Change your drain plug washer!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Jiffy Lube did not get the memo.

This washer must have been in use for at least 80k miles.

The washer was completely flat and "welded" to the head of the drain plug. I had to put the drain plug into a vice and slowly pry off the washer.

New vs old.
shocked.gif

those type of crush washers dont really crush much.
looks like they put it on with an impact wrench.

Originally Posted By: Rand

Who knows. I had to pound on my 13" snap on ratchet for a while before the plug broke loose.

I should say that it did not look like this -- the horrible disfigurement was the result of me prying off the washer. But it was flattened completely and was just "welded" to the head of the bolt.

Last edited:
Yup pretty bad. We have had customers scream and yell because we had the audacity to change the washer on their drain plug and the charge is on the RO. BTW they do have part numbers and dealers are charged for them.

When I had my Volvo R car I changed the washer every change and the drain plug usually every 3rd change. The '14 got a new plug on the first oil change because I didn't like how the factory one looked when it came off. I also always always always use a torque wrench on my drain plugs and have never had an issue with one when I removed one I installed.

most of these idiots including mechanics use the impact to the point of no entry.

did my pads and rotors today. the bolt must have been tightned to 70+ F*lb. Had to use deep impact socket and a heavy duty 1/2 inch to get it off, thats after 20 minutes of penetrating oil.

its really a shame how most of these people manage to screw up the basics.

I really doubt that an oil pan would survive an impact gun, let alone repeated sessions.

This was probably just a combination of over tightening and the lack of respect for the factory specified service procedure -- which is a new crush washer at each oil change.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Washer? Just throw that sucker out and use the plug.

Looks like a Honda plug and gasket. Without that gasket the driveway/garage will have oil spots all over it.

Originally Posted By: Rand

After many uses, they do this. They do crush, just a little each time. After awhile they are mushroomed out around the head of the plug.
When I worked at TLE I just replaced plugs like this. They were free, so why not?

Originally Posted By: Voltmaster
did my pads and rotors today. the bolt must have been tightned to 70+ F*lb. Had to use deep impact socket and a heavy duty 1/2 inch to get it off, thats after 20 minutes of penetrating oil.

Uh...70 ft-lb for brake caliper mounting bolts is on the money (that is the spec for my GP, which I did pads and rotors for on Saturday...and the caliper brackes bolts is 133 ft-lbs). A 17" breaker bar, shallow socket, and a little muscle was all mine needed to break loose. Those bolts are subject to a lot of force and vibration, so they need to be on a lot tighter than an oil drain plug.

Bought a couple drain plugs from NAPA with a integral rubber seal for the Hyundai's. I got tired of the oem washers.
plug_zps16ff4a52.jpg

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Also these are mangled pics, so some of the damage was done by you removing it right? Should have taken a pic of it stuck to the drain plug.
Obviously! I was going to say the same thing.

Originally Posted By: Voltmaster
most of these idiots including mechanics use the impact to the point of no entry.

You mean the bolts holding the caliper bracket to the knuckle? Some of them are very tight, on my GP for example they are 135 ft-lb.
To make matters worse they put use a small bolt head on the large 14mm bolt. Using an impact to remove them is the easiest way to get them out.

The crush washer on my Audi is integrated into the plug itself. It seems a shame to replace it every few OCs. So I finally ponied up and got a Fumoto. Going on in the next OC.

I agree that isn't a crush washer.

It is just a plain old washer

A crush washer has a seem on one side in my experience and they deform easily.

The washer above is like the ones I have come across many times, I just rotate them and out them back on unless there is deformation.

Never had a leak so far.

If it wasn't leaking I would have left it

But nothing wrong with changing it as the OP has done, no wrong or right way IMHO

I change the flat washer on my Toyotas every OCI. They do deform into the oil drain hole just slightly and seal fine. I just use a 14mm box wrench and snug them in. Never a problem. I have a plastic bag full of them that I buy on the web from the lowest cost offer. I figure it is just part of the OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back