Bye bye PP and PU? Hello QSUD..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mind you this still rumor, but I just informed that a major chain should be "dropping" PP by the end of this summer, and picking up a few new SOPUS products...

Sounds like Pennzoil is cutting things up and changing the lines a bit...I'm betting "PUP" is that product, while QSUD will be the other, slotted where PP would have been.(makes sense with QSUD)

Mind you guys, this is just RUMOR. The source is pretty good, but you know how things change...

New line-up? (if there is a change)

PYB
Penz blend Dexos/0w20
PUP

QSAD
DEFY
QSUD

Just a though there...

Please guys, don't beat me up on this...I was excited and thought I share...

To add to the line, PYB, DEXOS, PUP, MOPAR BLEND, HIGH MILEAGE
Don't know how much is true on that, I know a buddy of mine at the AAP who I graduated with said that's what the new planograms say.
(Planograms are in the retail world visual pictures on what goes where on what shelf at a set time)
Makes sense, try to compete possibly with Motorcraft. I know ultra was the FF in my car, and the dodge dealers uses ultra in the chrysler, dodge, ram, jeep SRT/Hemi models.
Anything not SRT or hemi they use platinum, where you can upgrade to ultra with an extra 10$.
Anything used or non chrysler gets QSUD
I don't even think they do conventional oil changes anymore
I don't know if GM does something similar, and if pennzoil is used in factory fills.
I know the mopar dealer fills because my dart gets it done there, first 6 oc's free, so why not, then I spend the difference cash on ultra upgrade, so pennzoil ultra oc for 10$

My car has 70k miles on it and I just switched to synethic. I am using Penzoil Platinum with a FRAM Ultra oil filter. I do a lot of city driving, stop and go traffic with many short trips in between. Am I using the right oil / filter combo? My friends tell me to use Mobile1 synethic with a Mobile1 filter. What are your thoughts. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreicated.

Thank you for your help.

I love when SOPUS changes names.

Then you can buy syn for $8 a jug on closeout. Still have a jug of Q-Torquepower or Horsepower in the basement.

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
Ready for the clearances of the old stuff!

My fingers are crossed.

Could be. But if the "new" PYB is anything like the PQIA tested there wouldn't seem to be any reason to market a synthetic blend.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Could be. But if the "new" PYB is anything like the PQIA tested there wouldn't seem to be any reason to market a synthetic blend.

If PYB would pass dexos1, and if Pennzoil would market it as such, then I would agree. NOACK isn't everything, though, and PYB may not meet all of the requirements of dexos1. Right now, the Pennzoil Synthetic Blend is the most affordable dexos1 offering. I doubt that will change as long as PYB is marketed as the entry level product. Even if PYB might indeed meet all of the requirements of dexos1, Pennzoil wouldn't necessarily market it as a dexos1 compliant oil.

How many times can one write dexos1 in one post?

Originally Posted By: Kira
What major chain? Do tell. Kira

Let's just say it's a chain in my "area" (aka midwest/great lakes)....that's all I'll say...for now.
smile.gif

PP appears to have been their full syn sales leader to me by a wide margin... so unless they plan to sell PUP for the same price as Platinum they may be setting themselves up for less market share, not more. JMO.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

If PYB would pass dexos1, and if Pennzoil would market it as such, then I would agree. NOACK isn't everything, though, and PYB may not meet all of the requirements of dexos1. Right now, the Pennzoil Synthetic Blend is the most affordable dexos1 offering. I doubt that will change as long as PYB is marketed as the entry level product. Even if PYB might indeed meet all of the requirements of dexos1, Pennzoil wouldn't necessarily market it as a dexos1 compliant oil.

Two scenarios I can see:

Pennzoil does the math, figures passing Dexos1 is worth the increase market share for PYB. Even if that means a slight formula change to make it happen. If the math works, then someone will sell it internally to advance their career.

Second, GTX, Valvoline, M5000, etc makes the move first. One of the Walmart shelf competitors gets Dexos1 on their 'Dino PCMO'. Then it is a matter of time before the rest follow or suffer. Probably won't be Valvoline, since Ashland wouldn't pay for Synpower to carry Dexos1, but you get the point.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

Meeting the "tests" of Dexos in itself isn't good enough. I've been told that GM says it has to be 50% synthetic to be Dexos. That would make sense why no non syn blend oils meets Dexos. Also, don't forget, PZ has a "gold" blend. So confusing for customers as the "Gold" is not Dexos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back