Am I right? or am I wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Again, I am not even sure what you are arguing about here. In your last sentence, you finally seem to have given up on the claim than VW 502 00 actually provides more wear protection than VW 504 00.

The claim that when new specs replace old specs, the wear protection is sacrificed for emissions durability makes little sense. For example API CJ-4 is explicitly for emissions protection (call it mid-SAPS if you like) but yet it offers more wear protection than API CI-4 Plus. The goal of the oil industry and OEMs is to keep the wear protection at least the same while they improve the emissions protection.

First, I said that VW504.00/507.00 is not guarantee that they provide better lubrication. I said: VW 502.00 can provide better lubrication then VW 504.00/507.00 or vice versa (vice versa means that also certain VW504.00/507.00 could provide better lubrication then certain VW502.00, depending what oils we compare). However, this web site does not allow me to draw pictures, that might be easier to understand.
Also, how is that VW504.00/507.00 is not Porsche approved if offers better lubrication, but many VW502.00 oils are also Porsche A40 approved? Porsche A40 is probably most stringent requirement when it comes to lubrication, or protection of key components in engine such as: camshaft, crankshaft etc? There is no ONE VW504.00/507.00 oil that meets A40 requirement.
As I will say again, VW504.00/507.00 are developed primarily for emission protection. That does not mean that if you develop oil for better emission protection it will impact lubrication properties. VW504.00/507.00 could have SAME base stocks as VW505.01 or VW502.00 or BMW-LL04 or BMW-LL01. Many of these oil manufacturers get same base stock, but additive package is different or sulfated ash content is different.
What makes you think that M1 0W40 MB229.5 has different base stock then MB229.51 (Low-SAPS)? It is additive package that is different and probably both oils are of same lubrication quality.
The difference is that M1 0W40 ESP will protect emission system better, and because EU gas has lower sulphur content, it is more suitable for that market then for the US market where you get M1 0W40 Full SAPS oil.
The difference is that High-SAPS oils will do better when it comes to oxidation of oil in environment where gas has high sulphur content (U.S., Russia, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Canada, Brazil etc), which can lead to sludge etc. in the environment where there is low sulphur content (EU, japan), Low-SAPS oils could be used because lower TBN cannot be depleted that fast as in environment with high sulphur content in gas.
Also, what makes you think that todays VW502.00 or MB229.5 or BMW LL-01 oils do not lubricate better then 10yrs ago? Just because it is old spec, does not mean that lubrication quality is same like 10yrs ago.

I don't think we're disagreeing here much.

Don't all VW 504 00 oils also satisfy VW 502 00? So, that means any VW 504 00 oil is already automatically certified for the Porsche if Porsche is recommending VW 502 00.

Porsche is not recommending VW502.00. I said: same oil that meets VW502.00 usually meets A40.
Only Green GC once met A40 of W30 oils.
VW504.00/507.00 replaced VW502.00 ONLY on the EU market. Same as LL-04 replaced LL-01 ONLY on the EU market, and that is because EU market has unified EURO norms when it comes to gas quality and emission quality.
That means that in order for diesel engine to meet EURO V norms, it needs to have DPF filter. That also means that because of sensitivity of DPF filter, high sulfated ash in oil cannot be used, so car manufacturers require Low-SAPS oils to prevent damage on DPF.
But since EU gas is clean, you can use Low-SAPS and still have enough TBN for long drain intervals.
In the US situation is different. Due to higher sulphur content and lower ceten number of diesel fuel, VW for example cannot use long drain interval on 2.0TDI engine as they do in Europe. That is why they cut down OCI from 30,000km (EU) to 16,000km (10,000 miles in the U.S), because they still MUST use Low-SAPS oil because their cars come with DPF filter in the U.S. too. What EPA did is that they became more strict on emissions, but they did not lower sulphur content and other chemicals in diesel fuel enough in order to both meet emission standards and have long drain interval. Now, confusion here comes from requirements for gas engines. Let me elaborate:
The U.S. gas has much more sulphur then EU gas. The difference is even higher then when it comes to diesel engines. Reason why sulphur was lowered for diesel engines is because trucking unions pushed EPA to lower sulphur level in order that new trucks could properly work. Reason is that many engines in the U.S. trucks are coming from EU (Volvo, MACK-Renault, Mercedes) so EPA had to react on the new developments, and that also benefited diesel cars.
Gas is different. GM, Ford, Chrysler were behind the curve. It was in their favor to have high sulphur in a gas because direct injection was primarily coming from Europe. In EU they took care of sulphur in gas, so Euro gassers get Low-SAPS oils, less intake deposits and have stratified injections. But in the U.S. big three lobbied for more stringent NoX requirements which is the byproduct of direct injection. So we do not get stratified injection, and due to sulphur we have to use High-SAPS oil in gassers. However, since Ford, Gm and Chrysler (FIAT) are massively bringing technology from EU, probably we will see push for better gas quality in order to mitigate these issues. That is why you cannot use VW504.00/507.00 in direct injection gas engine more then 5K, because sulphur in gas would "kill" TBN.
So Vw504.00/507.00 or Vw502.00 could have same base stocks and lubrication quality, but additive package is different.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Also, how is that VW504.00/507.00 is not Porsche approved if offers better lubrication, but many VW502.00 oils are also Porsche A40 approved? Porsche A40 is probably most stringent requirement when it comes to lubrication, or protection of key components in engine such as: camshaft, crankshaft etc? There is no ONE VW504.00/507.00 oil that meets A40 requirement.

This is very simple. VW 504.00/507.00 oils must be in Xw-30 grade. On the other hand a Porsche A40 oil must be in Xw-40 or Xw-50 grade. Hence, you can't have one oil that meets both specs.

GC when it was green had A40 approval. And I know, 99.99% of oils that have A40 approval are W40. My point was quality of lubrication.
Many HC oils meet VW502.00 and A40 approvals, but that does not mean that because they are VW502.00 and Group III they have inferior lubrication compare to VW504.00/507.00.

Last edited:
GC when it was green had A40 approval.

Yes, that was before Porsche revised their requirements and removed Xw-30 oils from their list.

GC when it was green had A40 approval.

Yes, that was before Porsche revised their requirements and removed Xw-30 oils from their list.

Yeah I know. My point was different, as I edited in text.

Again, I am not even sure what you are arguing about here. In your last sentence, you finally seem to have given up on the claim than VW 502 00 actually provides more wear protection than VW 504 00.

The claim that when new specs replace old specs, the wear protection is sacrificed for emissions durability makes little sense. For example API CJ-4 is explicitly for emissions protection (call it mid-SAPS if you like) but yet it offers more wear protection than API CI-4 Plus. The goal of the oil industry and OEMs is to keep the wear protection at least the same while they improve the emissions protection.

First, I said that VW504.00/507.00 is not guarantee that they provide better lubrication. I said: VW 502.00 can provide better lubrication then VW 504.00/507.00 or vice versa (vice versa means that also certain VW504.00/507.00 could provide better lubrication then certain VW502.00, depending what oils we compare). However, this web site does not allow me to draw pictures, that might be easier to understand.
As I will say again, VW504.00/507.00 are developed primarily for emission protection. That does not mean that if you develop oil for better emission protection it will impact lubrication properties. VW504.00/507.00 could have SAME base stocks as VW505.01 or VW502.00 or BMW-LL04 or BMW-LL01. Many of these oil manufacturers get same base stock, but additive package is different or sulfated ash content is different.
What makes you think that M1 0W40 MB229.5 has different base stock then MB229.51 (Low-SAPS)? It is additive package that is different and probably both oils are of same lubrication quality.
The difference is that M1 0W40 ESP will protect emission system better, and because EU gas has lower sulphur content, it is more suitable for that market then for the US market where you get M1 0W40 Full SAPS oil.
The difference is that High-SAPS oils will do better when it comes to oxidation of oil in environment where gas has high sulphur content (U.S., Russia, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Canada, Brazil etc), which can lead to sludge etc. in the environment where there is low sulphur content (EU, japan), Low-SAPS oils could be used because lower TBN cannot be depleted that fast as in environment with high sulphur content in gas.
Also, what makes you think that todays VW502.00 or MB229.5 or BMW LL-01 oils do not lubricate better then 10yrs ago? Just because it is old spec, does not mean that lubrication quality is same like 10yrs ago.

I don't think we're disagreeing here much.

Don't all VW 504 00 oils also satisfy VW 502 00? So, that means any VW 504 00 oil is already automatically certified for the Porsche if Porsche is recommending VW 502 00.

Porsche is not recommending VW502.00. I said: same oil that meets VW502.00 usually meets A40.
Only Green GC once met A40 of W30 oils.
VW504.00/507.00 replaced VW502.00 ONLY on the EU market. Same as LL-04 replaced LL-01 ONLY on the EU market, and that is because EU market has unified EURO norms when it comes to gas quality and emission quality.
That means that in order for diesel engine to meet EURO V norms, it needs to have DPF filter. That also means that because of sensitivity of DPF filter, high sulfated ash in oil cannot be used, so car manufacturers require Low-SAPS oils to prevent damage on DPF.
But since EU gas is clean, you can use Low-SAPS and still have enough TBN for long drain intervals.
In the US situation is different. Due to higher sulphur content and lower ceten number of diesel fuel, VW for example cannot use long drain interval on 2.0TDI engine as they do in Europe. That is why they cut down OCI from 30,000km (EU) to 16,000km (10,000 miles in the U.S), because they still MUST use Low-SAPS oil because their cars come with DPF filter in the U.S. too. What EPA did is that they became more strict on emissions, but they did not lower sulphur content and other chemicals in diesel fuel enough in order to both meet emission standards and have long drain interval. Now, confusion here comes from requirements for gas engines. Let me elaborate:
The U.S. gas has much more sulphur then EU gas. The difference is even higher then when it comes to diesel engines. Reason why sulphur was lowered for diesel engines is because trucking unions pushed EPA to lower sulphur level in order that new trucks could properly work. Reason is that many engines in the U.S. trucks are coming from EU (Volvo, MACK-Renault, Mercedes) so EPA had to react on the new developments, and that also benefited diesel cars.
Gas is different. GM, Ford, Chrysler were behind the curve. It was in their favor to have high sulphur in a gas because direct injection was primarily coming from Europe. In EU they took care of sulphur in gas, so Euro gassers get Low-SAPS oils, less intake deposits and have stratified injections. But in the U.S. big three lobbied for more stringent NoX requirements which is the byproduct of direct injection. So we do not get stratified injection, and due to sulphur we have to use High-SAPS oil in gassers. However, since Ford, Gm and Chrysler (FIAT) are massively bringing technology from EU, probably we will see push for better gas quality in order to mitigate these issues. That is why you cannot use VW504.00/507.00 in direct injection gas engine more then 5K, because sulphur in gas would "kill" TBN.
So Vw504.00/507.00 or Vw502.00 could have same base stocks and lubrication quality, but additive package is different.

OK, again, we're comparing apples and oranges. It looks like A40 spec may be a high-initial-TBN spec like A3/B4. VW 502 00 does not require A3/B4 or high initial TBN. If an oil is specified for both A3/B4 and and VW 502 00, it's more of a coincidence than anything else. Or perhaps A40 specifies a very low NOACK. In that case too, it's more of a coincidence than anything else that there is a VW 502 00 oil with the A40 spec.

Quote:
OK, again, we're comparing apples and oranges. It looks like A40 spec may be a high-initial-TBN spec like A3/B4. VW 502 00 does not require A3/B4 or high initial TBN. If an oil is specified for both A3/B4 and and VW 502 00, it's more of a coincidence than anything else. Or perhaps A40 specifies a very low NOACK. In that case too, it's more of a coincidence than anything else that there is a VW 502 00 oil with the A40 spec.

As far as I know. VW 502.00 could be either High-SAPS or Mid-SAPS. A40 could also be High-SAPS and Mid-SAPS, but none are Low-SAPS. VW502.00 requirement is high detergency, and Motul links explain that very well where they specify what is VW502.00. Now it might happen that Porsche could change requirements, and add Low-SAPS oils too to their approval list. One thing is for sure, Low-SAPS are here to stay.
Also, did you ever see VW502.00 oil that does not meet ACEA A3/A4? I know I have not.

A40 involves putting oil in a Porsche engine, running a Porsche test, Porsche taking the engine apart and Porsche telling you if the oil is good enough

Don't kid yourself about it being about meeting a paper spec

Last edited:
Quote:

As far as I know. VW 502.00 could be either High-SAPS or Mid-SAPS. A40 could also be High-SAPS and Mid-SAPS, but none are Low-SAPS. VW502.00 requirement is high detergency, and Motul links explain that very well where they specify what is VW502.00. Now it might happen that Porsche could change requirements, and add Low-SAPS oils too to their approval list. One thing is for sure, Low-SAPS are here to stay.
Also, did you ever see VW502.00 oil that does not meet ACEA A3/A4? I know I have not.

VW specs have to be paired

502 / 505 is A3/B3. Recent updates specific 10tbn for 505

502 / 505 01 is C3.

Quote:

I think we have practically reached an agreement.

Detergency requirement, which is dictated by initial TBN or sulphated ash, is no different for VW 502 00 than for VW 504 00.

Take Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 for example. It's certified for both VW 502 00 and VW 504 00 but not for ACEA A3/B4. My point again: All VW 504 00 oils also satisfy all VW 502 00 requirements.

Quote:

Detergency requirement, which is dictated by initial TBN or sulphated ash, is no different for VW 502 00 than for VW 504 00.

Take Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 for example. It's certified for both VW 502 00 and VW 504 00 but not for ACEA A3/B4. My point again: All VW 504 00 oils also satisfy all VW 502 00 requirements.

YES, they meet, but not in the U.S. or Russia.
In the U.S. or Russia VW504.00/507.00 cannot replace VW502.00.
In layman terms: VW thinks that for the U.S. market, for gas engines, VW502.00 is of "higher" quality then VW504.00/507.00, because of specifics of the U.S market or Russian market. The reason why VW says it supersedes VW502.00 is low sulphur content in EU market, saying VW504.00/507.00 will have enough TBN to prevent oxidation of oil, but AT THE SAME TIME, preserve emission system, which VW502.00 are not capable of, but ONLY on the EU market. So basically, it could be same base stock, difference is impact on emission system.
That just proves, that VW504.00/507.00 does not have anything to do with quality of lubrication compare to VW502.00, but with sole purpose of preserving emission systems and less deposits on intake valves.
So from point of lubrication, again, some VW502.00 are better then some VW504.00/507.00 and vice versa.

Last edited:
Quote:

YES, they meet, but not in the U.S. or Russia.
In the U.S. or Russia VW504.00/507.00 cannot replace VW502.00.
In layman terms: VW thinks that for the U.S. market, for gas engines, VW502.00 is of "higher" quality then VW504.00/507.00, because of specifics of the U.S market or Russian market. The reason why VW says it supersedes VW502.00 is low sulphur content in EU market, saying VW504.00/507.00 will have enough TBN to prevent oxidation of oil, but AT THE SAME TIME, preserve emission system, which VW502.00 are not capable of, but ONLY on the EU market. So basically, it could be same base stock, difference is impact on emission system.
That just proves, that VW504.00/507.00 does not have anything to do with quality of lubrication compare to VW502.00, but with sole purpose of preserving emission systems and less deposits on intake valves.
So from point of lubrication, again, some VW502.00 are better then some VW504.00/507.00 and vice versa.

Here is the datasheet for Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 in US. It's clearly specified for both VW 502 00 and VW 504 00; so, there goes your theory.

I'll repeat one more time: There is nothing in the VW 502 00 spec that requires more SAPS than in the VW 504 00 spec.

Here is the datasheet for Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 in US. It's clearly specified for both VW 502 00 and VW 504 00; so, there goes your theory.

It's a wordsmithing thing, if you look carefully. XOM doesn't say that M1 ESP 5w-30 is officially VW 502.00 approved. It just says "According to ExxonMobil, Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 is of the following quality level."

Quote:

I'll repeat one more time: There is nothing in the VW 502 00 spec that requires more SAPS than in the VW 504 00 spec.

The "P" in SAPS stands for 'phosphorus'. VW 502.00 requires that phosphorus be 0.08% minimum. VW 504.00 does not have such requirement, which means it can have less phosphorus. So, in a way, VW 502.00 does require more SAPS.

In reply to Gokhan (having issues with quoting)

Yes there is, the DPF test requires lower SAPS. This is very much part of the specification !

Also can we start talking about VW specs correctly, they don't exist alone and should be paired. 502 is different depending on what it is paired with, 505 or 505 01. Also you cannot claim 502/505 01 and 504/507 on one oil.

504/507 supersedes 502/505 except in markets that deem 502/505necessary, unfortunately it's not that clear due to the global fuel mix but VW are working on resolving this. 504/507 is very much a diesel specification for cars with DPFs and gasoline cars with FSI engines (except in places like china and Russia where 592 is recommended)

It's a wordsmithing thing, if you look carefully. XOM doesn't say that M1 ESP 5w-30 is officially VW 502.00 approved. It just says "According to ExxonMobil, Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 is of the following quality level."

Quote:

The "P" in SAPS stands for 'phosphorus'. VW 502.00 requires that phosphorus be 0.08% minimum. VW 504.00 does not have such requirement, which means it can have less phosphorus. So, in a way, VW 502.00 does require more SAPS.

When the oil categories start becoming outdated, that terminology is commonly used in datasheets. VW 502 00 is slowly becoming outdated and replaced by 504 00. You can also see some really outdated categories next to it.

Good point about the phosphorus. However note that the ILSAC GF-5 limit on it is 600 ppm min and 800 ppm max. So, no respectable oil would have less than about 700 ppm phosphorus, at least if it wants to satisfy ILSAC. So, it's more of a moot issue in this case.

Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
In reply to Gokhan (having issues with quoting)

Yes there is, the DPF test requires lower SAPS. This is very much part of the specification !

Also can we start talking about VW specs correctly, they don't exist alone and should be paired. 502 is different depending on what it is paired with, 505 or 505 01. Also you cannot claim 502/505 01 and 504/507 on one oil.

504/507 supersedes 502/505 except in markets that deem 502/505necessary, unfortunately it's not that clear due to the global fuel mix but VW are working on resolving this. 504/507 is very much a diesel specification for cars with DPFs and gasoline cars with FSI engines (except in places like china and Russia where 592 is recommended)

Yes, agreed, however, my argument isn't really that VW 504 00 requires low SAPS but it's that VW 502 00 doesn't require high SAPS.

On the contrary, ACEA A3/B3 and A3/B4 do require high SAPS but then VW 502 00 doesn't require ACEA A3/B3 or A3/B4. There are ACEA A3/B3 or A3/B4 oils out there that are also VW 502 00 but satisfying these extended-drain (high-SAPS, high initial TBN) ACEA categories isn't required for VW 502 00.

Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
No oil will have GF5 and 504/507 so that's a moot issue.

502 is certainly not becoming outdated either.

Again, I said a respectable oil. Would you trust any oil with less than 600 ppm P of ZDDP in it to provide adequate wear protection?

In a few years, don't be surprised when VW starts requiring VW 504 00 for all their new gasoline engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back