Mobil 1 105 vs amsoil SDF-20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
which one do you guys prefer?

I have a 03 maxima and currently use the oversized 105 but am thinking about changing to the SDF-20

Both are excellent but for convienence, the M1 hands down. It's a great filter. I have an issue of SI NASCAR and they show a picture of Ryan Newman's car and he is using a M1 filter. I'd say thats a good indication of it's quality.

I have no proof, but I would probably say that amsoil is better, as I think that further testing by Bob and Grease is the word, will prove that the amsoil filters as well as the mobil, and flows better........but that is merely a guess.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Both are excellent but for convienence, the M1 hands down. It's a great filter. I have an issue of SI NASCAR and they show a picture of Ryan Newman's car and he is using a M1 filter. I'd say thats a good indication of it's quality.

Since Mobil 1 is one of his sponsors, I'd say it indicates something else!

quote:

Originally posted by trey:
which one do you guys prefer?

I have a 03 maxima and currently use the oversized 105 but am thinking about changing to the SDF-20

You might want to try the SDF-36 if it fits. I also like the M1-105.

Didn't someone post some pictures showing the Amsoil's anti-drain back valve leaking after a few minutes/hours of just sitting there? i like to think he had a defective filter and they are not all like that...

quote:

Originally posted by wrangler:
Didn't someone post some pictures showing the Amsoil's anti-drain back valve leaking after a few minutes/hours of just sitting there? i like to think he had a defective filter and they are not all like that...

Problem with drawing any type of conclusion from that little study is that is was a sample size of one.

I've tried at least a half a dozen different brands of filters on a engine that has an upward facing mount. My conclusion after about 25 filters? Most brands will have some that leak...even the expensive ones.

There was an extensive test on the Mobil 1 filter on a jeep discussion fourm. The Mobil 1 performed better than the Pureone Wix and Fram in reducing the amount on ware metals. My guess is it is the better filter but the question in my mind, is it worth the price. My guess there is no.

Would you rather mail order an oil filter that will be no improvement in how long your engine will last and that won't filter any better, or do you want to be able to buy it at Autozone? That is what it comes down to, period. If your already using Amsoil OIL, then I'd go with Amsoils filters to complete the order, otherwise your wasting your time.

The Amsoil SDF filters score better in the SAE806 tests than any other filter so I would think they do a better job of filtering the oil. Maybe your saying the filters at Autozones do a good enough job?

Also if your doing extended oil changes, then the Amsoil SDF is the only filter that can go 12.5K miles.

In addition I think the Amsoil warranty against engine damage is only valid if you use Amsoil oil & filters (but that is a reasonable requirement).

I'm actually using amsoil oil and a mobil 1 filter right now in my car. Is it important to match the filter with the oil?

You don't have to use an amsoil filter with amsoil oil. Amsoil backs their filter to go 12.5k, but that doesn't mean that other filters can't do it. Amsoil is in the market for extended drains, so having a 12.5k filter is a good thing for them. IMO, the filter may be able to go farther, but amsoil wants it changed so that the top-up oil will refresh the additive package in the oil.

I doubt the reason Amsoil wants the oil filter changed at 12.5K is to top off the oil and additives. Percentage wise the top off is maybe 10-20%. I think the filter fills up and the media may begin to deteriorate if used for too long a time.

The amsoil filters are little more than repackaged Baldwin HPG filters. Since those filters are designed to be used on OTR semi trucks doing extended drains on a soot producing diesel...........I really don't think they would have much trouble going 12.5k on a well-kept gas engine. IMO amsoil is an excellent oil, but the 25k thing is a stretch in most engines. In fact.....I think very few engines could do it without any top up oil at all.

I'd choose a Mobil 1 filter over an Amsoil. I've cut open both that fit my Jeep, and the mechanical design and construction of the Mobil 1 is obviously superior to the Amsoil. The cheap looking black ADBV in the Amsoil was clearly misaligned and appeared as if it could leak. And the bypass valve holes (slots) are extremely small. I couldn't tell by looking which had the best filter media, but the Amsoil media didn't appear particularly noteworthy.

I guess Amsoil justifies their high price by claiming longer life and improved efficiency over all other filters. If true, it might represent a good value for those going 12.5K miles between oil filter changes. But for someone who usually goes less than 5K between oil changes, it struck me as one of the most overpriced Jeep filters I cut open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back