by lawman1909
11/20/14 05:55 PM
No More Oil Changes For Mowers?
by Silverado12
11/20/14 05:47 PM
Oil Company List
by 4Scott4
11/20/14 05:19 PM
13' Subaru WRX RT6 3,412mi (Elevated Silver)
by thescreensavers
11/20/14 04:37 PM
Clean Saturn that needs work
by mjoekingz28
11/20/14 04:34 PM
How populated are we?
by CourierDriver
11/20/14 04:32 PM
2015 Prius V gets new cow catcher
by 01rangerxl
11/20/14 04:06 PM
Newest Members
alosid, ALRUI, RestoGuy, Jeffro, Socalwrencher
51958 Registered Users
Who's Online
108 registered (147_Grain, 97f150, andyd, 901Memphis, 04SE, alosid, 7 invisible), 1620 Guests and 169 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
51958 Members
64 Forums
222396 Topics
3519648 Posts

Max Online: 2862 @ 07/07/14 03:10 PM
Donate to BITOG

Page 4 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#3245087 - 01/11/14 03:52 PM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: BISCUT]
Duffman77 Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: BISCUT

IMHO operating a cell and driving is most definitely a distraction but no where near what texting involves. That said these tasks are singled out and soooon enough nanny will strike again and you won't be able to eat and drive, put on make up (lets face it, lots of beauties out there need the makeup), heck lets take talk radio outa the car as well....makes my head think of the topic at hand not the road.

Depends where you are from. My Province was the last in Canada to bring in distracted driving legislation and because of that it is also the most comprehensive. Reading, applying makeup, eating (but not snacking) and the full list below, are out.

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/distracteddriving.htm

#3245093 - 01/11/14 03:58 PM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: dernp]
Vikas Offline

Loc: NorthEast
OP, no offence but when you punch in the plates, are you stopped on the side of the road or still driving?

#3245095 - 01/11/14 04:02 PM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: dernp]
Duffman77 Offline

On Thursday while I was riding in a coworkers car there was a police cruiser following a van for quite a while with his lights on in the inside lane of oncoming traffic. The van was not pulling over, when we passed the van the driver was on her phone, everyone in the car all laughed.

I cant speak to the element of kids in the car as I don't have any but for me there is a different level of distraction when talking on the phone vs talking to other adults in the car. The other adults (usually) know when they can have your attention and when they don't and shouldn't talk, people on the phone have no feel for that whatsoever.

#3245101 - 01/11/14 04:16 PM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: Vikas]
Duffman77 Offline

Originally Posted By: Vikas
OP, no offence but when you punch in the plates, are you stopped on the side of the road or still driving?

While I agree there is a high degree of hypocrisy, all emergency response elements seem to have a degree of entitlement in my area as well there is also a big difference that many here seem to miss. When police are punching in a plate while driving they are performing a protective service for the public, yes some of that is reduced by the increased risk they are creating. When Joe public texts or dials his phone there is no service to the public, just selfish behavior that puts others at risk. I am also sure the day you find yourself in front of a judge for calling 911 to report an emergency, discretion will also be applied in your favor.

#3245108 - 01/11/14 04:31 PM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: Stelth]
Wilhelm_D Offline

Loc: Tacoma, WA
Originally Posted By: Stelth
Now, as a patrol officer, it's your job to enforce the law, so this is not a direct criticism of you. Someone breaks the law, you are supposed to intervene.

Despite my personal intense hatred of distracted drivers, drunk drivers, and so on I have to agree with you here.

It burns me to get a lecture from an officer about "safety" when his or her job is to enforce laws as written, nothing more and nothing less. Let the legislatures make decisions on what the law should be and why.

I have my job, and he his, and let's just focus on doing them and cut the discussions.

#3245114 - 01/11/14 04:38 PM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: Wilhelm_D]
Spazdog Offline

Loc: Arlington
Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D

It burns me to get a lecture from an officer about "safety" when his or her job is to enforce laws as written, nothing more and nothing less. Let the legislatures make decisions on what the law should be and why.

As long as the citation book is put away, I'll take the lecture. Bring out the citation book? "Pardon my interruption but I feel the citation is lecture enough."

#3245128 - 01/11/14 04:57 PM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: Wilhelm_D]
Garak Offline

Loc: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
It burns me to get a lecture from an officer about "safety" when his or her job is to enforce laws as written, nothing more and nothing less.

There is far more to the job of a law enforcement officer than simply enforcing the law.

@Vikas: The legislation is generally written to exempt police and other emergency personnel from the cell phone rules. That's not hypocrisy. Would you consider it hypocrisy for a police officer to have to speed to pull over a speeder, or to run a red light to catch the guy who just ran the red light?

A police officer should have the moral fiber to not be texting his wife and kids while driving a patrol car. But, policing has evolved beyond call boxes for a good reason.

2008 Infiniti G37 coupe - Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40, Hastings LF113
1984 F-150 4.9L six - Quaker State GB 10w-30, Wix 51515

#3245138 - 01/11/14 05:20 PM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: jeremiah2360]
Shannow Online   content

Loc: a prison island
Originally Posted By: jeremiah2360
Originally Posted By: loyd
Well, you got it half right. It has been proven tht talking on a hands-free device is ALSO distracted driving. Think about it, if you're trying to listen closely to what somedone is telling you AND trying to formulate your reply, how much of your attention is really on the road and what's happening around you ?????????????

So no talking to passengers. Gimme a break with that control freak logic.

There IS a difference that I've observed personally...
1) Your passenger is also in the car, and knows if you are in twisty terrain, takes a breath when someone pulls out on you etc.
2) Unless the other person is driving too, they'll be asking questions (e.g. work) that require much more processing than passenger chatter or listening to the radio.

Not saying I'd ban hands free, but I've had to ask people to let me ring them back because the conversation took too much.

As to the OP, it's illegal in my state for my partner to even handle her phone rummaging through her handbag for a toll...technically, and our Police chief idjit has made that point "lock it in the boot before you move"...

At the same time, they made the law read that police officers can use them hands on, hands free, all day...they must be better trained drunk drivers (if that's the official analogy for not using phones).

#3245145 - 01/11/14 05:31 PM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: FowVay]
Jarlaxle Offline

Loc: New England
Originally Posted By: FowVay
As long as those in law enforcement continue to chat with their girlfriends/wives while operating their government provided motor vehicle I can only assume that it truly isnt' that grave of a danger.

THAT! They talk on phones, they text, they poke at data terminals, and they do it while whizzing down the left lane at 90MPH with no seat belt on! It's quite simple: cops are above the law!

Quote:
I would absolutely love to see the phone records of the thousands of cops who chat for hours on end while on duty.

So to answer the question - my view is that you should conduct this survey in the locker room at your place of business.

Yes! But of course, that will NEVER happen!

#3245149 - 01/11/14 05:37 PM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: Spazdog]
Jarlaxle Offline

Loc: New England
Originally Posted By: Spazdog

As long as the citation book is put away, I'll take the lecture. Bring out the citation book? "Pardon my interruption but I feel the citation is lecture enough."

That's a good way to get your teeth smashed in and/or meth planted in your car! Contempt of cop is a VERY serious matter!

#3245195 - 01/11/14 06:33 PM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: dernp]
wtd Offline

Loc: southwest Mo.
I personally have no problem with people talking on cell phones while driving, especially with all of the voice activated answering and hand free options on most phones these days. I've seen plenty of people just as distracted by talking to their passengers, dealing with kids in the car, changing stations on the radio, messing with the heating/AC controls. I've personally been distracted while driving just by having something on my mind that is bothering me and not really paying attention to my surroundings.

The cell phone ban while driving is just IMO, another governmental control to try and restrict people. It's another case of a few people doing something stupid while talking on a phone while driving, that effects everyone else and causes these laws to be made in the first place. That goes for pretty much every law out there. The mistakes of a few effect the majority. There are plenty of people that can talk and drive at the same time with no issues.
(2) 1992 Cavaliers
1970 Monte Carlo

#3245295 - 01/11/14 08:30 PM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: wtd]
Shannow Online   content

Loc: a prison island
Originally Posted By: wtd
The cell phone ban while driving is just IMO, another governmental control to try and restrict people.

The conspiracy theorist in me is heading down the line that smart phones, and photo/video capture are the real targets in the bans, particularly if merely touching the phone is an offence, as it's been brought into my state.

We've had fake roadworks set up on the highway, and a week long blockade with every vehicle and driver checked for a week, while the traffic report states "free flowing"...photos and uploading to social media in real time is not what they would want...

#3245378 - 01/11/14 10:06 PM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: hattaresguy]
JHZR2 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Some people can handle multi tasking, some cannot. Most drivers are quite bad at just driving, and all the technology manufactures keep jamming into cars is not going to help this.

OTOH this is the kind of nanny state nonsense that you don't see in other countries. In the islands you can do pretty much what you want when you drive and if you kill yourself your just a moron.

Depends on the island. In the VI, you're sure to get a cellphone or seatbelt ticket, but driving drunk or drinking from alcohol containers (all illegal) isn't nearly as enforced.

#3245464 - 01/12/14 12:09 AM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: dernp]
TiredTrucker Online   content

Loc: Kellogg, IA
Well, in commercial trucking, the fine against the driver for texting or not being hands free is $2750.00 per offense. For the company that driver works for, it is $11,000.00. that is getting pretty serious.

But, the OP story is interesting. The vehicle was stopped at a red light when the operator was talking on the phone. No indication that this was a threat to the general public's welfare. How is that different than if they were stopped along side the road talking on the cell phone. Oh, they might not be paying attention that the light turns green, but that still would not put people in danger, except maybe from high blood pressure because they let it get the best of them.

Then there is the clear abuse of the laws they seem bent on enforcing by themselves. It is a common occurrence to see laptops open and an LEO keying something, a LEO talking -- non hands free -- on their cell phone. I am a commercial driver and see scores of LEO's each day roaming around. I have yet to ever see one with a Blue Parrot headset or some other device to talk hands free. Yet I have seen a lot of them with the phone up against their head. Ah, but they're professionals! Well, I will cut them some slack when they get over 5 million miles of accident free driving under their belt like I have, and they go thru the series of exams I have to, to get the endorsements for my CDL, and they go thru all 3 levels of Arctic Driving Certification, again like me. Then I will consider them merely equals, not better.

#3245647 - 01/12/14 09:31 AM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: dernp]
Lapham3 Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Most all of my friends don't cell/text as we realize it's not good. I am in a law enforcement family and feel that cops are just people=some good-some not so much-too many do not set a good example. If I were king, many folks would not be driving-probably about a third-but we know many would still drive without a license/insurance, ect. Maybe the newer technology that can identify the driver can help deal with that

Page 4 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 13 >