1995 Buick Century Tune Up Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i looked in the manual of my 95 Buick century 3.1 v6 and it says it takes standard spark plugs acdelco r44ltsm6 but i wanted to put platinum plugs in instead since i heard there better is it ok and do i have to gap the platinums or just throw them in there? also which platinum plugs do i get and it doesnt say what type of wires it needs?

Last edited:
how old are your current wires? as for the plugs, I would guess almost anything works in those old GM v6s but I will defer to the more edumacated crowd.

Take a look at the wires.
Are they looking beat up? Cracked? Like they have been there awhile?

Pull a couple of the plugs.
Can you tell if they are platinum? Copper?
How are they looking?
Maybe take a picture and post it.

If your 18 year old car is still running then everything you are looking at has been replaced more than once.
The most inexpensive thing to do is to determine what you have going on and how much life is left before you start replacing things.

My 2002 Ford Taurus can go almost 90,000 miles on a set of Platinum plugs. If someone has recently replaced them in your vehicle, along with wires cap and rotor, then you are good to go.

Unless you are having some kind of misfire or something else going on.

that is a great car and great engine and it will run a long time use the plugs that gm used when it was new and there will be no problems clean the throttle body and use 5w30

I used Autolite Platinum plugs in my 00 Century. They had close to 87K miles at them when I replaced them. In all honesty they probably could have gone 100K miles. The wires were impossible to get off without splitting the boot, so I replaced them. Next time around I'll be sure to let the platinum plugs I put in go 100K miles if I have the car that long.

More preventative maintenance than "tune-up" but...

Change all fluids and rubber parts...
Oil of course, but coolant, brake, AT, and power steering...
Check/change hoses, belts, and mounts...

Any car that old will have "age" as well as "mileage" issues, particularly with liquids and rubber...

This engine uses a waste spark ignition system. Use only double precious metal electrode plugs.
Chances are if the wires have been on there a while you wont get them off in one piece, you may even have to slit the boots as demarpaint did, have a set standing by.

Clean the TB and MAF, new air filter, PCV and a bottle of Techron in the tank and it should be good to go.
I didn't forget the fuel filter but depending on rust you may be better of leaving it.

A vehicle this age still needs decent parts but don't get carried away. A set of Autolite double platinum plugs and Autolite pro wires work well.
Use a AAP online discount code and pick them up at your local store.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/pdf/dyk_waste_spark_ignitions.pdf

49.gif

Is the CEL on? Is it idling smooth? If it's running OK, leave it alone. Those 3.1's had no power, replacing plugs isn't going to make it more peppy.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Is the CEL on? Is it idling smooth? If it's running OK, leave it alone. Those 3.1's had no power, replacing plugs isn't going to make it more peppy.

For what they have for power the A-bodies move okay being under 3000 lbs. Tune ups every 30k on those. CEL won't light easily being OBD-I.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back