2012 toyota corolla transmission plug question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to do a simple drain and fill on a 2012 Corolla, I thought that it would have a 14mm plug but it looks like a plug with a hole in it instead. Does anyone know what I need to take the plug off (i.e. hex wrench or what size?) Thanks.

The drain plug is probably a 10mm allen key like most other Toyota automatics.

How many miles do you have on the car? I know that WS isn't really lifetime like Toyota claims, but you probably shouldn't do it while you're under warranty.

If I remember correctly, the 3/8" ratchet fit without a socket. I did a complete flush and filter change at 10k with a Wix transmission filter kit. I replaced with OEM Toyota WS. About 8 quarts was needed if I remember correctly. Not a difficult task, smelly, but possible.

Originally Posted By: Corollaman
I want to do a simple drain and fill on a 2012 Corolla, I thought that it would have a 14mm plug but it looks like a plug with a hole in it instead. Does anyone know what I need to take the plug off (i.e. hex wrench or what size?) Thanks.

The drain plug is a 10 mm indented hex bolt requiring a hex socket.

See # 3022

The website above has inexpensive ($3.95) wrenches, as do most parts stores.

Thanks for the help, it is a 10mm hex, I found a 10mm hex mounted on a 3/8 socket that I will use for the job. I believe I can get around 3.5 quarts out with just a simple drain and fill, I think the system holds 6.9 quarts total but not positive. I was thinking of doing this every 20,000 miles or two years, I've never been a fan of lifetime fluids of any sort.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Corollaman
Thanks for the help, it is a 10mm hex, I found a 10mm hex mounted on a 3/8 socket that I will use for the job. I believe I can get around 3.5 quarts out with just a simple drain and fill, I think the system holds 6.9 quarts total but not positive. I was thinking of doing this every 20,000 miles or two years, I've never been a fan of lifetime fluids of any sort.

What fluid does your Corolla take?...WS???
Deffinately do a good maintenance schedule but, make sure you're not wasting ATF and your money every 20K miles...Just a thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back