Aussie Castrol Edge w/ti FST 0w40 vs 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for general discussion, I noticed an interesting thing between these. 0w40 has a lower viscosity index than 5w40. It is also a lighter lubricant with HTHS of 3.6 vs 3.8 for the 5w40.

They both meet the same European specs like A40, LL01, 229.5 etc but Castrol push 0w40 as the better lube and it is an extra $10 a jug. Other than the difference between 0w and 5w is there anything more to these 2? Due to the lower VI could it be assumed the 0w40 is a more robust lubricant maybe, more shear stable? Which would you choose?

Last edited:
I would say the 5w40 is more robust with the higher HTHS. Then you have the bonus of the higher VI. I would go with the 5w40. This is the case on a lot of 0w20/0w30's in the US. There really is little to no appreciable difference in using it vs a 5wXX until you get into extremely low temps. Most of which we would not see in the continental US.

The VI difference isn't that significant although the HTHSV difference is. The bottom line is that the 5W-40 is a heavier oil at all temp's at least in it's virgin state.
Since the 0W-40 is a 0W oil and is more expensive, one can assume it is formulated using higher quality base oils and therefore it may be the more shear stable of the two, so there maybe not much actual viscosity difference between the two oil in service.
Here in NA the Belgian made 5W-40 is known to be more shear prone than GC 0W-30 which is one reason why it was not a popular.

In a Melbourne climate I'd be inclined to use the 5W-40 for it's lower price.

0w40 = PAO & 5w40 = Group3 Hence the price difference.
Only Castrol 0w## & 10w60 are PAO, everything else downunder is Group 3 based

Originally Posted By: SXE10

0W30 is also PAO.

Yes I've heard that before. A guy I know that works for Castrol says the price is a good indication of the base oil. 10w60 and 0w40 have some PAO in them. I assume the adds are all the same in the Edge range.

Castrol is overpriced downunder (I guess they have to pay for all that advertising & sponsorship somehow), if you want a cheap 5w40 have a look at Shell Helix Ultra? If you'd rather PAO then Motul 8100 X-cess would be my choice

If Castrol is overpriced, what does that say about Mobil 1?
crazy.gif
I thought Motul 8100 was just GIII, do you know otherwise?

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: supercity
SXE10 said:
I thought Motul 8100 was just GIII, do you know otherwise?

Does it matter?
M1 SN 0W-40 is GP III based.

No it doesn't matter but it is significantly more expensive than most synthetic 5w40s.

My rep told me all Motul 8100 is 100% Synthetic PAO. 6100 & 4100 are Group 3/Technosynthese

Here in NZ Edge 0w-40 retails for $100, M1 0w-40 $130 & X-cess 5w-40 $103 for 5L.

Just a question in regards to M1 the Aussie MSDS makes no mention of PAO/HIVI mix? I assume there's a thread on this, can you point me in it's direction.
Quote:
Product Name: MOBIL 1 0W-40
Product Description: Synthetic Base Stocks and Additives

That's not exactly what Motul say

Quote:
What does Technosynthese® mean?

Nowadays, the terms 'semi-synthetic', and 'synthetic base', are overused. These terms are not regulated and therefore only a few drops of a synthetic base oil can be added to a mineral base oil to make it a “semi-synthetic”. Obviously the performance and protection of such a lubricant will be more like a mineral product than a synthetic product.

Motul's Technosynthese® lubricants are made from a very special blend of different synthetic base oils which can also include esters and mineral base oils for optimizing performance, whilst considering market price implications. Many Technosynthese® lubricants can achieve the most demanding and stringent OEM approvals, which is a testament of their performance.

Originally Posted By: supercity

Yes I've heard that before. A guy I know that works for Castrol says the price is a good indication of the base oil. 10w60 and 0w40 have some PAO in them. I assume the adds are all the same in the Edge range.

Well I think I got my answer on these two.

I have seen the tech data that does confirm the above. 0w40 is PAO based and has a relatively low VI so I'd assume it's low in VIIs. NOACK is 8.6. Castrol push it as their premium product for performace engines, It also has more zddp plus whatever else they put in it. 5w40 is the cheaper alternative, GIII with higher Noack and less zddp. It would be nice to see a few UOAs of 0w40 from something used on a circuit to see how it compares to the likes of M1.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back