rubber-safe low speed grease for strut bearings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to repack a sealed bearing in a suspension strut top mount. The bearing has red colored rubber seals, I'm not sure of the exact type of rubber.

Since this is a low speed application, is there any specific type of grease I should be using that will ideally be safe on the rubber seal, suitable for low speed use, and if it offers any protection from the elements that would be a bonus.

I was looking at redlines CV2 grease but it doesn't mention low speed suitability and also says minimal effect on rubber seals. Is there such a thing as a crease that has no effect on rubber seals, or will it always have some impact.

thanks very much for any suggestions.

I have never seen a seal on a strut turntable blow up from regular grease so I figure they are other seals on the car and just used bearing grease on them and have had no trouble. I use a lot of grease on the seals to keep dire and water out as much as lube for the bearing. The only rubber parts to avoide oil based lube is body type seals and brake parts.

So far I have seen/serviced tapered cone type of upper strut bearings on metal races, and came with standard elastomeric dust seals to keep the dirt at bay.

Since the bearing has it's own race to contain the grease, I'd typically wash the old grease off (sparingly, with brake cleaner) and then re-pack with just the right amount of high moly grease.

I have also encountered nylon ring-based strut bearings in the past (on my Mazda B6 block varieties, early 90s) where I would use either red chassis grease or moly grease also.

Since neither of them bearings would come in-touch with the rubber part of the struts, I never have to worry about grease getting onto the rubber portion of the strut bellows, etc. which will subsequently causes swelling and rubber decomposition.

Q.

I would guess that the rubber seals are not actually rubber, but neoprene or some other synthetic rubber that is tolerant of oils. Most automotive rubbers are tolerant of oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back