2015 F-150 at Detroit Auto Show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is 30mpg reasonable? It's still pushing a barn door through the air. Would be great if true. But I can hear the complaints about how it still gets 16mpg.

I got bored today, and took a look at a local dealer at the F150. I think the lowest price was 40k, forget if extended cab or crew. I doubt the roi is there.

There had to be a breaking point, where these 1/2 ton trucks just couldn't get any fatter and heavier and bulkier and uglier.

I guess we've finally seen when we reached that point. Well, they're all still ugly... every single one of them.

Just as a reminder... here's what a 3/4 ton truck looked like 40 years ago.

1974_ford_f250_ranger_camper_special_460_engine_1_lgw.jpg

It is crazy, my Tundra sits so high that it looks more like what I'd think a 3/4 should look like. 3/4 did look like my Tundra, at least for the last couple decades. I wouldn't mind if mine sat at least three inches lower in the rear. I need a steps tool to climb into the bed.

I was never a fan of the Dodge big rig styling. But today the uber flat and huge nose isn't isn't much better.

In the article it says.."Ford is stepping out ahead of other truck makers with the
aluminum strategy."
Isn't the 2014 Silverado have an aluminum hood and so forth?

Originally Posted By: hisilver
In the article it says.."Ford is stepping out ahead of other truck makers with the
aluminum strategy."
Isn't the 2014 Silverado have an aluminum hood and so forth?

The ford already has a lot of exterior aluminum. I think they're talking under body and a lot of frame components.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

Now there is a real truck!
thumbsup2.gif
As for the 2015 f-150? It would be disgraceful to even call that hideous blob a truck. I think ford just won "Ugliest truck" award....way to go ford!

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
There had to be a breaking point, where these 1/2 ton trucks just couldn't get any fatter and heavier and bulkier and uglier.

I guess we've finally seen when we reached that point. Well, they're all still ugly... every single one of them.

Size wise you are spot on, but the New 1/2 tons will tow and stop circles around that. From a guy that tows a 32 foot travel trailer 3000 to 5000 miles a year. That is important to me. Looks are subjective. I just wish all the new trucks were lower.

Maybe if it wasn't a mega Tonka dump truck it would have an easier time passing 30 MPG.

I like the size of '92-'96 F-150s...they almost feel "midsize" compared to the current behemoths.

Saw that they were going to be using a lot of rivets on the new F-150s and less welding! Can you you say rattles? Galvanic corrosion? I would wait at least five years before I bought one of these to see what the teething problems are going to be (and there will be some!!) I can jsut see the effect of road salt in a space where on one side there is aluminum and the other steel.

It reads as "close to" 30 mpg.

Vehicles in general are getting too large and heavy. No difference here. Aluminum may be a step in the right direction. Lots of questions though related to body repairs, rust, paint adhesion, etc, I'd guess.

Not sure I understand why rivets are used. Instead of moving a tiny bit of electricity, now more pieces and fixtures are needed. Maybe because repair is easier? (Drill out the rivet)

Isn't there a long history of small step can type vehicles using aluminum bodies (like the old Grumman trucks)??

Ford had the concept F-150 Atlas at Farm Progress last fall, so I was compelled to look it over and they definitely do look like a goofy life size Tonka truck.

I really don't think 1/2 tons need to get any bigger than they are right now. However, it would be pretty sweet if Ford decided to drop a smaller version of the Powerstroke in the F-150.
grin.gif

Last edited:
I like it. It looks cool and kudos to Ford for continuing their innovative designs. Turbo V6's, aluminum bodies, pushing 30MPG - what more do you guys want?!?!

Regarding size, except for the Raptor, full size trucks have been 79-80 inches wide forever. No change there!

Truck makers are getting way to competitive and they're final products are getting ridiculous looking. One of the many reasons I still have my 2004. I would do the 2009-2014 Gen of F150's but I'm not buying a Tonka Look-A-Like

I've also heard plans of them going with a magnesium frame too. Whatever it is they gonna have to introduce a new platform already. It's already 10 years old and not just Ford that need model/platform overhauls.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
It reads as "close to" 30 mpg.

Vehicles in general are getting too large and heavy. No difference here. Aluminum may be a step in the right direction. Lots of questions though related to body repairs, rust, paint adhesion, etc, I'd guess.

Not sure I understand why rivets are used. Instead of moving a tiny bit of electricity, now more pieces and fixtures are needed. Maybe because repair is easier? (Drill out the rivet)

Isn't there a long history of small step can type vehicles using aluminum bodies (like the old Grumman trucks)??

Paint adhesion was an issue even with my generation (96+ F-150/97+ Expedition) with the aluminum hoods. It will be interesting to see if they've resolved it yet, because I know it was a problem for a LONG time.

Would never by the turbo V6, but the aluminum frame and body I like. I spec aluminum as much as possible on my commercial vehicles. I would welcome more, or even all aluminum on a production pickup. As long as you don't wreck it, it would last longer than steel and the vehicle would not turn into a rust bucket. Aluminum throughout, and stainless where you can't. Now if the OEM's would get off the turbo V motor kick and start offering blower setups. I like turbos on inlines, but prefer blowers on V motors. Just me.

As far as any paint adhesion problem on aluminum, give one of the heavy truck manufacturers a call. They seem to have figured this out a long, long time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back