Hydraulic oil or HyTran for gun lube?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, let me first start by prefacing this with:

I understand that dedicated firearms specific lubes are preferred for a reason and I know alternative lubes have been discussed at length.

That being said, I ask mainly for the sake of academics. After reading the motor oil threads and the ATF threads, I began to wonder about a hyd. or HyTran type oil. I know that it's generally accepted that ATF makes a fine gun lube and that it and hydraulic oil are similar types of oils, which brings me to ask- would it make an acceptable lube? Maybe even preferable to ATF becasue of the lack of dye (no staining)? What about it would make it suitable or unsuitable for firearms use?

For one I never saw an ATF stain gun metal or anything else since the dye level is about 50 ppm.

Most hydraulic oils are simply further additized Rust and Oxidation (R&O) inhibiting oils with friction modifiers for wet clutch applications, and AW components containing phosphorus and sulfur.

For purely gun lubricating oils, I prefer a lube with no mineral oils and an oil with no phos and sulfur compounds but one containing synthetic oils with no non-sulfur and phos AW components.

Last edited:
By staining, I actually meant clothing, since I have seen a few references to that. Shouldn't really be an issue though.

So how do they compare base oil and additive wise to the typical ATF?

My favorite gun oil (Aeroshell Fluid 18) is pretty close to hydraulic oil with some added calcium sulfonate for added EP and corrosion protection.

I have no idea what the normal additive package for hydraulic fluid is or how well that would translate for use in firearms. I suspect that a hydraulic fluid wouldn't be a creepy or have good EP protection as a good gun oil.

BSW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back