New water pump housing rusting with a quickness

Status
Not open for further replies.
New water pump housing installed(DIY) 2 months ago. Rust spots rapidly forming on exterior. No leaks from around gasket, appears to be oxidation from standard atmospheric exposure. Bought from AAP, wanted a Motorcraft unit, but this was only one they offered. Cheap [censored].
IMG_20140114_092952_zps884abc0d.jpg

Originally Posted By: gr8gatzby
Bought from AAP, wanted a Motorcraft unit, but this was only one they offered.

That's what happens when you limit yourself to whatever the cheapest place keeps in stock. AAP does carry many brands, but the ones that they happen to have on hand in the store will typically be pretty bottom of the barrel.

If it's the Tough One (GMB rebranded, I think) pump, it's Assembled in USA (how did that happen??) and they get good reviews.

looks like just slight surface rust to me. What is the housing made of? is it cast iron? If so without paint or some sort of sealer, it WILL rust when exposed to the elements, and in the case of cast iron, that is actually a good thing, as the rust on it actually protects it.

Just re read the original post. the text says water pump housing, but the picture is of a thermostat housing. No difference though, my statement still stands.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Yuck. Chinesium dumped on the market or what?

It sure looks that way. I changed one years ago for my son with the only part the store had in stock, which looked like it was a poor quality item. I would have rather gone OEM but my son was in a hurry. I painted it with a high heat silver paint before installing it which was a big help.

Of course Iron parts will get surface rust. I thought It was an Al casting before I read the post about high heat paint.
Did you Bake it? If not it might be YOUR fault for improper finishing. You could also.

Nothing wrong with the old one. Just figured I'd replace it when I changed out the tstat.
This I don't get. You ended up replacing a perfectly good working OEM part with a questionable aftermarket part. Why?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Nothing wrong with the old one. Just figured I'd replace it when I changed out the tstat.
This I don't get. You ended up replacing a perfectly good working OEM part with a questionable aftermarket part. Why?

I agree. I would never replace a working thermostat.

you could trying a metal protector on it to help with the rust, at work we sprayed a coat of shaker can primer on some 57 chevy nomad doors in September and they haven't developed anymore rust since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back