ADBV issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed my oil on my 2002 Civic yesterday, 5000 mile interval. When i pulled the filter off, their was no oil in the filter. Obviously the ADBV wasnt working properly. The filter was a Purolator PureONE.

Today i checked my oil and its reading half a quart high (overfilled). Originally i had put the exact 3.4qt that the manual specs for this car. Do you think the ADBV is not working on the new filter (Fram ToughGuard), and is causing it to appear overfilled?

If so, these are two high quality filters with failing ADBV, im starting to think it is a mechanical problem. I would also like to add, that the oil filter sits horizontal at a 90* angle.

Often IF you fill The full amaount of oil the manual specs it will overfill due to the maybe half litre oil oil that will always be back in the engine.

Originaly when I started using P1 filters in my 2004 Altima(#14610), they did give me startup rattle as the ADBV was clearly not working. I still use/like the P1's
smile.gif

Since then I have been using mostly Classic's with better success(less to no startup rattle) but, have as newer stash of P1's as well. These P1 no longer give me that dreaded startup rattle but, I don't think that the silicone ADBV is superior with the P1's as this seem to be an ongoing issue.

I do infact think that the silicone ADBV is better than the rubber ADBV but, it's clearly not working properly in certain applications of the P1. I don't have issues with other P1 apps in my other vehicles.

And this/these Altima(s) are known for startup rattle as the filter is mounted horizontaly on the passenger side of the vehicle. Should the vehicle be parked at a slight angle dipping lower on the passenger side(where the oil can drainback), startup rattle is certainly going to happen and has happend with any filter that I have tried over the last 10 years in this car. Especially when the vehicle has sat for more than 4-8 hours...or longer!

Last edited:
I have good luck with the wix in my sig. 57356 (NOT 51356) This a near universal Honda filter. It has a good working Si rubber adbv and there is always oil above in the feed drill and a lot in the filter when I do an OC.
On a horizontal mount, some oil I guess might get pulled out with thin oil and a hot shutoff - but you would think not much with 0.0005" Dia. main bearing clearance and 0.0008"D rod bigs. Where are the other leakdown points?

Last edited:
Yep im done with thin oil.

Civic is gonna get Mobil Super 5w-30 in winter, and 10w-40 in the summer.
Accord is getting Mobil 1 0w-40 all year.

Hello,
I am a tech guy at FRAM. I am sure your vehicle is overfull from not getting a complete drain. A bad adbv would not cause the oil level to be over full. If it prevented oil from flowing through the filter by not opening, it would soon kill the engine from oil starvation. If it fails to close and seal properly, it would leak down overnight and cause start up rattle. Those answering that say a silicone valve seals better than rubber are correct, it is more pliable and stays that way almost forever. That is why it is found in higher priced, longer life filters.

Originally Posted By: Motorking
Hello,
If it prevented oil from flowing through the filter by not opening, it would soon kill the engine from oil starvation. If it fails to close and seal properly, it would leak down overnight and cause start up rattle.

I think that is what the OP is saying though. He is getting start up rattle after the vehicle sits, so that sounds like it is failing to close and seal properly. Failing to seal properly would allow the oil to drain back into the sump.

OP:

I have a Jeep 4.0 which also has the filter mounted horizontally. This horizontal mounting seems to mess with the way ADBVs work in certain filters. I can't use PureOnes on my Jeep because they cause the rattle. I have had better luck with Classics as well. It seems like maybe the silicone valve is almost too pliable and allows oil to slip past it when mounted horizontally. Filters with silicone valves work better in the other cars I service that have the filter mounted vertically, but nitrile valves work best on my Jeep for some reason.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: Motorking
Hello,
If it prevented oil from flowing through the filter by not opening, it would soon kill the engine from oil starvation. If it fails to close and seal properly, it would leak down overnight and cause start up rattle.

I think that is what the OP is saying though. He is getting start up rattle after the vehicle sits, so that sounds like it is failing to close and seal properly. Failing to seal properly would allow the oil to drain back into the sump.

OP:

I have a Jeep 4.0 which also has the filter mounted horizontally. This horizontal mounting seems to mess with the way ADBVs work in certain filters. I can't use PureOnes on my Jeep because they cause the rattle. I have had better luck with Classics as well. It seems like maybe the silicone valve is almost too pliable and allows oil to slip past it when mounted horizontally. Filters with silicone valves work better in the other cars I service that have the filter mounted vertically, but nitrile valves work best on my Jeep for some reason.
21.gif

maybe ill give the OEM filters a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back