Is Havoline HM a blend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't say with certainty but I'm under the suspicion that all HMs are blends. Then again, our conventionals are blends too.

Originally Posted By: RamFan
Can't say with certainty but I'm under the suspicion that all HMs are blends. Then again, our conventionals are blends too.

I'd say you're probably right. Maxlife has always been a blend, but only recently began advertising it on the label. QS Defy says it in small print down in the corner of the label. Mobil Super HM doesn't mention it on the front of the bottle, only on the back.

I think I agree as above that many oils not labeled as SYN blend many probably are. after seeing the sopus 5w20 numbers from pqia site there must be better than typical dino base stock. jmo, definitely more to learn then know

Originally Posted By: RamFan

Here the Mobil brand high mileage version is a conventional. We don't get the synthetic version or if we do I've never seen it.
Even the imperial oil distributor doesn't show a Mobil high mileage syn or blend,just conventional.

Castrol's high mileage variant is conventional here to however defy and max life are blends.
As far as sopus is concerned according to the data we have been seeing lately even their conventional oils are getting something special whether its an overstock of gtl or whatever is going on.
The 5w-20 PYB and qsgb have got a surprisingly low noack which almost leads one to believe there is something more than just conventional group 2 in there.

I personally like Havoline HM

Havoline makes a Syn-blend, so at least there could be an easy base to pull from... but they might be doing what other seem to do... mix from anywhere with anything if the price is right.

I only see Castrol HM in a syn-blend formula in my area.

what I was saying is that I think what the oils are labeled as by one company or another might be more concerned witg marketing rather that exact description.

95% of consumers don't know or much care about it, so companies may think stating an oil is a blend might turn off people just looking for conventional. but still having a higher quality product at the price desired will give better results n leads to more sales.

so there is no mobil 1 high mileage in canada?

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Even the imperial oil distributor doesn't show a Mobil high mileage syn or blend,just conventional.

The bottles, at least at one time, mentioned it was a blend. I haven't looked at a Mobil Super 2000 bottle closely for a very long time, though, probably SL or SM days.

I usually shop at 2 WM's. One is local (16 miles away) and the other is near one of my doctors office (52 miles away).
Every time I visit either oil section at these WM's the 5W30 VML is always cleaned out. There is plenty of other weights in the VML though.
I am guessing 5W30 is more popular than ever. Opinions?

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
I usually shop at 2 WM's. One is local (16 miles away) and the other is near one of my doctors office (52 miles away).
Every time I visit either oil section at these WM's the 5W30 VML is always cleaned out. There is plenty of other weights in the VML though.

Yes, same here, as the 5W-30 Max Life 5 qt. jugs are almost always wiped out.
But then so are all of the M1 0W-40 5 qt. jugs, more often than not.
I have NOT seen the 0W-40 M1 quart bottles in a LONG time on ANY Sino Mart shelves, did they drop it?? (There is not even a place/tag for it on the shelf any more at ANY of my local stores.)
frown.gif

If it was just one WM, I would be worried that the manager and/or techs were only grabbing the 5w30 VML if and when a customer asked for HM oil... but two... that worries me.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc

If it was just one WM, I would be worried that the manager and/or techs were only grabbing the 5w30 VML if and when a customer asked for HM oil... but two... that worries me.

It would seem this way if it were one WM, but 2, that are 40 miles apart from one another? Like I stated before, 5W30 VML must be more popular than ever. Why is 5W20 VML not selling as well or better than 5W30 VML?
confused2.gif
21.gif

Yes, I've seen the VML 5W-30 wiped out at a couple of Walmarts around here too. But there are so many Walmarts here in N. Va.! People run 5W-30 in everything, even Fords.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Yes, I've seen the VML 5W-30 wiped out at a couple of Walmarts around here too. But there are so many Walmarts here in N. Va.! People run 5W-30 in everything, even Fords.

I own and drive the BEST truck EVER made, an F150, but have Chevy Orange running through my veins!
thumbsup2.gif

You would think 5W20 VML would be more popular. Just saying........

Might be people buying 5w30 out of habit or someone is doing oil changes on the side and clearing out WM

I worked it out that there were about 5 WM around a 5-10 mile radius when I lived in FXBG, but none in DC when I lived in the district. As what and why people buy what they buy, sometimes it is the blind leading the blind.

Next: Consider that the average vehicle in the US is about 9-11 years old and the 20w stuff is more of a recent trend. Might not be enough HM-ers yet for folks to be going crazy for the 5w20 HM yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back