While researching oil filters i found this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use Mahle, Hengst, Bosch regularly but have used JapanParts and BluePrint a few times.

Been many years since I used a Champion.

All look decent quality to me, but my knowledge is limited hence why i stick to names I know to have a good reputation

I find it interesting that only 1 or 2 (brands) have wavy pleats...Wavy pleats turn me off a filter...The overall quality of most of them looks very good...

Nice, somebody put some serious time, effort and money into that effort! That Ecofix looks somewhat like an ecore.

Nice find, thanks for posting.

The filtration media in the OEM Toyota filter was quite different. I have never seen a filter like that before.

Also, did you notice in the other Toyota filter, that the ends of the pleats were not sealed? Am I missing something here, or wouldn't that be a major bypass point for unfiltered oil?

I picked up 3 of the OEM Toyota filters. Going to run one next and see how she looks after.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
Also, did you notice in the other Toyota filter, that the ends of the pleats were not sealed? Am I missing something here, or wouldn't that be a major bypass point for unfiltered oil?

I've dissected a few Toyota filters like the one you're talking about. The ends of the pleats are sealed with glue, it just looks like they aren't in the photo. And yes, if they were not sealed it would allow dirty oil to bypass the media.

I like how the BIG filter, the one with Cyrillic all over the box, is made in Glen Rock, NJ.
34.gif

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
I like how the BIG filter, the one with Cyrillic all over the box, is made in Glen Rock, NJ.
34.gif

No, it' not. BIG is a joint Israeli-Russian company. Many of these small companies try to make a big deal out of the fact that they use some American (Japanese, German) technology.

Although, some of the presented filters look decent, the design of the OEM filters is cleaner and nicer.

Originally Posted By: Prelude
BIG is a joint Israeli-Russian company. Many of these small companies try to make a big deal out of the fact that they use some American (Japanese, German) technology.

Big Filter

The company appears to be based in St. Petersburg. The NJ address is a limited liability entity formed in 2009 that is basically a mailing address.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
I believe you, but why would a joint Israeli-Russian company need a mailing address in NJ?

If I was to speculate, it is probably due to the Russian Postal Service system.

I deal with a few Russian customers and their postal service is atrocious in terms of corruption. Any parcel or mail piece larger than a standard #10 envelope coming through Russia, runs the high risk of their customs holding it for ransom or bribes to be released if it is not open or stolen outright before delivery in Russia or coming out of Russia.

From a international business perspective, it is probably easier to have mail service or small satellite office handling mail in the USA for them, than to have to deal with the inept Russian postal service.

^^^ That's what the US Post Office is going to turn into someday so they can start operating in the black.
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
^^^ That's what the US Post Office is going to turn into someday so they can start operating in the black.
eek.gif

USPS runs like a Swiss watch compared to Russia and some other countries. in 30+ year, I can count on one hand with a digit or two left over how many times the USPS was at fault for a missing or damaged package. With Russia, it is literally a 50/50 chance it will or will not run into issues with customs, theft or bribes needed.

I've had the USPS deliver mail to the wrong house many times - while living in two different houses. Guess they don't realize that there can be 10 different streets with the same exact house number.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back