Napa Pro Select failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed the oil on my Dad's 2003 Hyundai Elantra today. It has about 104,000 miles. I think the oil and filter had about 7,000 miles on it, but now that I've seen the inside of the filter, I'm going to see if I can pin the mileage down more precisely.

First, the money shot:

20140111_154052-001_zps013cdbcb.jpg

The ADBV was pretty stiff, and a little wavy. I don't think it was doing anything, since after sitting base down for 5 minutes, there wasn't a teaspoon of oil left in the filter. I realize that most of the oil will drain out through the filter element, but there's usually a fair amount left when I cut the filter open.

20140111_154120-001_zps50621713.jpg

Here's the base end bypass. The wavy material in the middle was pretty hard.

20140111_154154-001_zps59aa99fe.jpg

I'm not going to say that this turned me off of Pro Select filters - I wasn't a fan of them to start with. I will say that of the 10 or 15 filters I've cut open, this is the first one that had an obvious problem.

ProSelect is a misnomer.The only "pro" that would use them is the quicky lube/tire store low price oil change deal employee.I'm sure they probably buy them for $2.00 in bulk.

Ouch =/ The mechanic I used to use used pro selects, but my OCI was never higher than 3K so I doubt mine had any issues.

Originally Posted By: Stelth
I'm not going to say that this turned me off of Pro Select filters - I wasn't a fan of them to start with. I will say that of the 10 or 15 filters I've cut open, this is the first one that had an obvious problem.

The media area does look a bit on the skimpy side, which may (or not) have been a factor. Seen some comments here about the quality of the NPS media before, but having never used one myself, can't confirm. I will say this NPS uses the Napa Gold/Wix traditional metal spring thread end bypass, which imo is better than some NPS using a combo valve.

But stuff happens. First one out of the many you've cut open, not too bad. The NPS is basically Napa's lowest tier, perhaps equal to a jobber/quick lube filter. One thing about it, no worries about flow with this NPS.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
How long did it take to put on 7k?

Good question. Next time I see my Dad, I'll see if he has the last invoice, since I'm curious myself. This is the first oil change I've done for him in years, but I'll probably be doing them from here on out.

Wonder how long it's been in "media failure bypass mode"....time for a better quality filter.

Last edited:

Good question. Next time I see my Dad, I'll see if he has the last invoice, since I'm curious myself. This is the first oil change I've done for him in years, but I'll probably be doing them from here on out.

What is the filter sitting on when you took the photos ? Crab pot ?

Just curious

Funny you should post this, I just cut a Napa Silver today (a small upgrade from the Pro Select). I don't have pictures yet, mine had no media issues though and a LOT more pleats.

As always, thanks for cutting and posting!

Originally Posted By: Boczech

What is the filter sitting on when you took the photos ? Crab pot ?

Just curious

That's a prototype of a security cage I'm trying to make (and sell) for backflow preventers.

Quote:
What filter did you use for this oil change?

Pure One.

I still cringe when I think back to that NPS my local TK installed on my engine. My engine rattled so bad upon startup it sounded like a woodpecker on a street light!

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
I wonder if the bypass failed and blew out the media?

Certainly could be, although this one isn't using the combo valve that is so disparaged here. The one BOF had "woodpecker rattle" with didn't either, his was an FL-400s equivalent that uses a Motorcraft style thread end bypass even in the lower lines.

I definitely noted on the Silver I cut today the media seemed very "thin" for lack of a better word. I could certainly see it tearing if subjected to higher pressure than normal. Obviously having more media could help rectify that even if it was the same material, this one here looks pretty skimpy.

Quote:
I wonder if the bypass failed and blew out the media?

It's possible, as are a number of other possibilities or combination of things. But, personally I'd rather have a separate bypass controlled by a metal spring as in majority of bypasses, be it thread end or dome, than a piece of rubber responsible for two functions, bypass and adbv.

I think the question of how long this filter was in use (fci) 'could be' relevant. Imo, filters used primarily for highway miles, and/or put miles on over a relatively shorter time frame, are less prone to moisture/condensation effects on the media. Filters exposed to often short tripping would be more exposed to media moisture/condensation cycles, and have less chance to reduce those effects than highway miles fci's. Especially on low end cellulose media filters those effects may cause more issues over time.

That said, not an excuse for the result shown, just another possible explanation.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

That said, not an excuse for the result shown, just another possible explanation.

True, regardless of the reason this is inexcusable.

I saw my Dad today at church, and looked in his glove box, and found the invoice. Looks like about 6500 miles, and 15 months. So that filter was there for a long time. I still don't think it should have failed, but it also should have been changed sooner.

^^^^So, 6500 miles in 15 months, without knowing I'm thinking a majority of shorter trips and/or periods of non vehicle use. As mentioned imo, the media moisture/condensation cycles especially on lower tier filters like the NPS are tougher than highway miles over a shorter period. I agree it shouldn't have failed like it did, but perhaps part of an explanation.

Maybe if future oci/fci's are going to be that long, using a higher tier filter or as you say a shorter fci with the NPS would be preferable. My .02

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
I still cringe when I think back to that NPS my local TK installed on my engine. My engine rattled so bad upon startup it sounded like a woodpecker on a street light!

That's the typical Prius noise when the electric motor adjusts itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back