Can Mazda SkyActiv engines do 10k OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a bit uncertain about the oci for the SkyActiv 2.0 and the new 2.5. The dealerships are recommending 5k mile oci. I only know that the SkyActiv engines have fuel dilution which can affect the longevity of the oil, but I have heard that dilution can be eliminated for the most part by running mid-grade gas 89.

I miss 10k on my old Honda CR-Z.

Can SkyActiv do 10k oci?

What does the manual say?

Dealer recommendations are often mostly looking for more business. So if they recommend something it is phishing. Personally I would expect the higher-end synthetics (ie PP and Mobil1 EP) to handle it fine.

Don't know why 89 octane fuel would dilute more/less than 87/93.

If 10,000 miles is the manufacturer-suggested OCI, maybe it would be fine. But there isn't a lot of real-world experience with this engine, or the new-generation DI engines in general, so it may pay to be prudent. Depending on your driving style, 5k seems a good place to start. If you want to be comfortable with a longer interval you can always get a used oil analysis and see how fuel dilution/shearing/wear metals/TBN look.

Our Skyactiv Mazda 3 recommeds 5k for severe and 7.5k miles for normal drive cycle. Anything beyond that, you risk voiding your warranty. Choose wisely .......

I haven't noticed any fuel dilution yet with my snif-o-meter on our 13 Skyactiv motor between changes. I'm doing the 4 month, 5k mile oci interval for warranty.

Last edited:
My Dealer said 5k for severe driving. Living in Baltimore and commuting to DC would be considered severe I guess. Maybe because of the stop and go due to traffic? 7k is recommended for hwy driving. It seems as though that SkyActiv is hard on oil

I don't mind the 5k mile interval. It's the 4 months that make that interval rough for our 3. My wife barely puts 4k miles on the Mazda in 4 months.

Same for my 2010 Mazda 3 driven by my son. He drives 5,000 miles per year. Just doesn't make sense to change the oil every 1,700 miles to meet the 4 month requirement. Mazda designates Canada as severe requirement - period.

Gas Direct Injection engines pretty much require synthetic oil. It is harsher on oil than standard MPFI engines.

You can use quality conventional oil just fine, but I wouldn't trust it for 5,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: accent2012
Gas Direct Injection engines pretty much require synthetic oil. It is harsher on oil than standard MPFI engines.

You can use quality conventional oil just fine, but I wouldn't trust it for 5,000 miles.

"pretty much" you say. Hyundai, Mazda, Toyota and Honda do not specify that synthetic oil has to be used. Care to explain where you got your "pretty much" from?

DI engines are harder on oil as they tend to dilute the oil with fuel. Synthetic oils do no better than conventionals on fuel dilution. I suggest you are better off using a good conventional such a PYB and change it more often.

Originally Posted By: SkyActivG
My Dealer said 5k for severe driving. Living in Baltimore and commuting to DC would be considered severe I guess. Maybe because of the stop and go due to traffic? 7k is recommended for hwy driving. It seems as though that SkyActiv is hard on oil

Wow, a surprising semi-honest answer from a dealer anywhere near the B-W area.

How much is your commute on the highway/parkway. Living in DC going from the Palisades to North Capitol was hard on oil, but even with traffic (because in traffic you do not accelerate vigorously... you just lift off the brakes) on the highways it is not really that severe. I would say that 7K would be "severe" if you are using a better-grade syn.

The MAZDA warranty specifies a 4 month required OCI regardless of miles driven?

Say it ain't SO!

Cheers!

p.s. If one feels their driving consists of severe service then that's the interval they should use.

I've been doing 8k miles on M1 EP. Will hopefully send off sample of EP 0w20 with 8k miles on it this week. I just put in M1 5w30 EP. Wanted to go a tad thicker due to the way I drive and possible fuel dilution. I run 93oct so I don't expect to see much fuel dilution in sample.

Originally Posted By: Danno

DI engines are harder on oil as they tend to dilute the oil with fuel. Synthetic oils do no better than conventionals on fuel dilution. I suggest you are better off using a good conventional such a PYB and change it more often.

This...

More frequent changes with a less expensive oil.

I believe some synthetics do worse with fuel dilution depending on their base stock.

So good old PYB @ 5,000 miles is the right prescription.

But if you want to use a synthetic, I'd try a Group III synthetic like Valvoline Synpower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back