Honda spark plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was at the Honda dealership on saturday getting some parts for my CRV, 100000 mile tune up. Some things are Honda only so I had no choice but to go there. Thought since I was there, might as well get the spark plugs. I know they'd be a little more....but the plugs were 28 bucks apiece...YEE-OUCH. But, getting 100K miles of trouble free maintenance is pretty good insurance as well. However, got to looking around the internet today and saw that these plugs go anywhere from 17 to 25 dollars apiece. Now my question, is there something special about these plugs that come from the dealership? I mean, you match up part numbers and you get this wide swing of prices. I don't get it. Would the plugs that were way cheaper somehow different? Honda uses NGK laser iridium plugs on that specific model. Why the spread? Debating on taking them back and saving some coin, but the one place I found these plugs on line said they were Honda OE and those were 25 apiece. The other sites had the correct part number and all, but no mention of them being Honda OE. I know Honda engines are VERY SPECIFIC when it comes to plugs. Should I just take the bullet and shut up or can I get the exact same thing for like 50 bucks cheaper??

Iridium plugs aren't cheap, but $28 a piece is a bit high. You can probably get the same plug elsewhere for quite a bit less. Maybe in the $15 range.

Buy aftermarket, Honda doesn't make their own plugs they are probably NGK.

Mercedes does this, they put their fancy box on Bosch plugs and triple the price!

Take them back! Absolute rip off. You can get the same Iridium NGK's(or Denso) at Advance for around $10 each.

Honda uses Denso coils and they aren't the same as the Denso coils in the aftermarket. I replaced the coils at 150,000 miles in my CRV with Denso "first time fit" aftermarket coils. They produce less spark. The corona around the plugs is less; also after five thousand miles I pulled the plugs and can see that they aren't as white as the old plugs.

Honda on some apps uses Gates hoses from the factory. The aftermarket Gates replacement hoses are slightly thinner and weigh less than the factory Honda Gates hoses. At least that's what I remember from a few years back.

Spark plugs may be a whole different matter. I can't remember if my factory Denso spark plugs looked exactly like the aftermarket Denso spark plugs I replaced them with. I do remember that the vehicle ran the same with the old as with the new plugs.

You will find the direct replacement NGK LASER IRIDIUM under your application at oreillys, much better price

Honda specs a denso or ngk 100,000 mile iridium or double platinum plug

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
can I get the exact same thing for like 50 bucks cheaper??

You can get the exact same thing anywhere. You just need the plug number.

Raise the hood and find the emissions sticker. The specified plug maker and number will be on that sticker.
You may find both Denso and NGK numbers listed. NGK may be easier to find.

Now call a couple of jobbers in your area and get prices on that make and number.

Thanks.....popping the hood is a good idea and double checking. What is irking me is akin to what kool1 is saying....even though it's the same part number, some times they are still "different." I just know when it comes to plugs, Honda's are really finicky. I looked at some OEM honda sites, and they got plugs, but for some reason, the ones they have aren't for 2010 CRV.....I'm guess emission related.

Thanks.....popping the hood is a good idea and double checking.

The emissions sticker IS the final word on the correct plugs for your car. The sticker is on the underside of the hood. The sticker even takes precedence over the Owner's Manual, since it's illegal for an automaker to put incorrect information on the emissions sticker.

Occasionally the sticker's listed plug will be superseded by a later model, but the jobber will have that information on file and will be able to get you the correct plugs.

What is irking me is akin to what kool1 is saying....even though it's the same part number, some times they are still "different."

Very unlikely. If the number is correct, the plug is correct.

Hondas aren't that picky with plugs at all, not sure where you got that from. Just use an NGK or Denso and it'll be just fine.
smile.gif

kool1- how in the heck did you verify and compare the "corona" and arc of the given coils accurately???? not buying it...

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
Hondas aren't that picky with plugs at all, not sure where you got that from. Just use an NGK or Denso and it'll be just fine.
smile.gif

kool1- how in the heck did you verify and compare the "corona" and arc of the given coils accurately???? not buying it...

There are people that say you can only use Brand X plugs in a Ford, but avoid Brand X and use brand Y in a Chrysler. Of course, you can't put brand Z plugs in a GM product ... even though the coils are made by brand Z!!!!

A copper plug is a copper plug is a copper plug. A platinum plug is a platinum plug is a platinum plug. An iridium plug is an iridium plug is an iridium plug.

I put NGK Platinum plugs in my Cherokee (specified for copper) and Autolite platinum in my Focus (specified for iridium). Sometimes cost / availability play roles in which plugs we buy.

Both vehicles run excellent.

From other forums, you don't want to use the same spec'ed Bosch plugs in the CRV.

I have maintained several Honda/Acura vehicles, some with over 230K miles on them. Advance and possibly Autozone don't even carry the correct iridium OEM spark plugs for late model Honda vehicles.

As you found out, the Honda dealership is an absolute ripoff. I have been buying them online for about $10/per plug.

I usually check eBay, Amazon.com, and rockauto.com and compare prices.

If I don't know the correct spark plug number to buy and am having a hard time finding the correct part number, I will take 5 minutes and pull one plug out of the engine to get the correct part number.

You can't go wrong with the OEM plug in Honda/Acura vehicles, and they do really last 100K miles before needing changed. Do not run some cheap aftermarket plug.

From other forums, you don't want to use the same spec'ed Bosch plugs in the CRV.

People say that about Fords all the time. Which is funny, because the coils are made by Bosch ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back