Polaris 330 Trail boss starter issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2004 Polaris 330 Trail Boss electric start. It hasn't been running for years. I got it all put back together and went to start it and the starter stuck on, even after it was trying to run. I replaced the key ignition and solenoid, thinking its one of the two. I tried starting it today and it did it again. You cant unhook the battery quick either so I am probably going to ruin the starter. Nothing will stop the starter, turning the key off, the kill switch, only thing is unhooking the battery and then its fine when you hook it back up. It doesn't do it all the time, only sometimes. Its driving me crazy. My next guess would be a bad starter, its a new starter. Its getting contact and staying contacted on the brushes. Any ideas? Google search found nothing so this must be a isolated problem. Nothing is as frustrating as Polaris.

Does it have a relay like a lawnmower? If that sticks, it will crank like you are experiencing. I have seen that happen on 24v tractors, it was a burnt solenoid.

I sure would suspect a faulty starter relay. If your ATV has an electric start it must certainly have a relay in the starter circuit. Relays are an electromagnetic switch. They use a low current electrical circuit to close a high current electrical circuit. In case with a starter circuit, when you turn your ignition key, the low current circuit supplies the relay with power. Using power from the low current circuit, the electromagnetic switch inside the relay closes the high current circuit, cranking your starter motor. If for some reason the relay switch is sticking closed the battery will continue to supply the solenoid and starter with power, even after you have stopped at the ignition switch. On a side note, "hot wiring" old school ignition systems was done by cutting/connecting ignition system wires, bypassing the key switch. You could crank the starter by cutting and touching the low current starter relay circuit wires together.

I replaced the starter and the relay at the same time, I didn't know if it was doing it before. Since it started doing it, I replaced the ignition switch. It starts like a car with the turn of the key. I thought it was staying in the locked turn position. I am going to check that connection to the key as well. It has a brand new relay as well as brand new starter. I will change the relay out, maybe its bad. I am going to put a quick disconnect in the battery wiring this time, in case. It cant be healthy on the starter and there is no quick way to get to the battery terminal off. Ill try a new relay, if that doesn't work, it must be the starter staying locked in. That replacement is a much larger task. Polaris is terrible to work on. You have to disassemble half the quad for simple maintenance.

Last edited:
Polaris will run without a battery, but they blow out every light. I need to find the problem. You cant hook the batteries up loosely. By the time I find it, Ill probably need a new starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back