Why GM specs Dexos 2 for gasoline cars in Europe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though Dexos 1 is for gasoline and Dexos 2 for diesel, in Europe only Dexos 2 is availiable and dealers use it on both gasoline and diesel engines.
Why is Dexos 2 used in gasoline engines in Europe instead of Dexos 1?

Why is the same engine (eg. Chevy Spark 1.2L) specked Dexos 1 in the US and Dexos 2 in Europe?
Are there any differences in the powertrains?

Differences in the fuel quality. Why don't we use BMW LL-04 in the us for gas cars? Ditto for VW 504/507...

JHZR2 thanks for the reply! Can you elaborate? Is Dexos 2 prohibited for gasoline engines in the US?

Originally Posted By: nickolas84
JHZR2 thanks for the reply! Can you elaborate? Is Dexos 2 prohibited for gasoline engines in the US?

ULSG is standard in Western Europe. I suspect low sulphur gas allows TWC emissions to scrub NOX and cars to run in lean burn.

US gas has up to 30 ppm sulphur but that may be changing.

Last edited:
Can I put Dexos 1 in my gasoline engine which calls for Dexos 2? (I am located in Europe)

Yes, you can. No issue at all by doing that. But someone in the US or Canadian market cannot put Dexos 2 in their gas engine instead of Dexos 1 without shortening the OCI (or at least checking the remaining TBN via UOA for the desired interval).

Can I put Dexos 1 in my gasoline engine which calls for Dexos 2? (I am located in Europe)

Is your car still under warranty? If so, I would stick with what the owner's manual calls for.

I am out of warranty and want the extra fuel economy of 0W-20 oil. There is none availiable in Dexos 2 spec but plenty Dexos 1!

How much economy are you expecting from the 0W-20 ?
are you able to measure 1-2% (2-5L in your annual fuel bill) ?

A gallon of gasoline costs ~9 dollars in Greece. Plus the extra range is always nice, knowing you can make the additional 10 mile trip without filling up.
If I do get a 2% boost in fuel economy, that will pay for the oil change!

Originally Posted By: il_signore97

Yes, you can. No issue at all by doing that. But someone in the US or Canadian market cannot put Dexos 2 in their gas engine instead of Dexos 1 without shortening the OCI (or at least checking the remaining TBN via UOA for the desired interval).

I take it that Dexos 2 is an ULTRA LOW SAPS spec??

Do we even have anything that meets this spec available yet on this side of the pond???

You do have Dexos 2, only it is specked for diesel engines.

One last thing. Is it possible the oil service interval calculator be set up differently? Mine usually calls for an oil change at ~2 years/18.000 miles, though I find most GM owners on BITOG to report getting 5-10 thousand miles calls for an oil change.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

I take it that Dexos 2 is an ULTRA LOW SAPS spec??

Do we even have anything that meets this spec available yet on this side of the pond???

Since the Chevy Cruize Diesel calls for 5W30 Dexos 2 oil, I'm sure that you can purchase it at the dealer. On the shelves, I'm not sure if anything is available yet (plus, I'm in Canada - you guys will get any Dexos 2 oil a lot sooner than we will!!!)

As a close cousin, I'm sure that M1 ESP would be able to meet Dexos 2 requirements if it was actually tested. Viscosity may be off depending on whether or not Dexos 2 has HTHS requirements (M1 ESP is >= 3.5 cP).

You do have Dexos 2, only it is specked for diesel engines.

One last thing. Is it possible the oil service interval calculator be set up differently? Mine usually calls for an oil change at ~2 years/18.000 miles, though I find most GM owners on BITOG to report getting 5-10 thousand miles calls for an oil change.

Your OLM would be calibrated for your particular vehicle, engine, and country / climate of operation. You cannot compare it to vehicles being driven in North America due to different fuel quality, driving habits, regulations, etc.

That being said, if your engine is a D.I. model, then you may be better served by staying with a Dexos 2 oil vs a Dexos 1 oil to minimize valve deposists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back