Under Valve Cover Pics - 2002 WRX w/Redline Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had to replace a leaking valve cover gasket on my wife's 2002 Subaru WRX w/ 91k miles, so of course I had to take pics of the valve train and upload to BITOG. It has had synthetic oil since 9k with the last 50k or so using Redline Oil, usually around 10w30 (We live in San Diego). Overall I would say it is definitely clean although I was a bit disappointed by the varnish on the inside of the valve cover, but it may be due to the air-oil separator. Not a drop of sludge or noticeable varnish on the valve train. I know Redline is believed to have mystical cleaning abilities, but I don't think PU/PP/M1/GC would have looked much different. Thoughts?

PHOTO_20140111_091822.jpg

PHOTO_20140111_091854.jpg

PHOTO_20140111_092030.jpg

It has "mystical" cleaning abilities? It doesn't carry any formal API, ACEA, GF, or manufacturer approvals so you don't exactly know what you're getting. All of those approvals have minimum cleaning requirements.

While Red Line is a stout oil, I don't necessarily group it above the rest of the pack as far as cleaning ability.

I think the motor looks very clean. A bit of varnish is not a bad thing.

Looks great, some natural discoloration due to age/time but it looks like new otherwise.

Looks good, thanks for sharing.

I just stuck an inspection camera (borescope) into the oil fill neck of my 2007 WRX, which has also been running Redline for the past 20k mi. I've been running synthetic since ~5k mi. With the circuitous route of the fill neck it's hard to get a comprehensive view in a Subaru, but what I could see was extremely clean as well, one small spot of varnish was all I could see.

What AOS do you have? I've got a Grimmspeed unit. What's your OCI been with the Redline?

It is just the factory AOS, the hose connects to the valve cover. I usually run 6k to 7k intervals on the oil.

Looks good. As long as proper maintenance is followed, I think engine design has more to do with how the innards look than oil selection. I changed the gasket on my SOHC Subaru and it looked the same. I've always used Mobil Super 5k. I wish I had taken pics but at the time I was just looking forward to being done with it.

Nice boosted engine And good looking from what can be seen - good oil choice for a LITTLE TURBO 2LITRE. While pISTON VARNISH IS MORE TELLING, you usually wont see it unless you had a failure and tear the motor down. Best way to know that rings are free is good cylinder power balance and maintained high fuel mileage when driven conservatively.

Originally Posted By: uazj1
It is just the factory AOS, the hose connects to the valve cover. I usually run 6k to 7k intervals on the oil.

What AOS? Something I've missed about the EJ20? Sure it's not just a PCV canister?

As good as Redline is, I would opt towards Pennzoil Ultra if it is available to you with your viscosity in mind. More Boron than RL, which I prefer in additives.

Looks better than my FXT did when I had the valve cover gaskets replaced on the right (turbo) side, running various oils. Which side was done on your gf's WRX?

-Dennis

The AOS hose, there is a rubber hose that goes to a hard pipe on the intercooler and hooks up to the valve cover with a small separate cover and gasket. On that valve cover pic you can see that small hole in the middle of the valve cover.

This was the passenger's side of the car, right next to the turbo, which is the likely reason why the passenger side failed before the driver's.

I like using Redline in the WRX because the Group V base stocks are supposed to hold up well to high temps. The car sees mostly city driving, doesn't get to see too much highway, and rarely does she let it idle for a little bit before shutting it off. I have a couple good UOAs with this set up which is why I stick to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back