Why is Peak Global Lifetime so special?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, just to clarify:

Peak global lifetime, zerex asian, and GO-5 are all good non dexclone antifreezes, BUT only PGL is available as a concentrate? Doesnt NAPA have a asian coolant?

This is what's going into my brother's '99 Boxster, since he will NOT pay the $38.00+/gallon either the dealer, or Amazon gets for the factory stuff.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
This will be a confusing subject til the end of time!

It's true, coolant is always oddly a hot toppic.

Originally Posted By: RamFan
What makes Global Lifetime so special?

1 - It is available at Walmart.

2 - It is cheap.

3 - It does not contain 2EH like Dexcool. 2EH can create problems with certain plastic and elastomers.

Originally Posted By: SOHCman

It didn't used to be. You drained your radiator and removed the bottom hose to get some from the block, changed the thermostat and refilled with whatever antifreeze you found. You would do it yearly. If you were tight for cash, semiannually.

Oil was simple too, 10w-30 winter and 10w-40 summer changed at 3,000 miles MAX. ( I used to change it when the oil would feel thin / gritty when I checked it. Sometimes it was as little as 1.500 miles. Nowadays, since I take care of most of the family's cars, I have shelves of different antifreezes and oils. It's ridiculous really.

It can be because the are many choices and chemistry of each can be vague to unknown, and color is unreliable as an indicator. In addition to reading this board for awhile, there are two relatively current resource articles posted here which I've found very helpful.

http://www.motor.com/magazine/pdfs/082010_08.pdf

http://articles.sae.org/11284/

What makes PGL somewhat unique is it is and extended/long life OAT like DexCool and the universal Dexclones, but unlike those it does NOT contain 2eha which is a known plasticizer that may have an effect on non compatible gaskets. Also unlike the Asian oem P-HOAT's it is available as a concentrate, though may be a bit more difficult to find. It's a universal OAT minus 2eha.

So, just to clarify:

Peak global lifetime, zerex asian, and GO-5 are all good non dexclone antifreezes, BUT only PGL is available as a concentrate? Doesnt NAPA have a asian coolant?

Of those listed G-05 is the only one that contains silicates, though it is low silicate HOAT formula and is available as a concentrate. In addition the applications specing G-05, some members report successfully using it in Asian vehicle applications too.

Afaik, NAPA does not carry thier own branded Asian coolant. In addition to Zerex G-05, they carry ZAF premix, and some carry PGL full strength or can get it.

When my son got his then 102K mile 96 Corolla we flushed the coolant system and installed ST AMAM's coolant. With over 100K miles since then it has been flushed 2 more times and ST AMAM's has been added. And, with no problems.

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D
What makes Global Lifetime so special?

1 - It is available at Walmart.

I have NEVER, EVER seen this at ANY Sino Mart I've ever set foot in (and I've been in A LOT of 'em).
21.gif

It WAS available at Walmart a couple years ago. I have not seenit there in some time.
I saw the 50/50 at Kmart the last time I was there.

Last edited:
I've never seen PGL, either the 50/50 premix or the concentrate at Wally. As the link below confirms though, WW used to sell Peak Extended Life Coolant with a label that looked very similar to the PGL label. But Peak EL sold at WW was really most similar to or same as the Peak Long Life dexclone sold at many auto parts stores now.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1481856/1/PEAK_Global_lifetime_&_PEA

Seen PGL premix 50/50 sold at Walgreens and KMart, but not the concentrate. NAPA is the only place I've seen PGL full strength as stock or catalog/web listed item.

I tend to agree with you. But it seems as though most of the risk of using a coolant with a different package than factory .......

Very late to the discussion here. Risk level and ROI (return on investment) are two characteristics that result in different camps at BITOG.

I am in the low risk, low ROI concern camp when dealing with relatively newer vehicles. Some years ago I witnessed two very expensive diesel engine rebuilds due to the use of high silicate coolant. That left an impression on me (right or wrong).

I sleep better at night by simply reducing the risk level. Assuming a is vehicle valued at $18,000 to $30,000 dollars, spending and extra $20 to $30 dollars on coolant every 4 to 10 years doesn't bother me.

To each his own, as it should be.

I wouldn't use it, personally. But then I don't have an Asian vehicle, and its pretty close to most Asian OEM formulations. Where it sorely misses the mark is where a HOAT is called for, or an older vehicle where an IAT was the original fill.

No universal is truly universal, IMO. Prestone's "all makes" is OK for replacing 2EHA OATs like DexCool, but not HOATs or non-2EHA OATs.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I wouldn't use it, personally. But then I don't have an Asian vehicle, and its pretty close to most Asian OEM formulations. Where it sorely misses the mark is where a HOAT is called for, or an older vehicle where an IAT was the original fill.

No universal is truly universal, IMO. Prestone's "all makes" is OK for replacing 2EHA OATs like DexCool, but not HOATs or non-2EHA OATs.

I disagree. PGL is the one truly universal AMAM. That is why it is so well thought of here.

Originally Posted By: johnachak

It didn't used to be. You drained your radiator and removed the bottom hose to get some from the block, changed the thermostat and refilled with whatever antifreeze you found. You would do it yearly. If you were tight for cash, semiannually.

Oil was simple too, 10w-30 winter and 10w-40 summer changed at 3,000 miles MAX. ( I used to change it when the oil would feel thin / gritty when I checked it. Sometimes it was as little as 1.500 miles. Nowadays, since I take care of most of the family's cars, I have shelves of different antifreezes and oils. It's ridiculous really.

I agree 100% and I used to do my oil and AF changes on the same schedule or feel gauge (fingers).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back