it.

What's the difference between oil sitting in an oil pan and oil sitting in a 55 gallon bulk barrel for two years?

Ummm...your manual specifies "mileage or annual"? Never seen that. I'll bet it says 3 or 6 months. Sure hope the warranty police don't catch you. Do you keep receipts from the oil and filters you buy?

Originally Posted By: widman
I would bet you that a UOA would show higher lead than normal, as that is typically what happens if used oil is left sitting for a few months.

I have never seen high lead on any of my vehicles that get a change every couple of years. My Wrangler and buggy get used once in a blue moon.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
2 years is way past my comfort zone, no more than 6 months for me. I think 1 year should be the absolute MAX.

Not trying to disagree, but I have stored a number of vehicles for 2-2.5 year intervals. They only had 30 min. runs about 6X a year. Never once has there been any oil issues at all and I still own them.

Especially with a highest quality syn, PU, its perfectly OK.

The oil shouldn't be 'worn out' but you might have some doubt about moisture or contamination. Maybe you could drain a little out, a quart or so, and see if you find water. I have done that and seen water and it was oil that was in there less than a year.

Why a 2-year OCI?
A once-a-year change @ $50-60 seems cheap to pass over....it would also give the mechanic a view of the underbelly you don't otherwise see, an opportunity to inspect the rest of the car...the car is 7 years old and "things" happen....7 years and few OCs isn't the worst problem a car would experience...

A car sitting that long over so few miles would result in OTHER more serious issues with OTHER fluids (brake, power steering, coolant, AT) and rubber components that degrade with neglect over TIME and not just miles....

Stretching an OCI has always seemed to me to be the most expensive/worst possible maintenance policy in the long run...but as said, if you're not in it for the long run it shouldn't matter...to YOU...but to the next owner, well, that would be a shame if the next owner had problems as a result...

Last edited:
I wouldn't sweat it, especially with only 5k miles on it and PU in there. Change it when the weather gets warm. Make sure the level isn't low, keep it topped off.

Originally Posted By: widman
the problem I see with it is the time it sat was at the latter part of the mileage. I would bet you that a UOA would show higher lead than normal, as that is typically what happens if used oil is left sitting for a few months. I see it all the time in harvesters and tractors and recommend that they sit between harvests with clean oil.

Just curious why that would be? Where does the lead come from?
confused2.gif

Some posters must feel they live in an area that rivals Nome for winters and Death Valley for summers, with no Fall or Spring to speak of...

Normal temps and humidity don't turn the oil in a crankcase to H2SO4 in a year or two. Hoses don't rot overnight because a car is sitting in a garage. Brake fluid (DOT4) in a system that isn't compromised doesn't turn into gell.

5-10 years? Yeah, I'd do some extra maintenance, but...

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back